Quantcast

Does MTV still suck?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I grew up on MTV Sunday Nights... Young Ones followed by 120 Minutes. Monday's were painful :D

Does MTV do any socially interesting, 'cutting-edge', mind expanding stuff these days?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Well, let me ask if you thought they did back in the 80s?
They were repetitiously amazing in the early 80's. There was a time where you would watch whatever the fvck they put up, because they were the only one doing it.

If I were them, I'd reboot.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
I was born in 1985 so I don't remember the good days of MTV, but as long as I can remember MTV has been one big pile of failure.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
They do nothing. That television channel only shows videos:

-from 4am-5am (or some ungodly hours like that)
-on TRL in which they only play the first 30 seconds of the videos.

They say that if you want music to watch MTV2 or MTV Hits or MTV Tres' or MTV Jams... but all they play is rap. And that's fine, in the sense that that's what's popular right now (even if musical tastes are suffering and dying). But I've turned my attention to FUSE. That's a far better network is besides Pants off Dance off, they actually play music and full videos by some more obscure bands. I also watch VH1 a lot.

But I can't pull myself away from the retardo dating shows on MTV. I was watching NEXT this morning because I feel so smart when I watch those idiots.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
MUSIC television. Where are the vids of music?!!

They show 15 sec clips which is unacceptable... and I'm not going to pay extra $$ to get a premium mtv channel that actually shows what it should be.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Only good thing on is Metal Mania on VH1. We don't get MTV2, but they ruined that as well anyway.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The first few years of Headbangers Ball were awesome. Then when hair-metal took over, it became "3-hours of the same crap we play all day anyway".

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
muchmusic used to have its moments (don't watch cable anymore). used to watch loud all the time, and sook-yin lee's eyeball theater was fun.

oh - anybody remember bombshelter videos (out of seattle, i believe)? some good alternative (as bastardized as the word is) video content.

tacklespore

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Texas
It seemed like much music played the same songs over and over. I watched out of country, but it was the same 10 songs or so
??

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Every once in a while i'll see some bouncing boobs on MTV while channel surfing.But MTV has sucked for about 18 years now !