Quantcast

Does Everyone Work Half Assed?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I've worked for several agencies and design shops over the years, but never have I seen such half assed work ethics since I landed in Phoenix eleven years ago.

Poorly named files, no logic behind most things. Makes me freaking nuts!

Me: "Why do we have 600 folders on our FTP site?"

Zit Faced Moron: "It's alright."

Me: "What do you mean it's alright? These folders are years old, and you expect our clients and vendors to dig through all of this crap to find files?"

Zit Faced Moron: "Yeah, It's alright."

Me: "Wow, you are a moron."

Zit Faced Moron: Walks away in silence.

:rant:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I see what you did there.

But in all seriousness...........sending a DVD with files to India, China and Japan has worked 10x better than dealing with FTP sites.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
The Onion has answers for all who seek them:
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/incompetent_staff_feels

"Incompetent Staff Feels Underappreciated"

KNOXVILLE, TN—Taking a break from surfing the web, going out for multiple cups of coffee, and missing important work deadlines, employees at Winthrop Media complained once again Monday about being taken for granted.

"I come in almost every day, bust my hump for like four or five hours, and what do I get? Nothing," said Tom Bertram, one of several chronic underachievers employed by the Knoxville advertising firm. "You'd think management could show us a little appreciation now and again. It's not like I particularly enjoy just sitting around here all day."

Bertram then returned to his computer's web browser, logged out of Facebook, and hurriedly responded to 14 work e-mails that had accumulated in his in-box.

According to sources, the 36-year-old isn't the only incompetent employee on staff who feels undervalued. Joseph Garten, a production designer, notorious procrastinator, and all-around liability, said that he wished he got more respect around the office.

"A simple thank-you from the higher-ups would be nice," said Garten, who spends nearly 60 percent of his workweek making personal calls from his desk. "Yesterday I stayed late in order to finish up some work I've been putting off, and nobody even noticed."

Added Garten, "I don't know how much longer I can keep killing myself like this."

In addition to receiving praise for their hard work, the inept and often neglectful staff members said they'd like to see a number of new incentives introduced. Among them, a larger and more comfortable break room where employees can go unwind, longer extensions on overdue projects, and the option of working from home on Fridays and possibly also Mondays.

"This place would fall apart without me," said routinely absent project coordinator Susan McIntyre. "I'm the only one around here who actually knows how to use the popcorn maker, and I almost always remember to wash my mug in the sink after I'm done using it. Plus, I show up to meetings only like a minute or two late."

"Honestly now," McIntyre continued. "They're lucky I just don't pack up my things and leave."

Despite feelings of frustration, employees at the design firm have yet to bring their misplaced concerns and unfounded complaints directly to management. Instead, many choose to air their grievances by making passive- aggressive comments beneath their breath, setting aside important assignments in favor of reading gossip columns, and sneaking out several times each week to grab a "much- deserved drink."

"Our Christmas party this year was the last straw for me," said Deborah Castor, whose early departures to attend a scrapbooking class have resulted in the advertising firm losing two separate clients. "Some crappy Secret Santa thing, a bowl of punch, and a box of Archway cookies and they call it a holiday bash? We're the heart and soul of this company, for Christ's sake."

While no one has come forward as of yet, management at Winthrop Media is reportedly aware of its employees' reticence to work and prepared to take action.

"We've already tried buying everyone lunch and handing out big bonuses, but so far nothing's worked," company president Harvey Dunn said. "I wish I could just fire the entire staff for being so incompetent, but between going on vacation and running around trying to buy a second home, I'm really only in the office a couple of days a year."

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Somewhere there is a forum with this post...

There's this super bitchy drunk guy that thinks the world revolves around him. He's a graphic designer, so he thinks he's way more chic that he is. On top of that, he rides to work. I think he lost his license or something.

Kid - how much trouble is it to look for the folder that has the title of what you need?

Drunk guy - look, the world is about me.

Kid - they want us to keep the files in case someone ever needs them.

Drunk guy - I don't care. Me, me me...

Kid - whatever, dude, I'm sure you'll be somewhere else soon enough, bitching about them on a bike forum instead of doing your job. I should go audit log files now.

I can see how it really went down. :rofl:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!

There's this super bitchy drunk guy that thinks the world revolves around him. He's a graphic designer, so he thinks he's way more chic that he is. On top of that, he rides to work. I think he lost his license or something.

Kid - how much trouble is it to look for the folder that has the title of what you need?

Kid - whatever, dude, I'm sure you'll be somewhere else soon enough, bitching about them on a bike forum instead of doing your job. I should go audit log files now.

:biggrin: Who hacked Loco's account?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO

Nice post. Every once in a while you surprise me.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch

ta-dow. that's how it's done.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Fixed

I've worked for several agencies and design shops over the years, but never have I seen such half assed work ethics since I landed in Phoenix eleven years ago.

Me: "Is there a reason we have 600 folders on our FTP site?"

Zit Faced Moron: "No"

Me: (reorganize everything so that it will make sense to everyone and type up an explanation of the new system to give to everyone)

Me: "Is there a reason we have 600 folders on our FTP site?"

Zit Faced Moron: "Yes"

Me: (Go back to work.)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I used to work with a lot of graphic designers. Most of them were pretentions a$$holes who thought they were the greatest sh*t in the world. A few were talented, but most of them just played cut and paste with clip art.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I used to work with a lot of graphic designers. Most of them were pretentions a$$holes.
Those are the ones that finally realized they spent 4 years and all of that college tuition money for someone to show them how to use the latest version of Adobe Creative Suite.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey

:weee:

so how many neg reps did you get for that? :biggrin:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I work at 100%. About 80 hours or more a week.

I have no local friends, and children that seem to eat their own weight in food once a day, so that helps motivate me.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ive been working half-assed recently but still doing 100% of my work and doing 140% of my quota....now imagine if i worked at 100%

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
When I am compensated for the full value of my ass I will work full assed. Until then the file system stays screwed. (And your password is not going to work on monday morning)

Never fvck with the IT guy. (Or when playing live, your sound man.)