Quantcast

Does it matter that McCain is computer illiterate?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I don't think it matters for governing the country. Most computer people put too much value in the computer and the internet.

However, to win the election, it very much matters.

“I do understand the importance of the computer,” Mr. McCain reassured in The San Francisco Chronicle last week. “I understand the importance of the blogs.” He said, “I am forcing myself — let me put it this way, I am using the computer more and more every day.” But keeping up with technology “doesn’t mean that I have to e-mail people,” he said. “Now, I read e-mails.” The staff is “constantly showing them to me as the news breaks during the day.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/weekinreview/03leibovich.html?ref=us

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Of course it matters. The internet and email are huge productivity boosters. Imagine a president circa 1950 not being able to use a phone. Would that have been a problem?

My mother in law is the same age as McCain, and she learned how to use a computer in no time. The other week I walked her through booting into safe mode to fix something. It's not that hard.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
He couldn't buy a positive news story about him if he wanted.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
As long as his people are computer literate, it should be fine. It doesn't help his old image, but when Bush Senior is driving you around in a golf cart, and you look older than he does, you have given up on shedding the old image.

The amount of people that think Obama is a Muslim is going up as well, to 15% of Americans. That means that over 45 million Americans think he is a Muslim. That will make a bigger impact than his computer-illiteracy.

edit: That is 2 Texases worth of people that think he is a Muslim

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
hillary couldn't cook/clean/felch & a few million people yawned

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The amount of people that think Obama is a Muslim is going up as well, to 15% of Americans. That means that over 45 million Americans think he is a Muslim. That will make a bigger impact than his computer-illiteracy.
I wrote a letter to the Obama campaign letting them know I am only voting for him because he's a Muslim. Just to **** with them.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wrote a letter to the Obama campaign letting them know I am only voting for him because he's a Muslim. Just to **** with them.
I wrote a letter to McCain
The other day
They opened and read it
It said they were suckers
He wanted me for their army or whatever
Picture me given' a damn - I said never
Here is a land that never gave a damn
About a brother like me and myself
Because they never did
I wasn't wit' it, but just that very minute...
It occured to me
The suckers had authority

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wrote a letter to McCain
The other day
They opened and read it
It said they were suckers
He wanted me for their army or whatever
Picture me given' a damn - I said never
Here is a land that never gave a damn
About a brother like me and myself
Because they never did
I wasn't wit' it, but just that very minute...
It occured to me
The suckers had authority
I owe you rep. Or do I owe Chuck D? Either way.

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Mother**** a war, that's how I feel
Sendin' a nigga to the desert to get killed
Cause two suckas can't agree on something
A thousand mother****ers died for nothing
You can't pay me to join an army camp
Or any other mother****in' military branch
of this United goddman States of this bitch America
Be a soldier, what for?
They puttin' niggas on the front line
But when it comes to gettin' ahead, they put us way behind
I ain't gettin' my leg shot off
While Bush old ass on t.v. playin' golf
But when you come to my house with that draft ****
I'm a shoot your funky ass bitch
A nigga'll die for a brawl
But I ain't fightin' behind no goddamn oil
Against mother****as I don't know
Yo Bush! I ain't your damn hoe
The enemy is right here g, them foreigners never did **** me
All of those wasted lives
And only one or two get recognized
But what good is a medal when your dead? tell Uncle Sam I said
I ain't goin' to war for a **** talkin' president

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I guess McClown can get by without knowing how to email (himself) But christ does he need better "Advisers"!!!!!

The newest neocon catastrophe

John McCain, who yesterday declared "we are all Georgians", is being advised by Randy Scheunemann, a neocon who, until March was registered with the US justice Department as "a foreign agent working on behalf of the government of Georgia."

A bit of a worry to see that a presidential candidate who is reputed to be strong on his foreign policy, is being guided and advised by such corrupt incompetent toadies! :rant:

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
A bit of a worry to see that a presidential candidate who is reputed to be strong on his foreign policy
His foreign policy experience is losing a bunch of air planes and being a POW for 5 years, he doesn't know anything about the Muslim world at all.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
anyone see the interview on CNN where a southern woman said she could never vote for Obama because he was a "Muslim Terrorist" and then they interviewed a guy from georgia at a baseball game that said "I could never vote for a black man because the only time I've ever seen a black man with change, he was holding a cup."

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
*hint* Georgia is a majority christian country. ;)
I was referring to his Sunni/Shia blunders, and considering he wants to make a move on Iran in addition to our Iraq and Afghanistan wars, his knowledge, or lack thereof, of that area is fairly important

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
anyone see the interview on CNN where a southern woman said she could never vote for Obama because he was a "Muslim Terrorist" and then they interviewed a guy from georgia at a baseball game that said "I could never vote for a black man because the only time I've ever seen a black man with change, he was holding a cup."
She was from the South, would you expect any different? Black People=terrorist

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I was referring to his Sunni/Shia blunders, and considering he wants to make a move on Iran in addition to our Iraq and Afghanistan wars, his knowledge, or lack thereof, of that area is fairly important
do you hold the same high standards for the high priest of the left? i think it's much easier to find material to throw back at mccain b/c he's taken a swing at so many pitches. i'm not in the tank for him, but take a step back & realize voting for obama has a lot of similarities for voting for bush on his first term: there wasn't much prior scrutiny of history due to lack of material.

again, i think it's time i toot the horn again for condi. if you're going to elect someone who doesn't have much governing experience, at least elect someone who has the courage of their convictions & is probably the smartest person in teh room. just too bad she's unmarried, a woman, and muslim - err, i mean black.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
do you hold the same high standards for the high priest of the left? i think it's much easier to find material to throw back at mccain b/c he's taken a swing at so many pitches. i'm not in the tank for him, but take a step back & realize voting for obama has a lot of similarities for voting for bush on his first term: there wasn't much prior scrutiny of history due to lack of material.
of course I hold them to the same standards, McCain has shown that he is quite clueless about the situation in the middle east, and Obama has at least advocated a separate Palestinian state (so did Sharon, so that isn't saying much).

The similarities are stretching it, because Bush is a neocon and Obama isn't. The direction the country is going is pretty terrible, and John McCain is the status quo and Obama is at least a little bit in the right direction.

Do I think Obama is going to bring change and hope for this country like some people believe? Of course not, he is a politician.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I still think it matters, but I guess that's just me.

When a majority of secret+ documents are transmitted electronically these days, not knowing how to handle them in that format is just a bad idea. When I learned top secret video conferences happen between agencies on non-secured lines, I was blown away.