Quantcast

Does H8R's Band Kick Ass?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Who the hell hasn't heard neurosis?
I'd heard them a few times but don't really know them well, and until last night I had never seen them live. They played a sold out gig at the Great American Music Hall in SF last night and the answer is hells yeah, H8R's band kicks ass. They bring layers and layers of sound, a lot of space between huge onslaughts. Some tunes built slowly to punishing crescendos, others made more abrubt changes, but throughout the effect was waves and waves of heavy sound. And the band was super tight, definitely pros who've been playing together for years.

H8R's drum sound is huge and I feel sorry for his cymbals. Once he gets to the pounding he is a thunderous basher. Friggin rad show.

:thumb:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'd heard them a few times but don't really know them well, and until last night I had never seen them live. They played a sold out gig at the Great American Music Hall in SF last night and the answer is hells yeah, H8R's band kicks ass. They bring layers and layers of sound, a lot of space between huge onslaughts. Some tunes built slowly to punishing crescendos, others made more abrubt changes, but throughout the effect was waves and waves of heavy sound. And the band was super tight, definitely pros who've been playing together for years.

H8R's drum sound is huge and I feel sorry for his cymbals. Once he gets to the pounding he is a thunderous basher. Friggin rad show.

Sounds about right. I wish tahoe was worth them coming up to play. I'd love to hear them these days........being old men now and all.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004

I'm joining an acoustic band playing bongos. This rock sh1t gets expensive.

LA on Saturday night:
Brand new bass drum beater, steel, bent almost 90 degrees.
4 pairs of sticks
Three drum heads

SF last night:
Bass drum pedal board, snapped at the hinge in the last 5 seconds of the last song
4 pairs of sticks

AND I just replaced a few cymbals before this weekend.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I'm joining an acoustic band playing bongos. This rock sh1t gets expensive.

LA on Saturday night:
Brand new bass drum beater, steel, bent almost 90 degrees.
4 pairs of sticks
Three drum heads

SF last night:
Bass drum pedal board, snapped at the hinge in the last 5 seconds of the last song
4 pairs of sticks

AND I just replaced a few cymbals before this weekend.
Damn dude, WTF is that about... I know people that have been playing the same equipment for 10 years. Well, not beaters or heads, but certain cymbals, pedals, etc.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Damn dude, WTF is that about... I know people that have been playing the same equipment for 10 years. Well, not beaters or heads, but certain cymbals, pedals, etc.
I actually had good luck with the newer Tama pedals. I've broke a couple in the last several years. Before that I would have to buy a new pedal and a spare pretty much every tour. (I always have a spare on the floor to my right for quick changes))

Cymbals? They are somewhere between instruments and supplies for me. I only recently started buying the nicer ones again. (about $250 - $350 each)

I've destroyed ride cymbals in as little as 10 gigs.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I actually had good luck with the newer Tama pedals. I've broke a couple in the last several years. Before that I would have to buy a new pedal and a spare pretty much every tour. (I always have a spare on the floor to my right for quick changes))

Cymbals? They are somewhere between instruments and supplies for me. I only recently started buying the nicer ones again. (about $250 - $350 each)

I've destroyed ride cymbals in as little as 10 gigs.
Those high end pedals don't hold up for you any longer than a coupld of years? Our drummer has this new DW top of the line pedal (8000, or 9000 or something like that)... looks pretty bullet proof. I'd huck off a 50 footer on it, no doubt.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Those high end pedals don't hold up for you any longer than a coupld of years? Our drummer has this new DW top of the line pedal (8000, or 9000 or something like that)... looks pretty bullet proof. I'd huck off a 50 footer on it, no doubt.
I've looked at the 9000 pedal, pretty damn nice. I'm not crazy about the feel of the DW pedals though, for some reason the Tama pedals have this "umph" to them them in the last inch of the pedal stroke that really nails the impact just like I like it.

Eh, I dunno.

This looks attractive though:

I like the hinge bearing.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I've looked at the 9000 pedal, pretty damn nice. I'm not crazy about the feel of the DW pedals though, for some reason the Tama pedals have this "umph" to them them in the last inch of the pedal stroke that really nails the impact just like I like it.

Eh, I dunno.

What can ya say... when it feels right it feels right. I'm no drumset player, I just know I have looked closely at our drummers pedal and it looks pretty damn sturdy... I literally said something about it looking like bike equipment.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
What can ya say... when it feels right it feels right. I'm no drumset player, I just know I have looked closely at our drummers pedal and it looks pretty damn sturdy... I literally said something about it looking like bike equipment.
These guys would be the Nicholai or Avalanche of drum equipment then:

Trick Percussion:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ah jeez, doesn't DW get enough praise around here already?

Seriously H8R, good stuff last night. If you were tired it sure didn't show in the way you were pounding.