Quantcast

Does seeing people with cotton shirts on under jerseys drive you crazy?

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I was just fliping through some pic's and noticed some people who had on cotton T's under their jerseys. This makes absolutely no sense. The only thing I can figure is that they are just wearing the jersey to look cool. For some reason it's just a bit annoying to see. Anyone else ever see someon do this?

EDIT: To clarify, I'm talking XC riders.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I do it. The T shirt soaks up sweat better than a jersey does. Plus my jersey is kind of itchy.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea but what he is trying to say is that cotton doesnt make sense under a sweat wicking material. It defeats the purpose of wearing the jersey. I would wear an under layer such as Under Armour or Nike Dri Fit, something like that.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
bballe336 said:
I do it. The T shirt soaks up sweat better than a jersey does. Plus my jersey is kind of itchy.
then why wear the jersey?

Also, while cotton does soak better, it doesn't wick anywhere near as well.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
bballe336 said:
There is no point in doing that. Cotton does not breathe, and it soaks up the sweat WITHOUT wicking it away. Cotton is the worse possible material to wear for technical type applications. If your Jersey itches, you need to find a more comfortable one. All of mine feel great and keep me as cool and dry as possible. What would be your reasoning behind wearing a jersey on top of the shirt? It's not doing anything for you at that point. Do you just like to sport the cool logo's you have on yours or something?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
How do you know they were cotton? Alot of wicking undershirts now. I even bought one from Old Navy.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Cotton looks like cotton. Half of my wardrobe consist of technical clothing, you can tell just by looking at the fabric.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Kevin said:
And whats wrong with that?
I think 90% of the people who wear jerseys wear m cause they look cool.
I really dont see the problem.
c´mon, everybody knows biking isnt biking if you dont dress up!

without the costume, where is the fun?

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Kevin said:
And whats wrong with that?
I think 90% of the people who wear jerseys wear m cause they look cool.
I really dont see the problem.
That percentage must just be among FR/DH'ers. Certainly the complete opposite in XC or any other type of typical trail riding where you aren't being carted up the hills by a machine.

I guess if you like sporting logo's for people who don't pay you, that's cool. If your getting paid, then that is a bit more logical.

I'm wondering more about people riding XC. It's not a fashion show, it's mountain biking! Jereseys are for helping performance through breathable moisture wicking materials. Why wear one if you are not wearing it for that purpose? Makes absolutely no sense.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Hm I can see your point if it comes to XC, but I think a lot of people are ignorant and just wear a cotton Tshirt because they dont know better.
Or maybee their under shirt is in the laundry.

That said i allways wear some kind of under shirt or whatever when Im riding downhill. It really does make a difference.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
ALEXIS_DH said:
c´mon, everybody knows biking isnt biking if you dont dress up!

without the costume, where is the fun?
I dont care what people wear. Right now Im riding in a hoodie or a cotton Tshirt from one of my sponsors because they dont have my new jersey yet.
But I think in DH/FR the whole dressing up/looking cool, is part of the game and the whole DH/FR scene for sure.
The XC scene doesnt seem to give a damn how they look when I look at some of those guys dressed up in fluor spandex :rofl:

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Kevin said:
The XC scene doesnt seem to give a damn how they look when I look at some of those guys dressed up in fluor spandex :rofl:
Exactly, it's all about performance, and that is what I'm getting at. I should have been more specific in the original post.

EDIT: I did ditch the lycra once I found some baggies that fit and performed just as well! haha

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
mtnbrider said:
Some people wear jerseys (more) to protect their arms from sticks in bushes and stuff, rather than to wick sweat.
A cottonshirt will protect you more than an XC jersey will. So again, what is the point of having it on?

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
mtnbrider said:
^ I was thinking DH/moto jersey.
Ah, okay, again, my fault. I should have directed it more in the XC direction in the original post.

DH/Moto I can understand

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I wear a t-shirt underneath my DH armor, that I have a dh jersey on top of. The fabric on the armor is some sort of mesh and bothers my skin if I don't have something underneath it for the most part.

For road riding half the time it almost feels like a jersey is too hot. :p ;) That would be retarded to have anything cotton on underneath a jersey when you're on the road bike.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I only ride in tshirts if I ever ride lately.

I can't stand jerseys. I have a Spooky jersey that I have never worn.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Aside from fat chicks wearing size 4 mini skirts, I don't let what other people wear bother me. I've been known to ride in workshirts, T-shirts, jerseys, shirtless, chicken costumes, ect. while road/XC riding

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
mud'n'sweat one question for you, do you ride in 80+% humidity?

Around my area of riding Cotton rules, but when I get to ride in really low humidity I do like the synthetic stuff.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
why does it "drive you crazy"?

It 'bothers' me when I see people hiking in cotton, cuz around here, you really need to be prepared in the off chance that you spend the night in the mountains -- get lost, twisted ankle, whatever. Wet cotton can kill a person who's inactive overnight in 50*F. So it's dumb to hike a 14er in cotton.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Maybe they wouldn't rock the jersey at all if they made t-shirts with pockets in the back. I haven't ever worn an xc jersey. I have a few moto's that I wear over armor, and one Azonic short sleve that I have worn a few times, but that's about it.

What makes me ill was all the 400# dudes rockin' the moose knuckle in bike shorts at todays bridge pedal. Some people should just hold off on the spandex because I doubt it helps that much.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Dvo1 said:
mud'n'sweat one question for you, do you ride in 80+% humidity?
Yes, I do. Which is why I can't wear cotton in the summer at all.

This thread is getting way off track. It wasn't about wearing cotton in general, it was about why wear cotton with a jersey over top?

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
In hot weather, I go bare chested. In average heat I wear my jerseys. In cold weather, I put a long sleave cotton shirt under my jersey. And yes, ONLY to look cool. No other reason to wear a jersey in my opinion considering you can wear a tank top or no shirt.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Chunky Munkey said:
No other reason to wear a jersey in my opinion considering you can wear a tank top or no shirt.
Unless you don't like falling on your bare skin and want something that won't suffocate you to death.