Quantcast

Does anybody have an Idea what the Norba National Series looks like for 2006 ?

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
570
0
Catonsville, MD
I'm trying to get an Idea what new venues , number of races and expected dates.

Also I heard talk that the US Nationals might move toward the East Coast for 2006. Can anyone provide some color here?
 

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
2,334
0
Chatsworth
Msisle Dad said:
I'm trying to get an Idea what new venues , number of races and expected dates.

Also I heard talk that the US Nationals might move toward the East Coast for 2006. Can anyone provide some color here?
It's kind of hard to say, at this point. I know there has been some rumors going around, but until NORBA makes its announcement, it's everyones' guess.

Rather than see NORBA put on a lot of mediocre to bad races, I would like to see less races done right...
 

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
1,093
0
where everyone is
no snowmass, no idaho, no west virginia were the last things i heard, also some venue in north or south carolina with a lift that takes like 50 minutes or something?

don't know how certain these are, but pretty sure.

everyone should boycott the 06 norba series and do local/fun races. i won't go to any nationals next year.
 

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
15,922
8
Over your shoulder whispering
©2001 said:
no snowmass, no idaho, no west virginia were the last things i heard, also some venue in north or south carolina with a lift that takes like 50 minutes or something?

don't know how certain these are, but pretty sure.

everyone should boycott the 06 norba series and do local/fun races. i won't go to any nationals next year.
HAH! You don't do Nationals...you only do URBAN photo shoots with planned "GNAR" expressions from the riders wearing salad bowls for helmets in surreal settings and "huckin" stylie lean to the camera angle.
PHHHFFFTTT! Poser.
 

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
2,334
0
Chatsworth
©2001 said:
no snowmass, no idaho, no west virginia were the last things i heard, also some venue in north or south carolina with a lift that takes like 50 minutes or something?

don't know how certain these are, but pretty sure.

everyone should boycott the 06 norba series and do local/fun races. i won't go to any nationals next year.

It's almost like NORBA is trying to destroy racing...

Personally, I like the way Donnie Jackson puts on his races, and would like to see more races put on by the Southridge crew. He runs a pretty small operation, but he does it right. He gives the pros and semi-pros prize money, that's more than NORBA can say...
 

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
5,999
2,414
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Not sure about West Coast/Rockies venue locations, but there is one scheduled for Sugar Mountain in North Carolina (near Boone, NC)...My understanding is that it will replace the Snowshoe event, and I'm hoping that it will be roughly in the same time period (i.e. August/September)...

As for the '50 minute lift', I seriously doubt that is the case...I've raced this mountain several times, and it takes 20 minutes to get 75% up the mountain...So, I'd say 25-30 minutes to get to the top...That said, I'm also under the impression that the lift can be run faster than what we've experienced at the annual DH event here, and thusly one would expect them to crank it up for a NORBA event...How much faster is anybody's guess...I'll let Butch and the other SEI guys bitch to one another about that issue :sneaky:

IMO, it's a fun venue, that if lengthed a little, would certainly be a worthy NORBA Natty course...A lot will depend on how the management at Sugar allow the courses to be designed and by whom...It really has the potential to be a great event as long as they let some locals have an significant amount of influence...


I would also guess they would do Mt. Snow again as well...I wonder if they would ever consider Mountain Creek or Platty?
 

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
15,922
8
Over your shoulder whispering
Doubt you'll see NORBA at Mountain Creek. They don't want to dilute their US Open extravaganza to put one on.
As for other venues, some people to inquire with are Kelly Lusk @ NORBA. You can get her email from the contact section of NORBA's website.
The 2 big decision makers for '06 are Jeff Forst and Tom Spiegel, of Blue Wolf Productions and Team Big Bear, respectively. Go to www.norbanationals.com for their contact info or http://www.norbanationals.com/guide/geninfo.shtml or Team Big Bear's website. They're the promoters. I'd like to know myself who the venues will be.

Sugar is a definite for '06, the weekend of June 9-11. They've already got it in their '06 ski brochures. No clue on other venues.
Tom Spiegel
Team Big Bear
PO Box 2932
Big Bear Lake, CA 92315
E mail:
janet@teambigbear.com

Jeffery Frost
BlueWolf Events
1739 West Christmas Cholla
Scottsdale, AZ 85255
E mail:
timbermtb@msn.com
 

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
521
11
AZ
alright Butch, I am going to give the east coast one more chance. I am counting on you, as well as holding you responsible for the quality of this event. See ya at Sugar.
 

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
15,922
8
Over your shoulder whispering
SinatorJ said:
alright Butch, I am going to give the east coast one more chance. I am counting on you, as well as holding you responsible for the quality of this event. See ya at Sugar.
you're not coming for the race...you're coming cause you miss the Dirty South and homemade grits!!! You redneck!
 

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
521
11
AZ
Snowshoe was not the true "Dirty" South. I miss the Banjos and Moonshine. Should be a good road trip.
 

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
5,604
281
Walden Ridge
I'm only doing Sugar as a NORBA next year. NO others. Its local and I'd do it anyway even if wasn't a NORBA. However I'm going to focus on the Snowshoe and Diablo series stuff. I'll also make one trip out west to ride with my BRO SinatorJ. Montana you say?
 

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
2,334
0
Chatsworth
I'm sure there will be more and more pros passing on NORBA races. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Brian Lopes didn't even do one NORBA race this season.

Hopefully, NORBA will get a clue and make some changes...
 

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
1,093
0
where everyone is
butch, you were telling everyone at west virginia national that the lift at sugar was 50 minutes and that no one should go...is that true or not?

as for your freechuck comments, i'm still shooting racing, sea otter, u.s. open, world cups, the west virginia race that will be put on by the mountain, chile challenge at angel fire, if it offers world cup points, crankworx and whatever else comes up that is worthwhile.

i'm just not going to NATIONALS. norba doesn't take gravity racing seriously, so i won't take them seriously.
 

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
15,922
8
Over your shoulder whispering
©2001 said:
butch, you were telling everyone at west virginia national that the lift at sugar was 50 minutes and that no one should go...is that true or not?

as for your freechuck comments, i'm still shooting racing, sea otter, u.s. open, world cups, the west virginia race that will be put on by the mountain, chile challenge at angel fire, if it offers world cup points, crankworx and whatever else comes up that is worthwhile.

i'm just not going to NATIONALS. norba doesn't take gravity racing seriously, so i won't take them seriously.
damnit you e-hucker...I was yanking your chain and folking with you. for some reason all the friggin smiley's and kick to the nuts stuff are not popping up on my computer today so I couldn't throw in some visual comedy for ya. THink the tech geek here at work is messing with settings?

You're the best e-photog we got and I always give you mad props (me speaky SoCal lingo Smoovely).
As for the lift at Sugar, no I NEVER said that(that would be all the e-haters). I think during the tourist trip that is round trip from the bottom to top and back is 45 minutes total? They run the lift slow int he summer cuase there are more sightsee'ers than bikers. So are you coming to NC to film again? Did you come for that whole Cane Creek/Michelin trip?
 

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Merjig is right. Mammoth is going to be in the MIDDLE of the year instead of the end. I also heard they are only going to have 6 venues including mammoth instead of 8 like this year. 2001 said it with no idaho and no snowmass, but sugar is replacing Snowshoe. I hope they run Deervalley again and maybe they'll have something new in Colorado. Bummer about Idaho, I only got to race there once and ended up havin a real bad weekend, I was hoping to make amends this year.
 

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
570
0
Catonsville, MD
based on feedback from here and other sources It is probably five venues (and the us nationals)
Deer Valley, Sugar, Brian Head, and Mt Snow , not sure of the 5th. Any Ideas?

I also heard that the US Nat's will be in July, but there was the posibility of a different venue , Either East Coast or Somewhere in the middle.
 

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
937
0
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Msisle Dad said:
based on feedback from here and other sources It is probably five venues (and the us nationals)
Deer Valley, Sugar, Brian Head, and Mt Snow , not sure of the 5th. Any Ideas?
Angelfire would be cool. There's gotta be something for us coloradoans/midwesterners.
 

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
2,445
0
Ventura,CA
Mammoth is the national championship for sure next year. In July to line it up better with euro national champioship races.

MTB Nationals return to Mammoth in July '06

Colorado Springs, Colo. (July 12, 2005)—The USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships will return to Mammoth Mountain, Calif. in 2006 but will shift to an earlier date, the national governing body announced today.

Scheduled for July 20-23, 2006, next season’s USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships falls more closely in line with the traditional mid-summer UCI date.

“I think this will be another welcome change for our members,” commented USA Cycling chief executive officer Gerard Bisceglia. “With last year’s new format and now a more attractive date during the heart of the mountain bike season, we’re much better aligned with the rest of the international mountain biking community.”

In 2004, the inaugural one-day USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships altered the way national champions were crowned as a season-long national championship series was no longer used.

2006 will mark the third consecutive year that Mammoth Mountain has hosted the event.

With a new date in place for ’06, a new qualifying timeline has also been introduced. Riders who meet the qualifying standards beginning August 1, 2005 will be eligible to compete at the 2006 USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships.

As a result of the new date and new qualifying window, a six-week period late this summer also affords the opportunity for USA Cycling members to qualify for both the 2005 and 2006 championship events. Riders who meet the qualifying standards between August 1, 2005 and September 12, 2005 will automatically be qualified to participate in the 2005 and 2006 editions.
 

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
13,830
0
Victoria, BC
blt2ride said:
It's almost like NORBA is trying to destroy racing...

Personally, I like the way Donnie Jackson puts on his races, and would like to see more races put on by the Southridge crew. He runs a pretty small operation, but he does it right. He gives the pros and semi-pros prize money, that's more than NORBA can say...
and the Vet pro class as well....D
 
Jul 17, 2003
832
0
Salt Lake City
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if NORBA is trying to kill DH racing, won't boycotting the national series be the nail in the coffin?

I know it's expensive to go to races, but it's a lot of fun. Look at it like you're going to a SX race in another state and you're going to be there for the whole weekend with a bunch of your buddies: it's less money than buying a front row seat at a supercross, and you get to ride the course for three or four days!
 

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
5,604
281
Walden Ridge
Yeah, but when I can go to a Diablo race, pay $70 and get in 10 hours of ride time in two days, why would I to go to a NORBA and pay about the same for 5 hours of practice over 3 days?

Local Diablo and Snowshoe races = :D
NORBAs = :dead:
 

biker3

Turbo Monkey
James | Go-Ride said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if NORBA is trying to kill DH racing, won't boycotting the national series be the nail in the coffin?

I know it's expensive to go to races, but it's a lot of fun. Look at it like you're going to a SX race in another state and you're going to be there for the whole weekend with a bunch of your buddies: it's less money than buying a front row seat at a supercross, and you get to ride the course for three or four days!
Word, Everyone feel free to boycott Norba. This will mean shorter lift lines, More practice time and less hold ups on the track. Im all for these people who are ALWAYS looking for something to complain about. There is no need starting another norba argument, but I love racing and I dont have the privelage to travel Europe or Canada for all the "totally awesome /perfect" races that everyone talks about compared to norba. I seriously don't know what all these people go to races for anyway? Do you guys go to critique the logistical organization and coordination of the event or do you actually go to race? I went to every Norba this year and all I can say is I had a BLAST at every one. I got to ride the sweetest tracks in the country and race/hangout with kids my age from all over. All this makes me sick, I got out of competitive baseball and basketball because of this crap and yet its still here in such a small sport. Last time I checked it was about the RIDE and until Norba stops me from riding the tracks they build I will be going to every single race they hold.
 

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
5,604
281
Walden Ridge
biker3 said:
Word, Everyone feel free to boycott Norba. This will mean shorter lift lines, More practice time and less hold ups on the track. Im all for these people who are ALWAYS looking for something to complain about. There is no need starting another norba argument, but I love racing and I dont have the privelage to travel Europe or Canada for all the "totally awesome /perfect" races that everyone talks about compared to norba. I seriously don't know what all these people go to races for anyway? Do you guys go to critique the logistical organization and coordination of the event or do you actually go to race? I went to every Norba this year and all I can say is I had a BLAST at every one. I got to ride the sweetest tracks in the country and race/hangout with kids my age from all over. All this makes me sick, I got out of competitive baseball and basketball because of this crap and yet its still here in such a small sport. Last time I checked it was about the RIDE and until Norba stops me from riding the tracks they build I will be going to every single race they hold.
Dude. Go to a Diablo or Snowshoe Mayhem race and you'll understand why NORBAs aren't a good value for your time and money. I tried racing the last Diablo race and got hurt at the end of Saturday and wasn't able to race or ride on Sunday. I wasn't bummed at all. I still got in more riding in ONE day than I did at any NORBA I did this summer.
 

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
937
0
kol-uh-RAD-oh
profro said:
Dude. Go to a Diablo or Snowshoe Mayhem race and you'll understand why NORBAs aren't a good value for your time and money. I tried racing the last Diablo race and got hurt at the end of Saturday and wasn't able to race or ride on Sunday. I wasn't bummed at all. I still got in more riding in ONE day than I did at any NORBA I did this summer.
Total riding time is not the only reason why people go to races. If all I wanted was 6 hours of lift accessed riding, I would head over to the local resort for the afternoon. I go to races because of the venue, scenery, courses, comradery, riding time etc... And the NORBAs that I have been to were never lacking in those areas. None of the local races in my area conflict with the Nationals so the only excuse for me not to attend is the lack of funds.
 

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
516
0
Headed to the lift...
Yes, racing is all about riding. This is something you do not get to do at Nationals. I love traveling to different venues and riding different places. When I am there I want to be riding my bike not hanging out in the parking lot. I will travel to places like Diablo and Bromont because you can ride your bike at those races. Mt. Snow last year I was there for three days and I think I went down the hill 7 times. Where do I sign so I can do that again :rolleyes:

I will not be at a NMBS race this year unless it is less than three hours away. That way I can go practice then leave and go do something productive the rest of the day. I will not pay to hang out in the parking lot.
 

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
633
0
SLC, UT
Are you guys nuts? Clearly if NORBA was trying to kill the sport they would do things like schedule Expert 4X finals during DH practice and raise the cost of licensing every year and lose TV contracts and change the 4X gate start procedure every race and stuff like that.
 
Feb 10, 2003
595
0
A, A
Threepointtwo said:
Are you guys nuts? Clearly if NORBA was trying to kill the sport they would do things like schedule Expert 4X finals during DH practice and raise the cost of licensing every year and lose TV contracts and change the 4X gate start procedure every race and stuff like that.

LMFAO...i just shot milk thru my nose..thats hilarious
 

biker3

Turbo Monkey
profro said:
Dude. Go to a Diablo or Snowshoe Mayhem race and you'll understand why NORBAs aren't a good value for your time and money. I tried racing the last Diablo race and got hurt at the end of Saturday and wasn't able to race or ride on Sunday. I wasn't bummed at all. I still got in more riding in ONE day than I did at any NORBA I did this summer.
I most certainly agree they are better venues. There is no arguing that. I will have at least one of each in the schedule next year but I will still be at the Norbas as well. Im prepared to pay the price of racing, I dont see racing as needing to get the most out of my money because regardless of where you are racing, its a damn expensive sport. There is no getting around that, but when people who have 2 $3500+ bikes and then complain about 5-10 dollar entry fee raises I must question them. If I want to get the most out of my money I will go shuttle my local trail, but will this be the same to me as racing? No and thats why I'm willing to pay the price. I understand the time issue, and I agree with you, but I am not fully supporting myself yet so I can't comment on that.