Quantcast

Does anybody have experience with DT Pro Lock nipples?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I know they've been around for a while, and they seem like a great idea, but I just haven't heard anything about them. Do they seem to make a real difference in wheel strength? One thing I was curious about is if they make wheel truing difficult, since they are meant to resist turning and twisting.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Hmmm... never had to bump a thread in the DH forum before. I guess there's a first time for everything... :think:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I have done a few hundred wheels with it, a few hundy without. For me it is not worth the time in preparation...and I always oil my nipple/eyelet anyway and thats all that stuff does is allow threads to not get stuck and allow them to move freely. I also pre stretch my spokes during the build so I do not have to worry about them coming loose.

I am rambling, but point it, use it and you will be fine, don't and you will be fine.

stiksandstones said:
I always oil my nipple/eyelet anyway and thats all that stuff does is allow threads to not get stuck and allow them to move freely.
You must be a total moron!:rolleyes:

The Pro-Locks(hence the word Lock in there) They don't "promote free movement", They do exactly the opposite!:mumble:

They are nipples with the Spoke-prep already in them so you don't have to deal with the mess!

These are the best, All the custom wheels I have had made for me, I've had made w/these, and they have never needed trueing! They don't make the trueing difficult! they just add enough friction so that they don't vibrate loose! I also love them, because they make them in black(which is rare for brass nipples)!!!:drool: When I have had wheels built w/o these, they always have loose spokes soon after built!!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wow..pot meet kettle.

Do you actually know who you are talking to, and how many hundred wheels he has built? I'm guessing, just guessing, that he may know a thing or 2 more than you about building wheels.

That's so great that you have "custom" wheels built for you, you must feel extremely special. If you know so much about wheels, more than someone who used to do it for a living for the fastest riders on the planet, why don't you build your own?

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
Urban FR'er 666 said:
hahahahahaahHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAJhahahAHAHAHAHAHAAJHHhahHAHAJHS;as
sa
ad
SJKAHAAGAGAGHGSAHAHAHSAHAHSHASHAJHAHAJhsjhahahahahhahahaahahahahahahhahaahajhskjhgagHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
They have some loctite-esque stuff in them that acts sorta like a nylock nut making it firm to twist but not seized. I like them and have built many wheels with them but I've also built many w/o them. I basically agree with stik in that you can't go wrong either way as long as the build is [mchammer]propa'[/mchammer].

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dexterq20 said:
I know they've been around for a while, and they seem like a great idea, but I just haven't heard anything about them. Do they seem to make a real difference in wheel strength? One thing I was curious about is if they make wheel truing difficult, since they are meant to resist turning and twisting.
Your old boss swears by them now. The one who is a beer swilling master wheelbuilder....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
punkassean said:
They have some loctite-esque stuff in them that acts sorta like a nylock nut making it firm to twist but not seized. I like them and have built many wheels with them but I've also built many w/o them. I basically agree with stik in that you can't go wrong either way as long as the build is [mchammer]propa'[/mchammer].
Exactly, it also helps to lubricate the nipple so that it NEVER seizes - basically you will always get the same predictable friction. Sorta like using linseed oil, only less messy.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
stiksandstones said:
...and I always oil my nipple/eyelet anyway
So you oil your spoke threads even though the spoke prep is already in the nipple? Interesting...

sanjuro said:
Your old boss swears by them now. The one who is a beer swilling master wheelbuilder....
Ah, so he's moved on from the DT Spoke Freez? How is that old kook doing, anyways?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
dexterq20 said:
So you oil your spoke threads even though the spoke prep is already in the nipple? Interesting...
No, I said the nipple/eyelet. (this whole topic I assume we are talking about DT's thread lock compound you put on the spokes)

When the wheel is assembled, I drip one drop of oil where the nipple comes through the eyelet...Oil never sees the threads.

As for the clown calling me a moron, perhaps, but I do not fancy myself being great at many things, but I do feel I build the best wheels-ones that have won more pro races and titles than anyone else...not to mention the countless johnny locals I build for, whom are still riding my wheels 5-10 years later.

I guess you too did not read my post...but that thread compound locks the thread without seizing it, therefore giving it a slight lubrication, is that what the manual says? I don't know, I do not read manuals, I go from experience.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I've been running DT alloy prolocks on the rear wheel of my DH bike for a few months now, and it has stayed tight and true quite well. Don't know if i'd say it's any better than with regular nipples, but hey it sounds good in theory. :)

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
Urban FR'er 666 said:

The Pro-Locks(hence the word Lock in there) They don't "promote free movement", They do exactly the opposite!:mumble:

They are nipples with the Spoke-prep already in them so you don't have to deal with the mess!

These are the best, All the custom wheels I have had made for me, I've had made w/these, and they have never needed trueing! They don't make the trueing difficult! they just add enough friction so that they don't vibrate loose! I also love them, because they make them in black(which is rare for brass nipples)!!!:drool: When I have had wheels built w/o these, they always have loose spokes soon after built!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Urban FR'er 666 said:
Any body knows you don't oil the nipples, when building a wheel, unless you want it to fall appart! The friction is what holds it together!
You are an idiot. You don't even build your own wheels, yet you're giving bad advice on how to build wheels. Good work, spanky. :stosh:

You don't have to build your own wheels to know that you don't oil the nipples. Just the fact that Spoke prep is a mild form of thread-lock(in other words: "Friction inducer"), is enough to know that you shouldn't add a "Friction reducer"!!!!!

And FYI, I have built my own wheel before, but after doing so, I descided it's more worth it to pay someone else to do so, so that if something goes wrong durring the build, that's their problem to deal with...

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Urban FR'er 666 said:
You don't have to build your own wheels to know that you don't oil the nipples. Just the fact that Spoke prep is a mild form of thread-lock(in other words: "Friction inducer"), is enough to know that you shouldn't add a "Friction reducer"!!!!!

And FYI, I have built my own wheel before, but after doing so, I descided it's more worth it to pay someone else to do so, so that if something goes wrong durring the build, that's their problem to deal with...

Youve built ONE wheel and you were dissing Stik, whos built more wheels than youve had hot dinners.?

Comedy gold.

GEE...? Has anybody thought of the fact that the company DTswiss who manufactures all parts used in the making of a wheel, suggests using spoke-prep, and spoke-prep even says right on it not to add oil???????????????????

And I'm sure DTswiss has built a h3ll of alott more wheels than stiks and all you
D!CKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Urban FR'er 666 said:
GEE...? Has anybody thought of the fact that the company DTswiss who manufactures all parts used in the making of a wheel, suggests using spoke-prep, and spoke-prep even says right on it not to add oil???????????????????

And I'm sure DTswiss has built a h3ll of alott more wheels than stiks and all you
D!CKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SPOKE PREP IS OIL, YOU FLAMING IDIOT. It reduces friction during assembly so that you can build the wheel easier (or in your case, others can). It then tacks up to keep things from coming undone just by looking at them.

Spoke prep says do not add oil, BECAUSE IT IS A FRICTION REDUCER. The regular oil goes on the OUTSIDE of the nipple in order to allow it to spin in the eyelet freely while building and trueing.

Holy crap, do not argue with an entire thread that knows more then you do about a given subject. You clearly have no idea who Stik is however, which makes this thread all the more humourous.

Please, go back to pinkbike. You claim it is so much better...so just go.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Urban FR'er 666 said:
Spoke prep may have oil in it yes, but the point of it is to harden later to keep the spoke from backing off! Regular oil lets the nipples back off, and you endup with a really loose wheel!

give up, your still wrong.

Transcend just gave you some good advice.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Urban FR'er 666 said:
PS, You say that this stiks guy is so big and bad, but from what I've seen on this forum, I'm not the first to dissagree w/him!
What you don't understand is that in this case you, who have built the massive total of one wheel in your riding history, are disagreeing with someone who has built hundreds or even thousands of wheels, many for the fastest riders on the planet. They run his wheels for a reason, you think?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Urban FR'er 666 said:
PS, You say that this stiks guy is so big and bad, but from what I've seen on this forum, I'm not the first to dissagree w/him!

:rolleyes:

Let's have a wheel building contest. Stik against every other member of the forum. My money is on stik, by ALOT. I seriously doubt anybody would disagree with his wheelbuilding/wrenching skills.

Off hand I think he has won (as a wrench) something like 20+ titles, including world championships, national championships, national and world overalls...Xc, DH, DS, 4x, MTNx etc. He knows a thing or 2 about how to build bikes, wheels in particular.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
People agree/disagree with my opinions on racing all day long-its all mindless chatter, but like I said-I do not read spoke manuals, spoke websites, listen to spoke engineers, I just go off of almost 20 years of building wheels for a lot of people.
I have always oiled the nipple stem (not thread) and always will-my work speaks for itself, it is that simple. Ask ANYONE I have built wheels for and they will say they are the best wheel set they ever owned...even now that I am not involved in the bike business at all, people still bring me their spokes and rims to build the best wheels.
Some wrenches disagree with my methods, which is fine, but no one has ever raised an eyebrow so hard as you about oiling spokes...if you are a talentless wheelbuilder, perhaps oil could be a death sentence, but I use it and it makes my wheels magical. Some people grease bolts, some don't, some people overtighten crank bolts, some do not-whatever works for you.

Now kindly read the message below...

FYI, I have built more than one wheel, And I will build more, but when it comes to a wheel on my own bike, that I know I'm going to be abuseing the h3ll out of, I preffer to pay someone else to do it, so that if something happen, it's not my problem! In the end, I agree w/stik: "TO EACH HIS OWN"! You go your way, I'll go mine!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Transcend said:
SPOKE PREP IS OIL
Kind of, but as you said, it dries and hardens, like a mild form of thread locker, in fact when building tandem wheels some suggest to use blue loctite, the problem though is that it (and spoke prep sometimes) dries to fast. It's time consuming because you have to do the prep to each spoke individually when you are ready to lace it, but it is definitely the right way to build a wheel.

The thing about oiling the nipples though is pretty funny. Thanks for all the entertainment (not you transcend, you know what you're talking about).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Jm_ said:
Kind of, but as you said, it dries and hardens, like a mild form of thread locker, in fact when building tandem wheels some suggest to use blue loctite, the problem though is that it (and spoke prep sometimes) dries to fast. It's time consuming because you have to do the prep to each spoke individually when you are ready to lace it, but it is definitely the right way to build a wheel.

The thing about oiling the nipples though is pretty funny. Thanks for all the entertainment (not you transcend, you know what you're talking about).

I love oiled nipples. :drool:

Spoke prep does indeed dry fast, can't disagree with that. I went back to linseed oil the last wheels I built, it worked awesome. I however, am way, way too lazy to build wheels. I get a teammate or Stik to do it. :)

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Urban FR'er 666 said:
Gee...? I just found this on a wheel building site:

To prevent this, nipples should not be lubricated, and it is a good idea to use a spoke adhesive such as Wheelsmith Spoke Prep or one of the milder formulas of Loctite ® on them.

And that's coming from a professional! BAM!
jesus fricken christ you cant read! :mumble: you are supposed to lube where the nipple meets the eyelet AWAY from the threads so that it turns easier there but you do not oil where the nipple meets the threads. before you look at mechanics handbooks, how about you do some research here so you do not make yourself look like an ass after the entire thing is explained.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
Urban FR'er 666 said:
FYI, I have built more than one wheel, And I will build more, but when it comes to a wheel on my own bike, that I know I'm going to be abuseing the h3ll out of, I preffer to pay someone else to do it, so that if something happen, it's not my problem! In the end, I agree w/stik: "TO EACH HIS OWN"! You go your way, I'll go mine!
so you feel your a good wheelbuilder but you dont trust your own work enough to run it on your own bike?
ive built hundreds of wheels and always oil the spoke eylet in the rim. if you have enough tension in the spokes when the wheel is built and leave it for the spokes to stretch then retension it then the oil does not make the spokes come loose. it does make it easier to true down the line. i bet the only wheels you built were radial.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
Urban FR'er 666 said:
shut up. just, close your mouth and stop talking. you obviously have no idea what you have gotten yourself into, so just shut your mouth.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
gnurider1080 said:
jesus fricken christ you cant read! :mumble: you are supposed to lube where the nipple meets the eyelet AWAY from the threads so that it turns easier there but you do not oil where the nipple meets the threads. before you look at mechanics handbooks, how about you do some research here so you do not make yourself look like an ass after the entire thing is explained.

Hahaha. :evil: So true.

You guys say it is so important to oil the eyelet, but yet out of all the sciezed nipples, that I have seen, it has allways been the threads that were sciezed. I have never seen a single nipple sciezed in the eyelets! Even on old rusted steel rimmed wheels! Threrefore, I see no reason for the oil, especially w/alloy rims(corrotion resistant)!