Quantcast

Does anyone here shoot pellet guns?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'm looking at getting a new pellet gun sometime in the next 6 months or so for pest control reasons. Right now I've got a crossman pumpmaster 760, it's okay, for the $27 I paid it's exceeded my expectations for accuracy, even with steel BB's I can shoot a group of 5 shots with about 1" spacing. Unfortunately I feel bad every time I shoot a squirrel and it scampers off to it's hole to die a slow painful death. I'm looking to get something that will shoot closer to 1000 FPS, I'd prefer .177 cal but if somebody can reccomend a good .22 I'd consider it. My biggest requirement is that it needs to be a break barrel or single pump, I'm tired of getting blisters from pumping 10 times for each shot, I'm not aware of any pumpers that will do 1000 FPS anyway. My budget is around $150, I'm considering a Gamo Shadow 1000, only because it's the easiest rifle to find that meets my requirements. I'm not totally convinced that there isn't something better out there for the price.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I grew up with a kid who used to duct tape shotgun shells to the end of his BB gun, and he'd have himself a good ol' time.

I think he's in prison now.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
stinkyboy said:
I grew up with a kid who used to duct tape shotgun shells to the end of his BB gun, and he'd have himself a good ol' time.

wait a minute...he taped them on so when he shot the gun, the pellet would hit the shell and all hell would break loose? Is that what you're sayin?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
motomike said:
get a .22 cal with some rat shot and you're golden.

Tell me more about this "rat shot"
My neighbor has a pest problem that he refuses to address. I think a .22 might attract too much attention though.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
stinkyboy said:

Interesting...

*BANG!*

RUN!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I have a .20 cal Beeman that I use around the house for squirrels and rats, but I run into the problem that it shoots straight through them and they scamper off and die. It is a break barrel, but they say they are not quite as accurate as a regular breech loader because the barrel is slightly off each time you open/close.

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
The Crossman .22 cal pellet pump handgun that has the optional stock is VERY good at popping Squirrels.......never mind I didn't see the no pump part. The gun does about 800fps in .22 cal though. Anyhow get the feild point pellets with the pointed end what ever you do.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
buildyourown said:
Tell me more about this "rat shot"
My neighbor has a pest problem that he refuses to address. I think a .22 might attract too much attention though.
rat shot is basically a shot gun shell sized for a smaller gun, like a handgun. It has a spread pattern that increases your chances of gettin 'er done.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
My wife won't let me have a real gun, it's got to be air, I do like the idea of this rat shot you mention though.

Where do you find .20 or .22 pellets? I'm guessing you have to go into a gun store to procure that kind of ammo, none of the walmarts or big 5 sporting goods stores around here carry anything but .177. I don't really like gun stores, I don't like to consider myself that kind of guy. I could buy my ammo online but you don't seem to get a discount, infact it's usually more expensive plus you pay shipping!

Wumpus, you say this Beeman .20 shoots right through the squrrels? What velocity does your gun shoot? Do you know off hand what weight pellet you're using, is there a heavier pellet available?

Flakey Jake

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Chico
Ive got a couple of paint ball guns. I don't play paintball anymore, but a while ago i lived in a house where my neighbor always let his aggressive pit bull run loose. One time it was on my porch, growling at me through the screen, so I lit it up with about a 100 paint ball blast. My neighbor then came over and bitched at me about his dog being covered with paint. I told him to go f**k himself and to stop letting his dog run loose. We weren't exactly friendly with each other. After that it occured to me that the paintball gun was a relatively humane way to discourage dogs and cats and any other unwanted animals from coming into my yard.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
You can also buy clear paint so you don't get yelled at by bitchy neighbors ;)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Kornphlake said:
Wumpus, you say this Beeman .20 shoots right through the squrrels? What velocity does your gun shoot? Do you know off hand what weight pellet you're using, is there a heavier pellet available?

Beeman model R9 .20

I have some crossman target pellets that say they are 14.3g. I have a selection of beeman pellets like the silver bear(claims to be high impact) and silver ace.

The only place local I have found pellets was the archery/gun shop.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Kornphlake said:
My wife won't let me have a real gun, it's got to be air, I do like the idea of this rat shot you mention though.

Where do you find .20 or .22 pellets? I'm guessing you have to go into a gun store to procure that kind of ammo, none of the walmarts or big 5 sporting goods stores around here carry anything but .177. I don't really like gun stores, I don't like to consider myself that kind of guy. I could buy my ammo online but you don't seem to get a discount, infact it's usually more expensive plus you pay shipping!

You have got to be kidding me your wife won`t let you :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ,dude buck up borrow you balls back and get what you need to do the pest control at your house

J

JRB

Rip said:
Last time I fired a gun I was aiming at an aluminum can with a 44, missed the can, but shot the tree behind it.
Trees feel too, man.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
shocktower said:
You have got to be kidding me your wife won`t let you :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ,dude buck up borrow you balls back and get what you need to do the pest control at your house
What a great way to make my blocked user list, you're the second ever to achieve that feat.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Wumpus said:
Beeman model R9 .20

I have some crossman target pellets that say they are 14.3g. I have a selection of beeman pellets like the silver bear(claims to be high impact) and silver ace.

The only place local I have found pellets was the archery/gun shop.
I'd have thought a pellet that big and heavy would transfer more energy into the squirrel. Maybe a 14g pellet at 900 fps is just a little too much. I'll bet it's fun to shoot though, it probabally kicks harder than a .22 rimfire just in the opposite direction.

I think I'll look for something in a .177 cal that shoots pellets half as heavy at a little higher velocity and see if I can hit the stinkers just hard enough to make them drop. I remember seeing somewhere a bullet shot from a sniper rifle into a glass bottle, the bullet passed right through the bottle with only an entrance hole and an exit hole, it didn't shatter the bottle, it didn't even knock it over. I think humans must die more quickly from a sniper shot to the head than squirrels.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
Exactly what are your wifes reasons for not letting you get a 22. Just to put things into perspective i got my first rifle, a 22, at age 8. How old are you?

If you live in an urban area... or something of that nature i can understand.

I guess it doesnt really matter since your wife has obviously layed the law down. A 22 isnt much more dangerous then 1200fps pellet rifle. Just discussion...

An as-50 should do nicely. :devil:

Attachments

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I've got a similar problem but I'm dealing with ground hogs. I've got two very close neighbors and I'm a little too urban for my first choice, a Ruger 10-22 with sub-sonic rounds. I've thought of looking for a cross bow or something since I haven't pulled a real bow in about 10 years and it would be harder to conceal if need be.

I'll keep following the thread to see what you come up with.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
I would think it would be to easy to loose and break bolts(arrows). Not only is it more expensive but a bow if shot in the wrong direction is much more dangerous then a pellet rifle. Plus you would have to clean the arrows after a hit.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I've had good luck with my Crosman 2100 Classic. It gets about ~750 FPS. I think its the highest powered pump gun crosman makes. You could also check out the spring powered ones. I think some of those will do 1000 fps.

Mike B. said:
I've got a similar problem but I'm dealing with ground hogs. I've got two very close neighbors and I'm a little too urban for my first choice, a Ruger 10-22 with sub-sonic rounds. I've thought of looking for a cross bow or something since I haven't pulled a real bow in about 10 years and it would be harder to conceal if need be.

I'll keep following the thread to see what you come up with.
1) Build small fire over one entrance to burrow.
2) Pour half a pint of gasoline down second entrance.
3) Stand back and wait about thirty seconds.
4) Observe.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
johnbryanpeters said:
1) Build small fire over one entrance to burrow.
2) Pour half a pint of gasoline down second entrance.
3) Stand back and wait about thirty seconds.
4) Observe.
That would work if they didn't live under my wooden front porch or my shed.

My dad told me about some great great uncle that would plug all of the holes then point the exhaust of an old gas engine down the hole. I'd rather not have them stinking as they rot under my porch/shed but I'd bet carbon monoxide would do the trick.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
benjamin sheridan. can shoot underwater, full wood stock lots of barrel option, but hefty price tag. has been shown to with more power thatn most 22 rifles with 10 pumps on the bengy. have had the same one for almost 10 years and still shoots perfectly straight no sight adjustmens or whatnot. off to the bars

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
My dad, and both of my brothers have scoped some Gamo Shadow pellet guns. They are break barrel 1000 fps shooters and from what I have seen are quite accurate. My dad defends our bird feeders like they are the Alamo and has probably taken out about 20 or so this year. I would look into those, they are .177 and you can buy stuff for them at Walmart, and can even buy the gun at Walmart with a cheap scope if thats your thing.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
My wife just says she doesn't want a gun in the house. I'm going to agree with her there, a 22 rimfire is going to be alot more dangerous with little kids around. I know that responsible gun ownership involves keeping guns where kids won't get to them and educating children about proper and appropriate gun use, that said I don't want the hassle. Lead pellets are harmless by themselves, I could keep them in a candy dish and wouldn't worry about my kids digging into them (hey, I ate paint chips as a kid ;) .22 rimfire rounds on the other hand open up a world of possiblities from smashing them with a hammer to making pipe bombs, that's just too dangerous in my opinion. Break barrel air guns do require some strength to cock as well, although an 8 year old should be able to cock the gun just barely, it's another level of safety, if small kids can't cock the gun, they can't do any damage with it.

I do live in a rural area and could probabally get away with shooting a firearm, maybe even something larger than a .22, but we are not so far away from the neighbors that a stray shot couldn't break a window or kill a barking dog at 2:00 AM. I'd rather not risk that. Even a high powered air rifle has a dangerous range of about 60 yards under ideal circumstances, beyond that the pellets just aren't heavy enough to carry enough energy.

There are other factors besides safety too. Lead pellets are cheaper, air guns generally are cheaper, I can buy an airgun today and take it home with me, I don't have to register the gun (not that it would be a problem,) they are quiet enough that I can pop off several shots before all the rabbits are spooked. There's also the challenge of shooting a small animal with a small projectile. Where's the sport in shooting a mouse at 10 yards with a shot gun? It's fun to shoot at cans that are just far enough away that actually hitting them is just plain luck too.

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
Big_Papa1080 said:
one of these (Ruger 10/22), it's semi auto so u can shoot faster too:
i agree. a 10/22 and sub-sonic rounds and is about as loud as my pellet gun. much better for picking off small animals/annoying neighbors

pellet guns are awesome too... just don't pack as much punch