Quantcast

does a scab work for trials??

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
originally that's what I had planned on buying for trials... instead I went with a Specialized P.2, but I'm beginning to wonder if the BB height is a bit too low on the P.2 for my likings... I think the Scab would work fine; unless you don't think you can lift the bike in the air (in which case it would be a great workout for you). Anything CAN work for trials... it's more about your own skill than the bike. That being said though, take into consideration some of the tricks you want to do on your trials rig... then make sure you can do those with the scab or get something else...

letoyboy

Chimp
Nov 27, 2003
Springfield, VA
I was using an Azonic DS-1 for over a year as my make-shift, learning trials bike. When I think back to it, it had horrible geometry. The bottom bracket was way too low to the ground, the chainstays were too long (that was partly at fault because of my whacked out system to keep the wheel in place). When I got my Echo Urban (a true trials frame), I swear I gain like 10 points in skill. Point is, if all you have is something kinda danky to work with for now, and you can get good on it, once you do get a proper setup, you'll be a king.

TyF

Chimp
Feb 3, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
i have a p2 also and it is the worst "trials" bike i have ever ridden, its great for dirt jups or urban but suks for tirals, way to heavy, poor geo, low bb, etc. if you are serious about trials get a zoo! or echo. They are much less expensive than the fancy french frames and work just as well for beginners and sport riders alike. If you want a stock bike look at the pitbull or boa (both from zoo!) or the Urban or pure from echo. I have a pure and i must say it is one of the best trials bikes i have ever ridden in my life. feels great on the rear wheel, its light but might not be ideal for a beginner. go to www.webcyclery.com to check out some frames

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Originally posted by TyF
i have a p2 also and it is the worst "trials" bike i have ever ridden
What year is your P.2? Mine is a 2004 and from what I've read, the 2004 is much lighter than the 2003. As for the bottom bracket being low, I would definately agree...

TyF

Chimp
Feb 3, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
its an 03, i still dont think the geo works well for trials, that being said i did ride it as a trials bike for 4 months while i was wating on some parts for my trials bike and i did get more accurate with moves and much stonger too. You dont have to have a true trials bike to ride but it makes your life a lot easier and learning is much faster on a true trials frame

Mar 27, 2004
baltimore and boulder
No matter what you get, if isnt a trials frame, the geometry is going to be no good. Especailly with slalom frames and freeride hardtails, the bottom bracket tends to be very low either to keep the center of gravity low for cornering or to compensate for very tall forks on the freeride bikes. Obviously you can still learn on one of these bikes, almost everyone starts with a converted mountain bike, but eventually you are going to want a real trials frame.