Quantcast

Does anyone Drive OTR for a living?

Just curious as to what it's like, seems like it would be better than dealing with the average job, boss, customer service crap. You could bring the bike along and when you stop for the evening you could go out and ride. Then all day spend driving OTR listening to music, talking on the CB, or on the phone to not get bored. Just curious what it's like, average salary, time home, etc. Probably not too many people on here that do this type of work, thought I'd ask though.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
My girl's dad is a trucker who drives around the Detroit suburbs. I think he likes his job for the most part, except that the company he drives for owns his ass. He's treated like he's pretty much expendable. I've always wondered about this, same as you, but I think being a professional driver really isn't that great. I guess it depends who you work for, though. Kids, stay in school.

Enginerd A2 said:
My girl's dad is a trucker who drives around the Detroit suburbs. I think he likes his job for the most part, except that the company he drives for owns his ass. He's treated like he's pretty much expendable. I've always wondered about this, same as you, but I think being a professional driver really isn't that great. I guess it depends who you work for, though. Kids, stay in school.
Yeah, I know they are worked like dogs, especially if your not an owner/operator. But I knew a guy who owned his own truck, and he did exceptionally well for himself. They start new drivers off around $34k, and I've seen experienced driver postings for upwards of $65k. Owner/operators get even more, but they pay their own insurance, gas, maint. etc.. The guy I knew, was gone alot, but, he did really well, and theres a shortage of them. Kind of a good way to make some money and salt it away if your always on the road for a few years, then I'd be going back to school once I figured out wtf I want to do...

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I've heard from a buddy who did trucking for a couple of years that its hard on the kidneys, and sitting for hours on end and eating road side food ain't the healthiest...plus if you think yer going to have time to stop and ride your bike yer fooling yourself. Time is a commodity that isn't common in the trucking industry.

gorogod

Chimp
Nov 1, 2004
Germany (Albuquerque soon)
my brother in-law drove for about 4 years or so on the East coast. He made his money by being an owner/operator.....making runs out West was a money bank for him. It's all about making the delivery on time....and lots of time they don't have. he opted to take a sales postion with a company. Would be sweet though if you could stop and take a line nobody else has

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Dog Welder said:
.plus if you think yer going to have time to stop and ride your bike yer fooling yourself.
actually, i met a guy once who owned his truck and brought his Seven hardtail everywhere with him. i don't know any more details about his situation, he just came into my shop once. he rode most days though.

J

JRB

I would like to drive a cow truck. I have driven a few trips with other peeps over the road. I never got my license though. I did pull several loads of corn one summer. I like driving trucks. If I weren't married, I would do it.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I did it for 4 years. It was cool. I saw the country. You have to go to some places that you might not want to go. But you get to go to places that are cool sometimes. You get to think a lot. Little problems can become big problems. It is very hard to maintain a relationship. I went through a lot of girlfriends then. I made huge money but spent it....on the road. If you can't resist temptation. Then don't even think of it. If you have self discipline, a good work ethic, and some decent business sense then go for it. I don't regret it.....jdcamb

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I know one thing, driving OTR for a living is not for me. My only experience was for 6 years in the Army Reserve as a tractor trailer driver. We spent our 2 weeks in the summer driving all over the east coast hauling equipment for the other reserve units to do their 2 weeks of training. We were fortunate enough to eat in decent restaurants every night and stay in hotels but I got to see the guys doing it for a living sitting, sleeping, showering, etc at the truck stops. At the end of the 2 weeks I was so sick of going in to those places and the absolutely boring hours on the road. Of course the trucks we drove didn't have AC or radios (M931/M932). Most of us rigged up fan and stereo systems to make it bearable.

One year we did spend a month driving between South Dakota and Arkansas (multiple trips) in some borrowed trucks (M915/M916) that were much more comfortable but it was just as boring driving through Iowa cornfields and the Badlands. Blah blah blah. I enjoy having a job that keeps me thinking.