Quantcast

Does cracked paint around the headtube usually indicate a cracked headtube?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I was cleaning my bike with the intention of selling it, until I noticed a small crack right behind weld on the downside of the headtube/downtube junction. I can't really see the metal behind it, but the powdercoat is definitely cracked. Does this generally mean a headtube crack is there, or shortly coming? I don't really want to have to get the bike x-rayed, or strip the paint to see.

On a related note, the bike is still under warranty, but I literally just sent another personal frame back to the same manufacturer for an almost identical crack. Think this will affect any potential warranty claim?

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
when in doubt, send it in. it shouldnt effect any warranty claim. its obviously a problem of QC if you have already sent another one back.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
The paint can be cracked without the metal going full humpty, but it requires quite a bit of movement. If the frame is aluminum you're probably going to find a gap in the metal. Steel is more likely to flex enough to break the paint without cracking.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Thanks for the responses so far. I went back out to take pictures, and realized both the left and right sides have the same crack. So it's almost definitely the frame itself... either way here are some pictures:

Left side:

Right side:

I'm also trying to somewhat hold off on a warranty claim, since this frame was redesigned for 2010, so with luck I'd get one of the new frames as a replacement...