Quantcast

Does anyone here swim?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I used to swim semi-competitively, but getting up at 6am to go swim in an outdoor 50 Meter pool got old really quick. (I mean really quick, when I got to that level, I only did it for like 2 weeks)

I am now really out of shape, and was looking for some type of cross training besides riding to get back in shape. I've been out of swimming for almost 5 years now, but today I headed out to one of the university pools today, and it KICKED MY A$$! I swam what used to be my warm up in about 3x the time is used to take me, and that was it. I was done for the day.

Anyone else swim, or used to swim? I never really realized how much of your body it acutually uses!

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
I've swam competetively since I was like a little kid... now its basically just to get in shape for water polo. Morning practice does indeed blow nuts.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
I swim in the summer for a local league. Its really uncompettitive and just fun. Last year i didnt do anything over the winter and i swam a 50 fly... nearly killed me haha.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
bballboy388 said:
I swim in the summer for a local league. Its really uncompettitive and just fun. Last year i didnt do anything over the winter and i swam a 50 fly... nearly killed me haha.

Yeah, Fly used to be my stroke when I was little, then i dislocated my shoulder when I was like 14 or 15, that was the end of fly! I COULD do it if I had to, like in an IM, but that was about it

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
my physical therapist has my swimming...but jumping into a cold @ss pool at 7am does indeed suck...but it is fun...D

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
BigMike said:
Yeah, Fly used to be my stroke when I was little, then i dislocated my shoulder when I was like 14 or 15, that was the end of fly! I COULD do it if I had to, like in an IM, but that was about it
i threw out my shoulder twice doing fly. during meets. was no good: i started out life with lax joints and now the right shoulder is particularly unstable, and part of the reason for why i quit downhilling even.

i was going to pick up swimming again after all these years, but it looks like i'm full up on hobbies at the moment, and adding more activities, even healthful ones, is not in the cards.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
After more than a couple of weeks off, you get REALLY out of shape. I placed in CIF for the 100 fly, but tendonitis forced me to stop. Shoulder strengthening exercises helped a lot to keep the shoulder in place with stronger accessory muscles, but more than 500 and I still have to stop.

I must say, water polo sucked, especially the morning practices, school, then after school practice, but it was the best shape I've ever been in.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
ive been swimming more frequently lately.. my goal is to do a mini triatholon this summer.. i dont think im swimming enough though. for some reason i was assuming it would be the easiest leg of the race... boy was i wrong 1/2 mile swim is rough

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Polandspring88 said:
If you can try cross country skiing. Skate skiing in particular will kick your ass and get you in really good shape.

I've never been skiing, and when I do go, it will be downhill skiing :D

but I do see how XC skiing could put you in shape

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
When I hurt my knee that was the only exercise I was allowed to do and damn...it I got a good workout! They are remodeling my pool right now and making it Olympic sized and then I'll get back into swimming.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Heidi said:
When I hurt my knee that was the only exercise I was allowed to do and damn...it I got a good workout! They are remodeling my pool right now and making it Olympic sized and then I'll get back into swimming.

Yeah, i'm hoping it helps with my knee rehab.

When you say "my pool" are you referring to your backyard, or a health club you belong to?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
BigMike said:
Yeah, i'm hoping it helps with my knee rehab.

When you say "my pool" are you referring to your backyard, or a health club you belong to?
At first I used one of those foam wedge thingies to put between my upper thighs so that I wouldn't kick because it hurt to move my knee at all. Then slowly I would start doing a couple laps without it and then a couple laps with it.

"My pool" is referring to the swim club I belong to. :)

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I really notice if i take some time off, it takes me a couple weeks to get back into shape, kinda like cycling but worse since I don't use my upper body for much else. I moved to LA about a year ago and just recently joined a gym and started swimming again. I had a pretty bad crash at the whoops and thought I had seperated my shoulder. Luckily, I just really only stretched everything about as far as it would go....

I started swimming a couple years ago for both exercise and to help with my shoulders. I started wrestling at age 6 and by the time my college career was ending I'd had 2 shoulder reconstructions plus dozens of other less severe injuries, swimming has been a great way to keep my shoulders tight and given me a reason to wear a speedo in front of women.

I used to surf a lot, but just don't have the time anymore, or the desire to deal with all the d!ckheads. I also tried ocean swimming, that's a whole different animal. The swimming's harder and I kept imagining a huge shark swimming right under me.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Thats too bad, it would be cool to have an olympic sized pool in your back yard.

But I guess a 50 meter 12' deep hole in your yard with a cement lining filled with water and chemicals woudl probably be pretty frikkin expensive!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
BigMike said:
Thats too bad, it would be cool to have an olympic sized pool in your back yard.

But I guess a 50 meter 12' deep hole in your yard with a cement lining filled with water and chemicals woudl probably be pretty frikkin expensive!

Yah, but I could have a few pool boys then :)

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
Funny...I was planning on going to the pool at lunch today for the first time in a long, long time.

I used to swim back in high school. Even started walking from my dorm to tryouts in college. I turned around halfway there thinking that I would be too busy to join the swim team. I have regretted it ever since.

Fly was my best stroke too. I don't think I could even do a length of it now. :(

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
druber said:
Funny...I was planning on going to the pool at lunch today for the first time in a long, long time.

I used to swim back in high school. Even started walking from my dorm to tryouts in college. I turned around halfway there thinking that I would be too busy to join the swim team. I have regretted it ever since.

Fly was my best stroke too. I don't think I could even do a length of it now. :(
If it goes anything like my experiance went yesterday, be prepeared to be frustrated!

Once I stopped being able to do Fly, my stroke was breast. I stopped swimming, but am still an expert at stroking breasts :devil:

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
BigMike said:
If it goes anything like my experiance went yesterday, be prepeared to be frustrated!

Once I stopped being able to do Fly, my stroke was breast. I stopped swimming, but am still an expert at stroking breasts :devil:
I'm prepared for the frustration. At least I float better now. ;)

In high school, we had t-shirts made that said "You show me your breast and I'll show you my fly". I imagine that a lot of swimmers had some similiar saying/shirt.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Swimming is hard, and it kicks my ass, but i find it one of the more fun ways of working out. And I really like it. So I use swimming as sort of a treat to my working out. I do wieght training on Mon and Wed, Spin Class on Tues and Thur...and then I swim on Fri. I look forward all week (while suffering through the rest of stuff) to my swims on Fri. And I cap off the swim with a sit in the Hot Tub.

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
Just got back.

Ouch.

Like said before...I swam what used to be a warm-up and I am dead tired. I'm also eating everything in sight. Damn, I'm hungry.

Yeah...we got in trouble for our t-shirt too. :)

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
Oh yeah. I like swimming too, but I get terribly bored after a couple hundred yards. I need to go look and see if they make a waterproof mp3 player.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
druber said:
Oh yeah. I like swimming too, but I get terribly bored after a couple hundred yards. I need to go look and see if they make a waterproof mp3 player.

Thats a good idea, but then you would have to get waterproof earphones, and somwhere to put it, keep the headphones in, and, and, and, and

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
BigMike said:
Thats a good idea, but then you would have to get waterproof earphones, and somwhere to put it, keep the headphones in, and, and, and, and
They have those fancy hi-tech ones for swimming that use bone conduction!

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
Heidi said:
They have those fancy hi-tech ones for swimming that use bone conduction!
I don't suppose you have a link to what you are referring. I guess I could google it, but I'm pretty lazy today. :)

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
I have swam since before I can remember. My mom used to have an american record in swimming and was a coach so I never remember not being at a pool. Was quite good actually, but as someone else has said, I have lax joints. Was first in P.T. at the age of 10. I started swimming summer league at 4 and year around at 5 (my mom made me wait). I started doubles/weights at 12, had to quite on and off because of injuries so...just finally quite swimming a couple of years ago. Would do pretty well up until I quit. Made it to sectionals in several things and finaled there but just a bit off of nationals. Once I was in college couldn't commit the time to it that I would of liked.

I will periodically swim with the masters group, it's been a while though. I swim with some of my friends who I swam with when we were young, all who went to nationals. One of them still has national age group records. And the pool kicks our ass every single time.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
With time it will get easier. Keep going and make sure you aren't just swimming laps for the sake of swimming laps. It's good to do some drills to make your form better.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Well, right now, I'm just swimming laps to try and get back into it. I have this great plan to swim MWF and ride TR and on the weekends. We'll see how long that goes on!

But yeah, for now, i'm just trying to swim to get back into swimming, and get some excercise and get in shape, drills will come later :dead::dead:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I swam competitively through high school and university (full scholarship). I miss it a lot - even the morning workouts (although getting up a 4:30am in the winter in Canada was less than fun at times). 100 free (especially long course) was always my favorite. I have vivid memories of New Years day workouts doing situps to match the year before getting into the water (as in "do 1990 situps, then swim") - all with a wicked hangover.

Team shirts from the past: SWIM NAKED; Harder, faster, smoother strokes.