Quantcast

Does anybody get up real early to get in Pre-work rides???

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Either road or trails?

I am trying to figure out a way to spend more time with my sons (I miss those two little monkeys like crazy) and also to beat the summer heat so I was thinking of trying to do some early early morning road and trail rides.

Does anyone else do this?

If so, what's your routine so that you can get back home and sh!t, shower, and shave in time to not be late for work??

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I do it once the heat of summer hits. Get up at the asscrack of dawn (~5am), eat breakfast, at the trailhead by 5:30. Ride. Finish by 7:00. Drive straight to work, shower, in the chair by 8:30.

BTW - what is this "shaving" you speak of? :confused:

-S.S.-

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Nope. I HATE mornings! If heat is an issue, I'll wait until after my daughter goes to bed at 8pm and then sneak out for a summertime night-ride from like 8:30-10:30.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
SkaredShtles said:
I do it once the heat of summer hits. Get up at the asscrack of dawn (~5am), eat breakfast, at the trailhead by 5:30. Ride. Finish by 7:00. Drive straight to work, shower, in the chair by 8:30.

BTW - what is this "shaving" you speak of? :confused:

-S.S.-
facial hair only - no junk shaving going on here. Nor leg shaving for that matter.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
During the winter I was getting up around 6:30am for 7am rides in order to be in class by 10am. I know 6:30 probably isn't that early to most of you, but on a college campus when no one is asleep before midnight 6:30 comes quite quickly.

I'd usually set out everything the night before. Basically I'd roll out of bed, throw on my road gear, grab some bread with PB on it as I went out the door and be pedalling by 6:45, if I was meeting someone I'd sit around for them to show up and we'd be off.

Coming back was always crazy, especially if I was riding with someone new and they were slower than I was used to. Basically though I would have clothing and stuff for the day lying out next to the cycling gear, so when I got back all I had to do was throw some oatmeal in the microwave, hop in the shower, eat the oatmeal and get dressed. Took about 10-15 minutes. Then depending on how much time I had I would walk or ride to class.

Back home during the summer I'd usually do 7am trail rides, but then I worked at a shop and we didn't open up until 11am.

If you commute to work you may want to consider stashing some clothing at work so that you can skip going back home and just ride to work. I guess that only works if you have a place to shower or wash down.

Early morning rides are incredible though. You feel all tough and hardcore for being out there first thing in the morning and you are energized for the rest of the day. Nothing like going from a resting pulse of 35 to 150+ in the first 10 minutes of your day(I usually started off the ride with a sprint just to wake myself up).

The Ito

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'll do it in stretches... 4 days a week for 3 or 4 weeks, then not again for 2 weeks. My body just can't take it on a consistant, long term basis. It's light here about 5:30 now, so I'll get up early for a trail run or bike ride or hike with the dogs or whatever. Of course, that was before we had a 2month old who likes to wake up at 5:30, but once upon a time that was the case.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I always think about getting up and doing a morning ride... I can't ever seem to drag my butt out of bed early enough.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
MMcG said:
I do have lights. But there aren't a ton of places that "allow" night riding close by and I wouldn't want to do a solo "lights" ride.
Ah. The riding solo part is kind of sketchy. I will stay away from anything high risk at night. Must be a park if closed at night?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i do the early thing to beat the heat. Sometimes i'm on the road for 3 or 4 hours to get to a trail, and Eastern Washington in the summer is pretty much like Southern California. So it's not uncommon for me to get a super early start.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
ROCKLAND said:
Ah. The riding solo part is kind of sketchy. I will stay away from anything high risk at night. Must be a park if closed at night?
The closest trails that I'm the most familiar with are the W. Hartford Reservoir Trails and they close at sunset.

I generally loath getting out of bed early, but morning rides in the summer here in Utah 1) beat the heat, and 2) beat the crowds, so you can rip on trails where normally there's too much prime-time traffic to do much more than putter along.

About 2-3x a week, I'll get up about 6:15, make some coffee (critical to going fast that early and not dying!), and drive up the canyon to (generally) just outside Park City, or up Millcreek Canyon. Ride for about 1.5hrs, head home, grab a 5 min shower and the laptop, and am at the office by about 9:45am.

Despite the many practical advantages of AM riding, the key to me actually getting up when the alarmn goes off is, undoubtedly, the coffee. :D Needs to be strong, from fresh beans, and generally locally roasted for maximum aroma. ...Yes, I'm an addict. :love:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Sadly, I work at 7AM every weekday, so early morning rides usually aren't an option for me (In addition to the fact that I'm not a morning person...at all). I like to go for night rides, however.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
blue said:
Sadly, I work at 7AM every weekday, so early morning rides usually aren't an option for me (In addition to the fact that I'm not a morning person...at all). I like to go for night rides, however.
yea, I gotta be here at 7:30... makes for little time in the AM.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
It always sounds like a great idea the night before....but then, not so much in the a.m. In the winter I will get up and hop on the trainer for a quick ride (I'm sure my neighbor loves that incessant grinding noise at 7 a.m.)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I used to, and will when I heal. They are awesome; never anyone else out there, morning smells great in the forest, and you have something to cherish all day. :)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
up at 2:30am
on the trail at 5:00am at times...

why...see pics I took recently. There is nothing like catching the sunrise and you get the trails all to yourself.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Acadian said:
up at 2:30am
on the trail at 5:00am at times...
Is that Rancho San Antonio? Looks like it. I've run there a few tims, never ridden, the singletrack looks fairly limited. Pretty though, I'll have to check it out this summer.

The Ito

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
That's the only way to ride for me. I have two little monkeys myself and I get up at 5:30 to 6:30 and ride until 9-9:30 get home, eat, shower, kiss the woman and roll to work by 11. If you work earlier, get up earlier or ride shorter. It's awesome. No people, the sunrise, nice cool weather and it's the best way to start the day.

splat

Nam I am
Yup !

I get up and ride to work a lot of times, some times depending on my mood ( and the time ) i will take a longer way in , also Tuesday Morning Iget up and Play an hour of hockey before going to work ! it is the best !

on my way to work this morning I saw a Coyote in one of my neighbors yards!

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
MMcG said:
the W. Hartford Res opens at the crack of dawn 5:15 a.m. - may have to give it a go tomorrow morning!
God bless ya! It takes all I have to roll my ass out of bed at 6:30 to go to work. I am NOT a morning person. Trying to get up a 4:00am would = :dead: I'm in a different situation then you, no kids. I do my rides on the way home from work, on the weekend, or the Thursday Night ride with Splat and IF.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm thinking of these early morning rides so I can see my kids more often after work during the summer months.

It would be cool to have someone join me - but I may have to go it alone for a bit.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
berkshire_rider said:
Anywhere close to work you can ride? How flexible are they where you work? Maybe you could start work early and take a long lunch to ride 2 or 3 days a week. :confused:
Access to showers is a problem where I work.

Plus it's cooler in the a.m. - it was hotter than hell at noontime today - 89 - 90 degrees!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I have to be headed to work at 6:30.........too early for me to do pre work rides

solo has its advantages, go out your pace, never have to wait for anyone......if you can find the motivation to go & ride hard it would be a great workout!