Quantcast

Does seat/seatpost strength matter?

bronze09

Chimp
Jun 22, 2007
I am currently running a race face diabolus seatpost and a generic normal seat - I was thinking about getting a carbon post and low-profile road saddle for my bike.

Obviously, this setup would be weaker then my current one, but do you think there is a real risk of breaking the seat or seatpost? Anyone have any problems with this type of setup? Thanks.

Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
A good carbon post is plenty strong enough, however, they do not last as long because carbon performs poorly in impact collisions. When they break, they break all of the sudden. Honestly, i would just go with a thompson, they are very light and last forever. In terms of a seat, low profile seats are great and are what i run, just don't cheap out and get one with low quality rails because they will bend.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I belive seat and post strength matter in DH just like any other discipline of cycling. Weather or not carbon is strong enough for DH or not is a whole other discussion. Bottom line is you dont want to lose a seat during a race, could make for a dangerous situation. Mostly in DH as many have already said, its about impacts for DH.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I got 16 stitches in my nutsack that proved that it does matter. Sometimes you get loose and ragged and just can't help but hitting your seat.

That said, I run a Thomson and Fit ECCD seat. Super light, super strong.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Side issue:
I have a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost that has not gone on the build yet (waiting for more parts).
As these posts are thinner than the Elites, are they still safe to clamp into the bike stand?
Who here has one?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Side issue:
I have a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost that has not gone on the build yet (waiting for more parts).
As these posts are thinner than the Elites, are they still safe to clamp into the bike stand?
Who here has one?
don't overdo the amount of pressure on the clamp and you'll be fine. generally you only need to worry about clamping carbon posts.

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
Side issue:
Who here has one?

i wouldnt worry about it, despite those seatpost being lighter than a lot of carbons, they are significantly stronger! I wish i had the dough to buy one myself....

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yep, with the US$ being as it is, it cost me less than an Elite model over here.
Yay USA!

Cheers for your replies guys.