Quantcast

Does anybody use...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No. But I have thought about it. I never ever use the big ring except to bounce off things. I onceslapped on a 32 tooth ring where the big ring used to go. I liked the extra clearance but the chain kept bouncing off. I would like to try and put a small 36 ring in place of the big or a bash guard but have never gotten around to it.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I removed my big ring about 1.5 years ago. For the kind of riding I do, I rarely need to go to a 3rd ring...but I often need a bashguard. Of course I'm undergeared on long descents sometimes but I don't care that much since I'm not racing. We don't have a lot of trails like that around here anyway.

Give it a try...I'm pretty sure you won't regret it. :)

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
i'll never put a big ring back on any bike i ever own. i'm even planning on using just a 32-34t whenever i get the $$ to build a dh bike.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hrmmmm well why not just keep the big ring on and use that as a bash guard and just replace it......when-ever...

Hrmmm I seem to catch a lot or rock and logs with my big ring, maybe a smaller one might be a better idea. I'm just waiting for the day it catches and I go over the handle bars.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Originally posted by stosh
Hrmmmm well why not just keep the big ring on and use that as a bash guard and just replace it......when-ever...

Hrmmm I seem to catch a lot or rock and logs with my big ring, maybe a smaller one might be a better idea. I'm just waiting for the day it catches and I go over the handle bars.
If you intend to bash your big ring, make sure you adjust your front derailleur so that it can't shift your chain on a partly destroyed big ring.

I personally think that buying a cheap bashguard like a BlackSpire is a better option than thrashing a big ring. I foresee a mangled chain if you bash you big chainring anyway... :eek:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by FlipSide
If you intend to bash your big ring, make sure you adjust your front derailleur so that it can't shift your chain on a partly destroyed big ring.

I personally think that buying a cheap bashguard like a BlackSpire is a better option than thrashing a big ring. I foresee a mangled chain if you bash you big chainring anyway... :eek:

Yeah, true....
I don't know I don't catch it a lot... but enough that it makes my heart jump when I do it.
I hate that feeling, just like when you smash your pedal off a rock or something.

Evilmunch

Monkey
May 5, 2002
NE of ATL
I've got a bash guard on mine. It makes rolling over tall stuff a lot easier. The only time I would ever want to shift into the big ring is on the road anyway... so I'd rather have the bash.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
i am not the smoothest person in the world but on an xc bike i don't think a bash guard is really needed. plus i like my big ring to much.....

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I have started just running a single 36 tooth ring on my geared xc bike. i do it for light weight and simplicity.

back in the early 90's when rock rings were big i tried to buy one but the guy at the shop wouldn't let me. I thank him so much. I learned not to hit my big ring when crossing logs and instead go straight to my rear wheel. Go check out an old dirt rag or something to see what i'm talking about. Dejesus used to call it the "zapper".

i like my xc bikes to be as light as possible and when i have a big ring I use it a ton so that biases my decison.
i was thinking about putting an evil sts on my burly "freerid/trail" hardtail, but for the chain retention more than the bashring.

so if you are a racer or fast recreational rider i say no, leave it off it will make you smoother. If you're idea of xc is more "just riding" it isn't going to hurt .

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've got a bash ring on my bike. I didn't have one on my last bike and I warped the piss out of my big ring. I ride lots of rocks and logs, so the the big ring was taking a pounding. The bash ring I use now has taken a pounding and is holding up fine. :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by NRSracer
if you plan on racing leave it on.
I have never used the big ring during a race??? I just spin out during fast sections to let my legs recover, lets me work harder on the climbs.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I almost replaced my big ring with a bash guard two years ago. I rarely use the big ring, but there are times when it's too much fun to pop it in gear and then just mash the pedals to go as fast as I can. For those times, I didn't want to give it up.

If your technique for crossing bigger logs and rocks is to just power over it, you're going to hit your ring. With some practice, it is possible to cross that stuff without hitting. I regularly cross logs up to 2 feet in diameter without scraping the ring. You have to learn to lunge your bike up and then push your ass back which in turn pushes your bike forward and nose down. It's kind of abrupt at first, but gets smoother with practice.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by BikeGeek
I almost replaced my big ring with a bash guard two years ago. I rarely use the big ring, but there are times when it's too much fun to pop it in gear and then just mash the pedals to go as fast as I can. For those times, I didn't want to give it up.

If your technique for crossing bigger logs and rocks is to just power over it, you're going to hit your ring. With some practice, it is possible to cross that stuff without hitting. I regularly cross logs up to 2 feet in diameter without scraping the ring. You have to learn to lunge your bike up and then push your ass back which in turn pushes your bike forward and nose down. It's kind of abrupt at first, but gets smoother with practice.
Yeah, I've been working on that...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
...chainguides and bashrings- 20/32 DH and 22/34 XC. I use 8-spd cassettes, too- 12-32 XTR for DH and 11-32 SRAM for XC. I just got tired of prematurely replacing big rings due to damage in rockgardens. Both the XC and DH trails near me are VERY rocky and cause significant tooth damage. I never had a problem with logs doing that and kind of liked how you could use the teeth on the big ring to "climb" large diameter logs.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
I don't understand how hitting a log would damage your big ring, I use my big ring to clear logs that are too big to hop and my big ring damage the log and not the opposite.

On one of our regular trail there is one rock that is too high for my bike and everytime I pass it I switch to my big ring so the chain will protect the ring and it works.

Stosh, If you ride regular xc I don't think you need a bashguard.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Deyv
I don't understand how hitting a log would damage your big ring, I use my big ring to clear logs that are too big to hop and my big ring damage the log and not the opposite.

On one of our regular trail there is one rock that is too high for my bike and everytime I pass it I switch to my big ring so the chain will protect the ring and it works.

Stosh, If you ride regular xc I don't think you need a bashguard.

Thanks, I'll probably just stick with the big ring. I was just curious what other people do. I don't use my big ring much but on some of the long logging trails and old roads I do. Thats enough for me to keep it though.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Deyv
Not so much "damage" the big ring, but "bend" it. If you aren't going perfectly straight when you hit the log, chances are eventually you will bend the big ring. And I bet that pretty XTR big ring ain't cheap ;)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Echo
Not so much "damage" the big ring, but "bend" it. If you aren't going perfectly straight when you hit the log, chances are eventually you will bend the big ring. And I bet that pretty XTR big ring ain't cheap ;)
Yeah well I think I'm just going to take the chance with it for now...
It's early in the season to be making changes like that to my bike.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by stosh
Yeah well I think I'm just going to take the chance with it for now...
It's early in the season to be making changes like that to my bike.
Definitely ride it like it is dude. If you happen to bend or damage your big ring, that's the perfect time to decide if you use it enough that you want a new big ring, or if you should just replace it with a bash guard ;)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by Echo
Definitely ride it like it is dude. If you happen to bend or damage your big ring, that's the perfect time to decide if you use it enough that you want a new big ring, or if you should just replace it with a bash guard ;)
And who says Echo is as dumb as he looks...?

If you do go for a bashguard, though, I think a step-up in your middle ring size is mandatory. 36 if you run a 22 inner, 38 if you run a 24. 36 works for me for DH/Freeride/XC...pretty much the universally useful size.

You can get away with a 14t jump in the size of your chainrings when you're only running 2 rings...some people push it even more. When you've only got one shift up or down to worry about, adjusting the derailleur is easy.

MD

bad andy

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
I replaced my big ring with a FSA bashguard a few years ago. I'd been responsible for quite a few 'works of art' in the form of mutilated, twisted, deformed big rings and figured for my style of 'agro xc' the bashguard would be more useful. I never used the big ring anyway where I ride.