Quantcast

Does anyone else think Valentines day is totally ridiculous?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I mean really, whats the point of it? I see it as people capitilizing on those that have girlfriends or wives and making them buy stupid overpriced balloons, flowers, chocolate, etc.

If you love someone, do you really need a holiday to prove it to them?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
BigMike said:
I mean really, whats the point of it? I see it as people capitilizing on those that have girlfriends or wives and making them buy stupid overpriced balloons, flowers, chocolate, etc.

We give them Valentine's Day, they give us Steak and BJ day. Fair?

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think spending hundreds of dollars on gifts on Valentine's Day is ridiculous. I don't think it's such a bad idea to have a day dedicated to appreciating your partner. There are lots of things you can do that are far more valuable than anything you could buy at a store.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Ridemonkey said:
I think spending hundreds of dollars on gifts on Valentine's Day is ridiculous. I don't think it's such a bad idea to have a day dedicated to appreciating your partner. There are lots of things you can do that are far more valuable than anything you could buy at a store.

:golf clap:

:thumb:

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
How big an "if" is that.....

Are you going to be cranky come 9 pm tonight on here?
What does it matter??? I have no friends, so if I have a crummy Valentine's Day, it won't be any different. If Boston Legal is on, I won't be on here anyway.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Who cares?

We have a Father's day and a Mother's day. You should appreciate them every day of the year, too. You don't see everyone rising up against those days, though.

There's an Easter where you're supposed to celibrate your family and Jesus, but if you're religious you should celibrate Jesus every day, and certainly your family as well.

It's all a personal thing. Either you celibrate the holiday, or you don't, but it's no more "ridiculous" than any other day. It shouldn't be a day to "prove" you love someone any more than Mother's day is a day to prove you love your mom. It's just one day out of the year that's dedicated to the celibration of something specific.

I agree that there are negative things about it. Seems like it gets competitive, and the heaping of flowers and gifts is just over the top, but the day in and of itself doesn't need to be treated with such contempt.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Her Birthday is tomorrow. I really don't feel bad about combining. Gift cert to the bike shop will likely go in the V-Day card and the sleeping bag will be the birthday present. I wrote her a sappy dealy in her V-Day card. Flowers, balloons, etc..are a waste.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
To me its similar to Mothers or Fathers day... one day out of the year to do something just a bit nicer on that day to let them know that they are appreciated... even if its a piece of construction paper with macaroni and glitter... :rolleyes::dancing:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Most people who complain about Valentine's Day do so because they are single and lonely. People with significant others usually don't make any big deal about V-day, let alone complain about it.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
robdamanii said:
How big an "if" is that.....

Are you going to be cranky come 9 pm tonight on here?

Is loco going to try to get getting lucky by getting his date drunk (i.e. spilling beer on his right hand)..?

J

JRB

N8 said:
Is loco going to try to get getting lucky by getting his date drunk (i.e. spilling beer on his right hand)..?
At least I am man enough to drink beer, sister.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I Are Baboon said:
Most people who complain about Valentine's Day do so because they are single and lonely. People with significant others usually don't make any big deal about V-day, let alone complain about it.
totally disagree. i'm married and i HATE valentines day. it's gross.
i'm pretty sure if my husband bought me a stuffed bear holding a heart and some red balloons i would think about divorce.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
amydalayna said:
totally disagree. i'm married and i HATE valentines day. it's gross.
i'm pretty sure if my husband bought me a stuffed bear holding a heart and some red balloons i would think about divorce.
Well I did say "most." You're in the minority.

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:
Some people are just too cool to conform, or that's the way they see it. I don't see a problem with anyone doing anything about it. It's just written on some calendars. It's no different for people that don't care than any other day that is typed into a square in italics. It seems silly to rant about something so stupid. I mean, why not focus on grammar, or something that matters?

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
History:

"February 14 is Valentine's Day. Although it is celebrated as a lovers' holiday today, with the giving of candy, flowers, or other gifts between couples in love, it originated in 5th Century Rome as a tribute to St. Valentine, a Catholic bishop.

For eight hundred years prior to the establishment of Valentine's Day, the Romans had practiced a pagan celebration in mid-February commemorating young men's rite of passage to the god Lupercus. The celebration featured a lottery in which young men would draw the names of teenage girls from a box. The girl assigned to each young man in that manner would be his sexual companion during the remaining year.

In an effort to do away with the pagan festival, Pope Gelasius ordered a slight change in the lottery. Instead of the names of young women, the box would contain the names of saints. Both men and women were allowed to draw from the box, and the game was to emulate the ways of the saint they drew during the rest of the year. Needless to say, many of the young Roman men were not too pleased with the rule changes.
Be My Valentine

Instead of the pagan god Lupercus, the Church looked for a suitable patron saint of love to take his place. They found an appropriate choice in Valentine, who, in AD 270 had been beheaded by Emperor Claudius."

:oink:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
BigMike said:

To answer your question....Nope! That's exactly why my husband and I don't do anything for V-day. We refuse to give in to Hallmark and spend $ on overpriced goods. I personally would rather receive flowers or a card on any other day because it means he's thinking about me and not worried about showing off or "keeping up with the Jones'" on Valentine's day.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I think it's well planned that V-day comes right after the Super Bowl. It's our way of getting something in return for cooking, bringing beer and listening to men yell in the living room all night:p

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
everyone is different.. i dont need a sperate day to show my wife how much I love her.. i do it on the regular. I usually make her a card as she does for me. One year when we were dating i told her i was taking applications for valentines.. she made this huge presentation on why it should be her.. she won!!
we usually dont get presents... but i found something for her <actually for both of us> that we have always thought about getting.. and now that we have the house we can

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
bluebug32 said:
I think it's well planned that V-day comes right after the Super Bowl. It's our way of getting something in return for cooking, bringing beer and listening to men yell in the living room all night:p
wow.. my wife has no idea on how great she has it!!! :rolleyes:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
My wife and I really don't do much for V-day..........I did get her a card from Noah, I think she'll like that...........but we don't make a fuss over V-day we usually just go out to eat.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I do not like Valentines Day, Mothers Day or Fathers Day because they were made up in order to sell me sh--. I might give my parents a call or help out at the church breakfast or something, but I won't buy anything. I might buy something on Valentines Day, but prefer not to. Girlfriend wants to go out tonight. I suppose...

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
I Are Baboon said:
I guess I would be in the minority too. Valentine's Day can be one person's complete triumph and another's complete failure. What a stupid holiday. My wife feels the same way.

We do, however, celebrate on a small scale. I bought her a card (that cost 6 f*cking dollars!!!!!!!!) and some flowers. She got me a card and then her and our 5 year old are making me dinner tonight. And the kids all got a stuffed animal.

So there you go...somebody has made some money off of us for all in the name of a worhtless holiday!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Yes and no... I don't think the point of Vday is to buy overpriced flowers or jewelery or have sex just because of the day. I think the point is to take a step back from all the other crap that sucks us down on a daily basis and remember/appreciate our spouses.

Find a way to leave work at work, put the kids to bed early and have a legitimate conversation with your spouce/bf/gf. It's a cliche, but it's really about quality time. That will mean more than anything you can buy.

With that said, I'll probably buy some jewelry today and a card, but not really say anything to my wife tonight.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jacksonpt said:
<snip>
Find a way to leave work at work, put the kids to bed early and have a legitimate conversation with your spouce/bf/gf. It's a cliche, but it's really about quality time.
Hey! That's what we do every day........ :think:

We're going to go out tomorrow for a nice dinner. Screw V-Day. :D

J

JRB

jacksonpt said:
Yes and no... I don't think the point of Vday is to buy overpriced flowers or jewelery or have sex just because of the day. I think the point is to take a step back from all the other crap that sucks us down on a daily basis and remember/appreciate our spouses.

Find a way to leave work at work, put the kids to bed early and have a legitimate conversation with your spouce/bf/gf. It's a cliche, but it's really about quality time. That will mean more than anything you can buy.

With that said, I'll probably buy some jewelry today and a card, but not really say anything to my wife tonight.
What the heck is wrong with you, man???

J

JRB

BigMike said:
I have a significant other, and we have been together for quite some time now. I just think its retarded
Don't expect a boycott over that. We haven't boycotted you.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BigMike said:
It's one day a year that gives the one you love carte blanche to get mad at you for f*cking it up no matter what you do, being that she can't say anything about the other 364 days that you are thoughtful and loving.

:dead:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
BigMike said:
I'm not asking for a boycott...... I'm just wondering if anyone else doesn't like Valentines day.
Al Bundy might not like it, because he has to sleep with Peg.

I love it myself. My wife is beautiful and today is a day to remind me of how lucky I am and how lucky I am going to get.
What's not to like?:)