Quantcast

Does North America need another UCI points race?

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
According to USA Cycling in 2010 the US (outside of world cups and nationals) had only 2 races that met the criteria for UCI points, Crankworx Colorado DH race and Plattekill's Gravity Open in May.

Do you think another race in North America would make sense?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
According to USA Cycling in 2010 the US (outside of world cups and nationals) had only 2 races that met the criteria for UCI points, Crankworx Colorado DH race and Plattekill's Gravity Open in May.

Do you think another race in North America would make sense?
yes.

2 east coast, one msc, one pacnw, and one cali (norcal or socal).

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
absolutely. so far it looks like there will be at least one additional UCI points races next year (on the west coast)... well the application has been submitted. i don't see why it wouldn't be accepted.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The more the better. I just got back from a few days at Highland, you would not believe how many beginners were on the hill. It was awesome and we need to start building the racing system back up to give the kids that want to race the opportunity and motivation to advance to the World stage.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
$$$

Definitely agree that we need more UCI events.

And conversely, more local level grassroots events.
yes a required purse is part of it but really just a small hurdle, it is the logistics, commissaires, technical guides etc etc etc that are the real work, there is certainly a large chunk of work to be done ahead of the event and also there are many more requirements at the event. from press rooms and doping centers, to regulated safety bags on trees and accurately sized spill zones

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Don't have time to click on that many links. How about the initial requirements. I remember something about an event having to have been in existence for a certain length of time and a certain minimum ridership per and being designated as a local or state or regional championship?? Am I close here?

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Don't have time to click on that many links. How about the initial requirements. I remember something about an event having to have been in existence for a certain length of time and a certain minimum ridership per and being designated as a local or state or regional championship?? Am I close here?
There are no easy answers for your questions and that's why I posted the links. If you are serious read all the links. Then call USAC and they will guide you through the rest. No matter what it is no walk in the park and you'd better have a pretty big support crew.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
Its not qutie as daunting as it seems for a seasoned promoter but its certainly something where you would have at least hosted a State level series or championships.
A lot of the support is mandatory and provided by the UCI and your countries cycling association (results secretary, commissaires, technical delegate, start and finish marshalls etc) Again its going to be about $5500 in prize money if you do XC and DH, or about $2000 if you do just DH. A Classe 2 UCI DH race will give 30 points to the winner and gives points down to 10th spot. So thats a pretty nice grab of points for someone who is looking to get the 20 mandatory points to do a world cup for instance.

Yes officially the timeline has passed for 2011 events, however late submissions are considered, especially if it is for an event that is needed on the calenders (and believe me the UCI, USA cycling and Canadian Cycling all want more UCI DH races in North America)

I'll keep you up to date on how our bid goes for the East Coast Open getting Classe 2 Designation for 2011.

link to this years event report if you're interested:

Last edited: