Quantcast

Does anyone like 650b?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've tried one as a rear wheel on a Carver Bumblebee - 650b/29er - it works better than a 69er IMO.

I'd like to try a 650b in front to see how it feels.

and splat - you crack me up.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Oh and Lord Opie are you talking about 650b for road or trail duty?
for whichever.

But I definitely see no need for pavement.

(My comments do not apply to anywhere else (Europe?) where 650b has been used for years.)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Oh and I was way skeptical of this new wheelsize at first, but after some time on the Carver and seeing the quality of the NeoMoto tire - I have different thoughts.

I think it can make sense for a few mtb related applications

1. Full suspension bikes as 29er FS bikes almost all have super long chainstays -the 650b can allow for shorter rear chainstays

2. For shorter riders who want to try something bigger than 26" wheels

3. As the rear tire in a mixed wheelsize bike like Carver's Bumblebee or as a front tire in a 26/650b mixed wheelsize bike

Just my thoughts.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
real men ride 29ers, 650 is for bisexuals, and 26 is for the ghays and midgets. Hmm, I wonder what ghay midgets ride??
A folding Bike Friday?

i'm with you. the worst is when they mix sizes on bikes (69er, 29/650b).
The biggest annoyance for me is all the wheels in my garage. But now that you mention the mixing... that means you have to carry at least two different size tubes. And if you plan on going for great distance, twice the spokes, twice the tires.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In the future we will be riding bikes with continuously variable wheel diameters that will optimize themselves for momentary BB height, rolling resistance, OTB resistance, cornering and acceleration requirements. Fixed wheel bikes wil strictly l be the domain of urban hipsters.

donkeyWC

Chimp
May 5, 2007
A folding Bike Friday?

The biggest annoyance for me is all the wheels in my garage. But now that you mention the mixing... that means you have to carry at least two different size tubes. And if you plan on going for great distance, twice the spokes, twice the tires.
yep, that's what i'm talking about. unnecessarily complicated.

hey westy, how about a 29/650b forum? :)

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
:stupid: he would be in heaven talking with bike reps and trying every bike in sight!!!
Some NE monkeys, MMcG included, should see about finding their way to the Interbike Outdoor Demo to be held in Providence, RI in October to handle press coverage for RM. It's industry only of course but there are ways.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Some NE monkeys, MMcG included, should see about finding their way to the Interbike Outdoor Demo to be held in Providence, RI in October to handle press coverage for RM. It's industry only of course but there are ways.
NICE. Being a shop employee counts as industry, right?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
In the future we will be riding bikes with continuously variable wheel diameters that will optimize themselves for momentary BB height, rolling resistance, OTB resistance, cornering and acceleration requirements. Fixed wheel bikes wil strictly l be the domain of urban hipsters.
I want a bike that can change wheel size on the fly. All these bikes with fixed wheel size are so 2001.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
He's a whore. He'll try anything if the demo is free.
Free is the way to go:thumb:

The BMW park bike I had in 03 was borrowed from my friend while I waited for new bikes. He was one of those taller riders that "needs" 29ers only he was riding the Park bike with dual 24s. Too steep for me that way and not exactly the best for trails either way.

I say MMcG should make a 40er, 29/69er/650B/7.59er is too mainstream now.