Quantcast

Does having a top 5 NORBA ranking in 'Sport' mean anything?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
N8 said:
It's in the USA and in a specific age range...

Yeah... the term 'sandbagger' has been used... :p

rule is 3 top 3's, or 5 top 5's and you need to move up........unless you are in the middle of a state championship point series, then you can wait to move up at the end of the season.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
douglas said:
rule is 3 top 3's, or 5 top 5's and you need to move up........unless you are in the middle of a state championship point series, then you can wait to move up at the end of the season.

That's be my thoughts as well...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
santacruzer87 said:
it is, look at the sea otter times, sport and beginner are basically the same....
We have way too many classes. And age brackets are ghey. Everyone has to be a winner. :nopity: :trophy_br

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
profro said:
We have way too many classes. And age brackets are ghey. Everyone has to be a winner. :nopity: :trophy_br
Your damn right! This year I'm racing "Expert Married White Male 34-36 with last name M-Z".

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
If someone is getting top 5's in sport, they'll be somewhat competitive in expert. Once they see the level of the other expert riders, they'll most likely push themselves that much and rise to the ocaison. End result= they will be a faster rider, and more satisfied with any good results that may come.

Racing is mostly psychological, and a top 5 sport rider probably does know his/her sh1t. A little more training and they're in with the X's.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
i'm with profo. that ranking system is SOOOOOOOO screwed up. there are a ton of areas that have a ton of norba races while other areas have none at all. also in theory you could just race in a very concentrated person and be the top ranked person in your class with out competing in a single national.
cross is the sameeeee way if you live in new england. you can be in the top 20 in the world, and in ceratin cases in the top 10 in the world and never raced over in europe. it's not right i tell you.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
indieboy said:
i'm with profo. that ranking system is SOOOOOOOO screwed up. there are a ton of areas that have a ton of norba races while other areas have none at all.
Yep...our regional championship series (Intermountain Cup) blew off NORBA. I haven't needed a license for awhile...Think I'm gonna get one this season.

And usually the top five in Sport are sandbaggers. Around here, Sport is about as strong as the Expert cat, but then you have the guys who are doing a first time race and don't want to get labeled a newb, so they race Sport and get raped...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
indieboy said:
so they're sandbaggers b/c they're in the top 5? i'm not so sure i agree with that.

Yeah.

Last year's Snowshoe National Expert DH 19-24, 25-29, and 30-34 only had 15 competitors in each bracket. So a third of the class will be on the podium? And each sport DH class had less than 10. So HALF of the competitors were on the podium. :nopity:

There should be Sport, Expert, Junior, and Pro, with no age brakets. However if you must, rankings can be done by age and state. :clue:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
profro said:
Yeah.

Last year's Snowshoe National Expert DH 19-24, 25-29, and 30-34 only had 15 competitors in each bracket. So a third of the class will be on the podium? And each sport DH class had less than 10. So HALF of the competitors were on the podium. :nopity:

There should be Sport, Expert, Junior, and Pro, with no age brakets. However if you must, rankings can be done by age and state. :clue:
yeah...with less peeps racing, 5 year brackets are lame

I do a series where I am in the 19-39 bracket