Quantcast

Dodged a bullet

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
A couple of weeks ago I got the dreaded letter in the mail.

"You are hereby summoned for a special session of the Dutchess County Grand Jury"

Terrif. Just what I need. "If selected, you will serve no more than 2-3 days per week through mid-September and 1-2 days per week for the rest of the year."

I get to the court house and there like 150 potential jurors there. Holy Christ, how many freaking jurors do they need? I listen to the spiel and they say that if you are going to be out of town for more than a week during the session, you shouldn't serve on the jury. For once work travel pays off! A quick explanation I will be out for a week in September and another in October and I'm walking my way out of there.

I may have to serve a week in November, but I think I can deal with that.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well at least if you weren't traveling you could say you knew someone in the trial, but it's good you're off the hook.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
You can also walk into the court room, look at the defendant, and say "Hey! Holly ****. Its been a while".........

edit: damn you bicyclist...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Since I do all of my banking electronically I don't even pay attention to mail, assuming it is junk I just throw it away. I wonder how many jury summons I have gotten?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
tell the people doing the selecting that you can tell if a person is guilty just by looking at them.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
robdamanii said:
A racial epithet tends to get you removed from jury duty as well. Just a point someone very disturbed once told me.
This'll get you arrested for contempt of court.

(I did a lot of flying last week, and have seen first hand how stupid people can be.)

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
When I went to court to be a jurror I was just honest...no matter how many people disagree our sytem sucks these piece of sh;t criminals get away with way to much...We need to step up to the plate and start treating criminals like they deserve...........

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Great suggestions, but grand jury duty isn't even THAT fun. You don't even get to decide if the person is guilty or not, just whether there is enough evidence to proceed to trial. I'd be lucky if I ever saw the defendant.

And being the county of Dutchess (and mostly the city of Poughkeepsie), it would be a lot of drug possesion, assault, domestic disturbance types of cases. Tons of fun!