Quantcast

Does it take Balls?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Allright, I was browsing Orven's gallery and also notice a "what do you wear thread" in the gallery that got me thinking about a question I've had for quite some time. I am assuming most DHers/Frers wear baggy shorts. Now, I have always worn spandex underneath to keep the boys safely huddled in a corner, but I've noticed a lot of guys just wearing boxxers! No, i am not checking out guys in their drawers but WTF! I could possibly fathom tightie whities but boxxers? How many of you guys do this and how are you...uh...still in the mens class?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
been wearing boxxers with cargo shorts over 'em for years now, and I've never hit the boys. I used to wear spandex underneath for the same reasons as you but it felt gay. Have no fear, the boys will be happier if set free, and I don't think it makes 'em any more injury-prone.....

When I did crew (gotta wear spandex b/c anything baggy gets caught in the sliding seat), one dude would always wear boxxers UNDER his spandex.....odd......

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
hey man. we both love to ride!

but i only ride a HT with a 12 inch seat tube soo i have tons of clearence but if i was on a taller bike, mabysome support might be in order.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Originally posted by DßR
...When I did crew (gotta wear spandex b/c anything baggy gets caught in the sliding seat), one dude would always wear boxxers UNDER his spandex.....odd......
That sounds very, very uncomfy.

Yeah I wear boxers under pants for riding sometimes; no problem. I don't really relish the feel of lycra.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
i wear boxxers under dainese...mostly cause i dont feel like:

A) getting naked in the parking lot more often that i have to
B) driving with my nuts tucked against my leg....

but i do prefer spandex under my armor.

but if im wearing just shorts for riding around, boxxers like whoa.

~SGD

snipes287

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
I wear boxxers with whatever im riding in. never once have I worn spandex or anything like it for riding and I don't plan to. I already wrestle and swim so my life has enough spandex in it as it is thank you very much:D

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I'll wear knicks when riding for 2+hrs, but all other times it's boxers... oohh the cool breeze blowing through as you ride, feels so refreshing

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
no boxxers for me after my incident which had my boys nearly ripped off. it hurt....a lot. isnt it funny how instead of spelling boxers "boxers" most riders who downhill spell it "boxxers"

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by LukeD
isnt it funny how instead of spelling boxers "boxers" most riders who downhill spell it "boxxers"
I noticed that when I proof read my post, I changed it to a single X and it looked a bit odd.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The fear of spandex leads to some very odd threads... :rolleyes:

There used to be a picture floating around of some guy who tore his sack open and nearly lost his nuts. Small price to pay for not feeling gay. :thumb:

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Originally posted by LukeD
no boxxers for me after my incident which had my boys nearly ripped off. it hurt....a lot. isnt it funny how instead of spelling boxers "boxers" most riders who downhill spell it "boxxers"
What a great idea for Rock Shox apperal... Boxxer boxers!!! I would buy them, and then when I left skid marks in them I could say " oh they always leak like that".:D

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Originally posted by Serial Midget
The fear of spandex leads to some very odd threads... :rolleyes:

There used to be a picture floating around of some guy who tore his sack open and nearly lost his nuts. Small price to pay for not feeling gay. :thumb:
It's really not fear of lycra for me; more the dislike of the "nuts against your leg" and "gettin' ass nekid' in the p-lot" that a previous poster mentioned. I can surely see the benefits tho, especially if your in/on the saddle a lot.

For the '02 Mount Snow race I wore full lycra and a camelback to test my "the dorkier I dress the faster I go" theory. I got on the podium so it couldn't have hurt too much :confused:

But seriously wearing different clothes affects my riding way too much. I will now refer you all to my thread on why I love wearing pants :p

http://www.vorb.org.nz/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10406

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i always wear spandex under my baggies when hitting the trail. riding is just not comfortable when hanging loose. for djing i'll often wear boxers, under jeans that is. boxers + shorts == bzzt :dead: ow

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by dhtahoe
when I left skid marks in them I could say " oh they always leak like that".:D
Of course...it's just a blown seal. Maybe you should do some o-ring maintenance...

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
i do almost all of my XXXTREME riding in relativly tight jeans with boxers. I dont see any purpose to having my nuts any closer in then they already are.

ill save the lyrca shorts for road and xc rides

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Whenever it's not urban assault time, I always ride with at least tighties, and preferably my riding spandex. If it's a long ride, tighties, even those fancy microfiber ones just aren't as comfy as my Sugoi riding spandes, gotta love the suede. But yes, I do wear some baggies over the spandex at all times. Most rides are so close to my house that I don't mind wearing them back to the house. On the ones that are far away, I will change in the car. Oh well.
The reason for the spandex is because I have hit my nuts many times w/ and w/o ball-retaining clothing. I much prefer to be hit in spandex versus hit in boxers. I'm afraid that my seat will someday actually rip my sack off. Messes up my confidence, and my spandex is actually comfortable, and I'm not a fan of boxers in the first place, so there ya go.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I am a roadie and I can not lie... If I'm riding a bike for any length of time I'm wearing spandex. Road, DH, XC, DJ, BMX... Wearing anything else, just doesn't feel right...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Boxers for everything! I'll wear boxers under Dainese armor. Never had a problem in terms of comfort or 'catching' something somewhere.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Originally posted by reflux
hmm, so the people who are worried about getting butt naked in parking lots have never heard of this thing called a "towel."
Yeah, I normally take my swimming gear whenever I go for a ride, just because.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by Pegboy
I am assuming most DHers/Frers wear baggy shorts. How many of you guys do this and how are you...uh...still in the mens class?

When I do suburban slaughter I wear really loose denim jeans with chain wallet and stuff...you see me at BB with these. :p
Truth is, I have ran out of tightie whities I normally wear when racing (or suburban slaughter or RM7-ing) since most of them are dirty as hell (from dirt-crashes and dirt-mud splashes). So lately, I had to wear boxxxxers. Question! Are boxxxer briefs OK to wear underneath riding shorts?

It was 90+ degrees, what can I say?!:p

edit: First time I wore them racing and I will never wear boxxxxers while racing again. My boxxers bunched up like a mofo on both of my runs yesterday....:mad:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I am a boxer guy but wear boxxer-briefs under Dainese. Boxers + dainese = no likelyhood of procreation even if I can find a woman who is willing.
I want to get something synthetic. Underwear that is. But maybe a synthetic woman would also be a good idea. Hmm.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by profro
I loose the feeling of the seat when wearing cycling shorts with a pad and I don't like that.
i thought this was desireable, not "feeling" the seat :eek: :dead:

Robin

Chimp
Nov 7, 2003
Having hooked up a jump and had my saddle smack my nuts so hard that I ended up with one of them the size of a tennis ball when I was wearing boxers I now always wear lycra to get a little more clearance. That REALLY f'in hurt... for ages.... As for changing, take a beach towel, wear it round your waist, get changed underneath... not too hard.

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
You can also wear this. Comp Air shorts: Freeride shorts to be worn under pants or shorts. Integrated chamois, removable padding on the hips, non-slipping.

That will suit me fine.