Quantcast

Does anybody read [books] anymore?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Apparently, I don't read much because the last three books I cracked were made into movies.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007

Interesting- a little heavy on the philosophy at times (even though I enjoy it), but overall he makes some great points.

And then, probably my favorite book ever. I'm not a climber, and this book solidifies that, but what an awesome book!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Interesting- a little heavy on the philosophy at times (even though I enjoy it), but overall he makes some great points.
I've always been curious if he is considered to be a good mechanic.

If you are extremely selective about your customers, naturally you will be thought of highly.

I think most repair shops take anyone they can, within reason, and naturally the feedback can be mixed.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO

Definitely a strange book, but I couldn't put it down. Probably my favorite book at the moment, though I haven't read very many books...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
A little Eastern thought :

These are, graphically speaking, a couple of beautiful books with some progressive CSS3 concepts. Some webdesign books are so poorly layed out, they not only appear to have been designed by a squirrel on crack with ADD, but are almost unreadable and certainly not worth the average high price of computer books. Both the following two design books far exceed the norm in both layout and concept.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Those of you that liked The Road should Read McCarthy's Blood Meridian, Holy ****.

Last edited:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps

Brilliant

Good

...and currently a spy thriller to read to pass time, of which I can't remember the name it is so unremarkable.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Most of the books I read are technical / informational. I love reading for pleasure but I don't have time for it lately.

The last 3 books were an obscure german book about roman footwear, Techniques Of Medieval Armour Reproduction ("The TOMAR" in armouring circles), and Stepping Through Time which is about medieval footwear.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Currently reading Outliers. So far it seems typically Gladwellian: interesting ideas are supported by somewhat over-represented/sold evidence.

swoody

Chimp
Mar 25, 2008
Chicago, USA
I've been reading quite a few books lately. I still have an entire huge stack to go through, but the one I'm reading at the moment is a really good story from Dean Koontz - one of my favorite authors :D

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
I used to be vociferous when I was a kid and we didn't have a TV.

Bad habits these days although I did go to a museum the other day and bought this. Fascinatinating so far.

And it was a little while ago but if you ever get your hands on this one you will piss yourself laughing.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Ive always got about 3 or 4 books going at at time. My kids and I wear Mr. Mikes used books out!!! Here's a couple of what I'm into...

I have 4 or 5 more I haven't even looked beyond the cover, all virtually brand new and all came for our local Goodwill store for about a buck each.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I mostly read fluff to pass the time when I'm not reading technical books. The last I read were:

Thoroughly disturbing look at America's downward spiral in terms of what we value in our news and our politics. Sums up most of my beefs with the republican party.

(thanks jonKranked!) A pretty entertaining look at a few crazy birdwatchers and their inevitable interactions as they independently pursue spotting a record number of birds in one year. Really has little to do with the birds or birdwatching itself.

Not my favorite book by him but I've read everything else. Hiaasen is hilarious.

Mtbkngrl

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
Rochester NY
The Sex Lives of Cannibals, Freakonomics, Hot House Orchid, and currently Three Cups of Tea. I don't have the patience or the skills to put up the pretty book covers.;)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I read all the time...I'm actually in 2 book clubs! Just finished The Tender Bar - a memoir about a boy he basically grows up in a bar.