Quantcast

Does anybody have experience with DT Pro Lock nipples?

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
S.G.D said:
shut up. just, close your mouth and stop talking. you obviously have no idea what you have gotten yourself into, so just shut your mouth.
<snip migrane inducing image>
Please, lets not be stupider than he is by posting images like that.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Urban FR'er 666 said:
You guys say it is so important to oil the eyelet, but yet out of all the sciezed nipples, that I have seen, it has allways been the threads that were sciezed. I have never seen a single nipple sciezed in the eyelets! Even on old rusted steel rimmed wheels! Threrefore, I see no reason for the oil, especially w/alloy rims(corrotion resistant)!
It's for when you build the wheel as explained previously in the thread. Of course most of it is going to get washed off after a few dozen rides.

You want to reduce friction when building as you are going to be tightening at least 32 nipples. Why save a few seconds not doing it when it makes tightening the nipples easier?
Same reason you use oil/grease/spoke prep/etc. on the spoke threads. The easier it is to turn the nipple on the spoke threads the easier it is to get the spoke tight enough.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
Urban FR'er 666 said:
You guys must be wimps if you need oil to help you tighten brandnew nipples on brandnew spokes in brandnew rims, because I find them pretty damn easy to tighten, and pretty damn smooth w/o any oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds to me like "OVER-OBSCESSIVE" dissorder!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i vote post of the year.

I thought this was a pretty cool site at first, but now I see it's nothing more than a bin full of rude-ass drug-addicts(hence all the pot threads and the drug-rehab link bottom right corner), with nothing better to do than sit around and insult people!

PHUCKING DISGUSTING P.O.S. SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
And now people know why I have a strong dislike for the words "urban" and "Freerider".

All you need is the word "grassroots" in your screen name and you will be 100% gooned out.

And for the 100th time-do not oil the threads jackoff...I will use loctite depending on time constraints and whose wheels they are.

This thread rules.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
Urban FR'er 666 said:
I thought this was a pretty cool site at first, but now I see it's nothing more than a bin full of rude-ass drug-addicts(hence all the pot threads and the drug-rehab link bottom right corner), with nothing better to do than sit around and insult people!

Urban FR'er 666 said:
You must be a total moron!:rolleyes:
another classic post considering you're the dude who cracked off the first insult.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Urban FR'er 666 said:
You guys must be wimps if you need oil to help you tighten brandnew nipples on brandnew spokes in brandnew rims, because I find them pretty damn easy to tighten, and pretty damn smooth w/o any oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds to me like "OVER-OBSCESSIVE" dissorder!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. Do you want your wheels built by some who is "OVER-OBSCESSIVE", or by some dum-ass slacker?
2. Do you want your wheels built by someone who cannot spell "obsessive"?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sanjuro said:
1. Do you want your wheels built by some who is "OVER-OBSCESSIVE", or by some dum-ass slacker?
2. Do you want your wheels built by someone who cannot spell "obsessive"?
or "disorder" for that matter.

Pinkbike refugees make me laugh.

sanjuro said:
someone who cannot spell "obsessive"?
:rolleyes:

What a low-life, I have seen plenty of mis-spelled words on this site, but atleast I don't make the effort to point them out to make fun of people!:nopity:

Just because something is mis-spelled, doesn't mean I don't realize it, it just means I don't care enough to correct it, just for the eyes of you pieces of SH!T!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can play the picture game too!!!!!!!!!

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
Means he's going to use his E* god powers and get you banned from the thread or site, don't sweat it. I honestly don't now how he's a mod/admin when 98% of his posts are smart ass remarks against someone, I beleive he thinks hes "witty".

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Urban FR'er 666 said:
Oh, That's ok, I allready sent the request form to the admins, to take my name off this P.O.S. site! I'm just haveing fun seeing where this goes untill the inevitable happens! I don't know what I was thinking when I joined this P.O.S. site! I guess I just thought it was another chance to sell stuff.
By leaving this site, you lose the opportunity to learn from a Pro Team Mechanic (stiknstones), a bike magazine publisher (transcend), or a know-it-all (me).

On the other hand, we lose another b*tch we were punking out.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, Ben, did you f'up the spoke cutter? Eric was complaining about it and you are one of the suspects?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Not that I want to get involved with a no-nothing internet loser (that is what I have TheMontashu for), but you were right.

You are not suppose to oil the threads, but you either misread the offending thread or it was not written clearly enough.

However, you have been a little girl about this whole thing, so buh-bye.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i wonder if Urban FR'er 666 has any friends. i mean, hes bitching about how the site sucks and how he hates this place and hes gonna leave so why doesnt he just leave? get a life douchebag.

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
gnurider1080 said:
i wonder if Urban FR'er 666 has any friends. i mean, hes bitching about how the site sucks and how he hates this place and hes gonna leave so why doesnt he just leave? get a life douchebag.
Do you? why worry about what other people are worrying about?:nopity:

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
sanjuro said:
BTW, Ben, did you f'up the spoke cutter? Eric was complaining about it and you are one of the suspects?
Actually, yeah, I did. I snuck into the shop about 2 weeks ago at 3am and hit it really hard with a hammer. Then I took a torch to it so that the metal would warp and it wouldn't run smoothly. And to top it off, I put red loctite on all the moving parts, just to make sure you guys could never cut another spoke ever again! Muahahaha!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dexterq20 said:
Actually, yeah, I did. I snuck into the shop about 2 weeks ago at 3am and hit it really hard with a hammer. Then I took a torch to it so that the metal would warp and it wouldn't run smoothly. And to top it off, I put red loctite on all the moving parts, just to make sure you guys could never cut another spoke ever again! Muahahaha!
Is that what happened? We thought it was some asshat ex-employee who didn't know how to use the spoke cutter correctly.

BTW bitch, are you in town? We did this super ride today....

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
sanjuro said:
BTW bitch, are you in town? We did this super ride today....
Yeah, I'm here, but only for a couple days. Got into town late on Xmas eve, spent today w/ the family, going out of town to visit a friend for the next two days, then I'm heading back to SB on the 29th. Are you working on the 28th? If so, I'll stop by and bother you guys.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Urban FR'er 666 said:

So leave *shrugs* no loss to us. :nopity:

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
was curious to how a spoke nipple thread hit five pages, now i know,
what a bloody fiasco

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Urban FR'er 666 said:
GEE...? The oil lets the nipple back off...

Please explain how this is wrong(this should be interesting).
This is a guy who builds wheels w/ oil and grease for myself and all my buds. YOU ARE WRONG, even w/ your "concept" of oil. They don't come loose when the wheel is properly tensioned. On my builds, they typically need one retensioning after the first ride and they're good for a VERY long time after (say about 4 years on a 36 hole rhyno lite in a 3x w/ alloy nips laced to an old Razor Rock 20mm front). The rear, laced to a Hayes/Hugi lasted the same amount of time before I retired it and relaced w/ a fresh rim because I was worried about fatigue since the rear sees more abuse than the front.

Suggestion, unless you can and do build and maintain your own equipement, don't comment on things that ppl are/have been doing for years, less others will take you as what you originally called Stix.:cool:
This should be applied to ALL matters in life, including the stuff you learn from books (yes, that means you should have some humility even with a graduate degree - altho if you did have a graduate degree, you would know this and we wouldn't be having this discussion). Theory and actual application are two VERY different things and experience will win 99% of the time.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
hey there i will tell a little story about spoke prep and grease/oil. the first couple of wheel that i biuld i used grease on some and spoke prep on others.

spoke prep:
wheels would loss tenstion and spokes would break some times.

oil/grease:
oil on nipple rim interface
grease on spoke threads
they would loosen sometimes but not that much

then later i got the idea to make a stiffer wheel and started running much higher tenstion. before i was running about 85 on a tenstionometer and later i started running about the equivilent of 110 on the same meter. this is about 130 kg (it might be lbs. though) of tenstion on each spoke. this created a really stiff wheel that held true under some of the hardest beating (a lot of urban drops and one super hard square edge hit) that wheel lasted me for a long long time. that wheel was biult with oil and grease then later i though that i would biuld a very simular wheel with spoke prep and the wheel hard problem much the same as the past.

my conculsion use OIL AND GREASE!!!
the testion on the spokes will stop them from moving. every wheel i have biult this way for me and customers has held up very well through out time.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
aye, if you got enough tension with oil/grease then they wont come loose, if theyre coming loose then its down to bad tensioning.