Quantcast

Does anybody NOT want an SC Nomad with a Fox36?

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Yeah, the Nomad is too much of an in between bike. I tried to consolidate to 1 bike but I just couldn't do it. I think you need 2 bikes at the minimum (1 big travel bike and 1 short travel bike). Of course, it all depends on the terrain in your area.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
PoserNewbie said:
Yeah, the Nomad is too much of an in between bike. I tried to consolidate to 1 bike but I just couldn't do it. I think you need 2 bikes at the minimum (1 big travel bike and 1 short travel bike). Of course, it all depends on the terrain in your area.
i agree to an extent... My Intense 6.6 is 1.5 pds heavier than my Heckler. plus it pedals better

BillT

Monkey
Once you spec a Nomad with a DHX-Air the MSRP difference between it and a 6.6 (comes stock with the DHX-Air) not that great. For that difference you get among other things bigger bearings and a 1.5 headtube which may or may not be worth it to you.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
IMO, the fox 36 is better than any SC fork that would require a 1.5 headtube. But thats just me.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
BurlyShirley said:
IMO, the fox 36 is better than any SC fork that would require a 1.5 headtube. But thats just me.
Yeah and you can still use it on the 1.5 HT frames too, whats your point?

Having a 1.5 HT has benefits for the headset and frame. If Manitou/others comes out with a 1.5 fork you like, you can run it. Can't say that about a 1.125 frame...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
syadasti said:
Yeah and you can still use it on the 1.5 HT frames too, whats your point?

Having a 1.5 HT has benefits for the headset and frame. If Manitou/others comes out with a 1.5 fork you like, you can run it. Can't say that about a 1.125 frame...
1st. No one else is going to.

2nd. If you dont need a 1.5, it weighs more, looks stupid (subjective yeah) requires adaptors, special parts that may not be carried everywhere. etc. Its not necessarily a positive.

BillT

Monkey
The only drawback that I know of related to the 1.5 headtube is that there isn't an easy/good way to run a Chris King headset (I'm sure their 1.5 headset will come out at the same time their bb hits the market) due bearing diameter differences or something like that.

I currently have a Blur and Bullit and was seriously considering either a Nomad or 6.6 to replace the Bullit, but ended up ordering a VPX which I should have in a couple of weeks because in the end I didn't feel that either the Nomad or 6.6 was that different from the Blur.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
I'd ride it.

I prefer your so-called "in-between" bikes. My Quasi Moto is great for that which is why I am reluctant to part with it.
why sell it? use the right tool for the purpose. sounds like you need another tool in yr tool box.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
1) Yes they have, Magura Thor and some other company I can't remember?

2) The frame will not weigh more if of equal strength. Using a standard fork on a 1.5 requires a headset. Using a standard fork on a standard frame requires a headset. Nope no extra parts there. HS will weigh slightly more but will last longer and will be less likely to ovalize. You can use King HS with e13 reducer cups.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BillT said:
The only drawback that I know of related to the 1.5 headtube is that there isn't an easy/good way to run a Chris King headset (I'm sure their 1.5 headset will come out at the same time their bb hits the market) due bearing diameter differences or something like that.
i've got a chris king headset in my evil. just use the reducer cups and you are good to go.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
BillT said:
The only drawback that I know of related to the 1.5 headtube is that there isn't an easy/good way to run a Chris King headset (I'm sure their 1.5 headset will come out at the same time their bb hits the market) due bearing diameter differences or something like that..
hahhaha think of a huge 1.5 " ck headset how dreamy is that :drool:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
syadasti said:
1) Yes they have, Magura Thor and some other company I can't remember?

2) The frame will not weigh more if of equal strength. Using a standard fork on a 1.5 requires a headset. Using a standard fork on a standard frame requires a headset. Nope no extra parts there. HS will weigh slightly more but will last longer and will be less likely to ovalize. You can use King HS with e13 reducer cups.
Magur and Thor?

Yeah, like I said. No one else is going to.

Using a 1 1/8 fork on a 1.5 headtube requires headset and reducers. Extra ****. You mean to tell me a king headset weighs the same as a King Headset plus reducers? Yeah. Ok. Get out of my thread and go bash ipods or something.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
BurlyShirley said:
Using a 1 1/8 fork on a 1.5 headtube requires headset and reducers. Extra ****. You mean to tell me a king headset weighs the same as a King Headset plus reducers? Yeah. Ok. Get out of my thread and go bash ipods or something.
Yeah its nice you are clueless, but you just need a headset, thats all. Woodman, FSA, and others make 1.125 HS for 1.5 that don't require reducer cups...

As I said above:

HS will weigh slightly more but will last longer and will be less likely to ovalize.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
BurlyShirley said:
Extra ****. You mean to tell me a king headset weighs the same as a King Headset plus reducers? Yeah. Ok. Get out of my thread and go bash ipods or something.
Funiest thing ever posted on RM!

:p :p :p :p

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
syadasti said:
Yeah its nice you are clueless, but you just need a headset, thats all. Woodman, FSA, and others make 1.125 HS for 1.5 that don't require a reducer...

FVCKTARD! WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD?

...but just to humor your stupidity, do you mean to tell me that the amount of material it takes to fill a 1.5 gap is the same as 1.25?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
BurlyShirley said:
FVCKTARD! WHAT IS THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD?

...but just to humor your stupidity, do you mean to tell me that the amount of material it takes to fill a 1.5 gap is the same as 1.25?
No, learn to read...

HS will weigh slightly more but will last longer and will be less likely to ovalize.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
BurlyShirley said:
Meh. Same old FSR. Dont care for it so much, but for sure go with what you like.
Just wondering if you have ridden the new SX bikes?

I've gotten a chance to test ride a Nomad and a SX Trail (with air shock and 36). I'd take the Specialized any day over the Santa Cruz. The balance point of that bike is so natural, it just appears to float underneath you.

Don't get me wrong, the Nomad is a great bike, but those new Specialized are something else.

Of course I'm a rigid SS 29er rider, so I don't know nothin'!

The Ito

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
syadasti said:
No, learn to read...
Perhaps you failed to grasp the point here. That a certain fork matched with a certain bike makes a great combo. Real simple. Now, If I want a certain fork that does not have a 1.5 headtube, how in the **** is a 1.5 headtube a benefit to me?

All you want to do is crap on threads all day long. Just go away.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
BurlyShirley said:
Perhaps you failed to grasp the point here. That a certain fork matched with a certain bike makes a great combo. Real simple. Now, If I want a certain fork that does not have a 1.5 headtube, how in the **** is a 1.5 headtube a benefit to me?
I'm not the one failing to grasp 1.5 benefits. Its been discussed to death on RM. Having 1.5 headtube has other benefits besides fork choice. Why would so many companies put 1.5 on DH rigs which a majority of riders run DC 1.125" forks on them...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
syadasti said:
I'm not the one failing to grasp 1.5 benefits. Its been discussed to death on RM. Having 1.5 headtube has other benefits besides fork choice. Why would so many companies put 1.5 on DH rigs which a majority of riders run DC 1.125" forks on...
Because they are DH rigs asseyes. You dont need bullet proofness on a trail rig THAT IS MEANT TO BE KEPT LIGHT! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
BurlyShirley said:
Because they are DH rigs asseyes. You dont need bullet proofness on a trail rig THAT IS MEANT TO BE KEPT LIGHT! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?
Nothing prevents companies from making them light. Cannondale has always made their bikes with OS head tubes, they never had trouble making lightweight XC racing rigs...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
syadasti said:
Nothing prevents companies from making them light. Cannondale has always made their bikes with OS head tubes, they never had trouble making lightweight racing rigs...
So how in the christ does that have ANYTHING to do with a fox 36 on an SC Nomad?

Let me answer that: Nothing.

Good, then shut up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd get a Nomad if it had a 1.5" heat tube with a little hatch. I'd run a regular fork and use the headtube like a trunk.

What kind of hydration pack would go with my 1.5" Nomad and had a pocket for a non i-pod type MP3 player?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Westy said:
I'd get a Nomad if it had a 1.5" heat tube with a little hatch. I'd run a regular fork and use the headtube like a trunk.

What kind of hydration pack would go with my 1.5" Nomad and had a pocket for a non i-pod type MP3 player?

that is soooooooooo funny.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I had the chance to get a nomad, chose not too, I am on a sxtrail, I've owned vpp bikes, and in the end they ride nice, but there are better choices out there, also the maitenance required in wet riding areas is just absurd for me.

here are some of the reasons I chose the SX Trail over the nomad (I work at a santa cruz dealer and went out of my way to get a SXTrail)

-Normal TT with better clearance
-Superior Chassis (forged, shaped, hydroformed parts all around)
-Lower leverage ratio (uses a 2.75" stroke for 6.6" while the SC only uses 2.35" for 6.5")
-Chainguide Mount
-More active and controlled suspension (lower leverage ratio and the nomad being a VPP bike, it will be semi-active)
-Better Center of Gravity (low)
-Adjustable geometry (h.a./b.b.) via shock shuttles
-Quad bearing bushingless pivot

(the vpp design by nature is a high maitenance design as well)

plus a lifetime warranty...

in my opinion it flat out performs better.....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
BurlyShirley said:
So how in the christ does that have ANYTHING to do with a fox 36 on an SC Nomad?

Let me answer that: Nothing.

Good, then shut up.
One of the various things that people pointed out that makes the 6.6 not merely a copycat of the Nomad. 6.6 is better than the Nomad in every way unless you don't like the geometry or want a fake gas tank tube on your bike. Not to mention your idea that 1.5 will make the bike heavier doesn't hold any water considering that the 6.6 is slightly lighter than the Nomad...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
jacksonpt said:
I laughed out loud at this - everyone in my office turned and looked at me. I think I need to get back to work

hehe

lol

sincker

Well to be honest i just laughed out loud from you telling me you laughed out loud so we are even.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Castle said:
here are some of the reasons I chose the SX Trail over the nomad (I work at a santa cruz dealer and went out of my way to get a SXTrail)
Great minds think (quote?) alike:D

I read in the 06 Specialized preview Barrencloth said the 06 SX Trail was his favorite Specialized bike, wish it was available like that when I got mine :(