Quantcast

Does anyone make a decent 60mm stem?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I'd like to know this too. I am building up a large 6 point and a 60mm stem sounds like the ticket for my tastes.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Gravity Light makes a nice forged piece on par w Thomson. Chromag also. I'm assuming your talking single crown?

allen

Chimp
Mar 25, 2012
NJ
Not 60 but close, I've got an Easton Haven 55mm 0deg that I just put on an old 7pt i'm building up.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ahhhh if you want uncool just search Google UK for parts, 175mm is still the cool **** there-

Also since the thread now caters for weirdos my inner armchair engineer is coming out. I see those Renthal stems as being one of the most stupid stems on the market, normally your bar is held in place by a concave piece of alloy and and some bolt tension. On the Renthal if you are stomping the pedals all the force is on the bolts as there is the build does nothing to assist.

I can't understand why more people don't make like RF, their design locks the front plate to the body and to me that seems like the best way to make a light strong stem. I ran a Straitline pinch stem but could never get it tight enough to stop twisting while pedalling so it was binned.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I've been using chromag rangers for the past few years on most of my bikes, they're awesome, no fuss, solid stems. And they're made 5 minutes from where I live by guys I know.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I had a 6° rise 70mm stem on my Mojo HD before and caved in to the modern fashion of shorter stems. I rode a 50mm Thomson last year. I didn't feel much of a difference in DH performance, but would hit my knees on the bars sometimes, and seemed to wash out a bit more. I have three spacers under the stem and the bar is pretty much 1.5" below the seat at full extension. So now I'm looking for a 60mm stem because I want to stay shorter than 70mm.

If I'm washing out, I'm guessing I need more weight over the front. Which means longer and/or lower. I think.

I was contemplating the 60mm ranger, but was in the shop this weekend and compared a Thomson and a Ranger side by side. Thomson finishing is much much nicer, and the faceplate is much wider too. So now I'm thinking Thomson or Turbine. But it seems you can't get the Turbine in 60mm 0° rise, correct? a 60mm stem with rise would probably put me in the same position as a flat 50mm wouldn't it?

So the only flat 60mm stem that I can think of is Thomson?