Quantcast

Does the Covert ride like a mini TR450? (short TR450 review included)

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I'm wondering if the Covert would ride like the trail bike version of the TR450?

I'm wondering this because after 2 rides on my TR450 I'm completely loving it. I'm amazed at how well it pedals. Feels like a huge improvement over the '08 Glory DH that it's replacing. It's super plush but at the same time seems to have endless travel. I'm also loving the extremely stiff rear end.

I'm going to need a new trail bike for next season and looking at the Covert, it looks like it could possibly share most of the traits I like about the 450, at least on paper.

And a picture to keep everyone happy...

amnonis

Chimp
Feb 20, 2009
it pedals very well but has an XC feeling even for a 6" bike. the bottle-rocket will give you much more DH feeling.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
it pedals very well but has an XC feeling even for a 6" bike.
I own a V2 Covert and a TR450, and I disagree with the above statement. The Covert is a slack and meaty 6" bike.

The Covert doesn't feel just like a mini TR450, but you can tell they were bred from the same parents. If the goal is literally a mini TR450, that's what the TR250 is for (or Bottlerocket, as mentioned above), but if you're looking for a trail bike that feels natural after riding the 450, the Covert does fit that description.

Let me know if you want more real world info.

Last edited:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
but if you're looking for a trail bike that feels natural after riding the 450, the Covert does fit that description.

Let me know if you want more real world info.
Bingo, that's my goal. Any real world info you have, I'd be happy to hear.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Similar to the 450, the Covert has a balanced feel front to rear (feels like I can drift both tires easier than some other bikes I have ridden), the rear suspension is a little bit progressive, you can get a low front end if you want, frame stiffness is also good. And of course, you know Transition will stand behind it if there's ever an issue.

Probably the biggest difference riding wise is over square edge hits. Maybe it's just placebo because I over-think things, or trying to compare a trail bike to a DH sled, but the Covert has a lower pivot point, which theoretically (and I seem to notice it slightly) makes it not as smooth on square edge hits. It also pedals best in the small ring- I run a Hammerschmidt though, so nothing to worry about there.

The two things I would change if I redesigned the Covert would be to put a 12x135 or 12x142 rear axle option, and try to fit a longer stroke shock (2" stroke for 6" of wheel travel currently).

Mine has the stock RP23, which is ok, but performance wise, it's the one thing that feels lacking after riding the 450. I may either replace it with a coil shock or send the RP23 to Push.

Last edited:

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Similar to the 450, the Covert has a balanced feel front to rear (feels like I can drift both tires easier than some other bikes I have ridden), the rear suspension is a little bit progressive, you can get a low front end if you want, frame stiffness is also good. And of course, you know Transition will stand behind it if there's ever an issue.

Probably the biggest difference riding wise is over square edge hits. Maybe it's just placebo because I over-think things, or trying to compare a trail bike to a DH sled, but the Covert has a lower pivot point, which theoretically (and I seem to notice it slightly) makes it not as smooth on square edge hits. It also pedals best in the small ring- I run a Hammerschmidt though, so nothing to worry about there.

The two things I would change if I redesigned the Covert would be to put a 12x135 or 12x142 rear axle option, and try to fit a longer stroke shock (2" stroke for 6" of wheel travel currently).

Mine has the stock RP23, which is ok, but performance wise, it's the one thing that feels lacking after riding the 450. I may either replace it with a coil shock or send the RP23 to Push.
If you get the Covert make sure the RP23 has the L/III comp tune and 200lb boost valve settings, as the stock tune they were sending (M comp tune 175 boost valve) for the Covert sucked imo (proper sag and the suspension felt like mush/bottomed harshly). Fox however charges $150 for the retune so I sent mine to Push for the Factory Tune w/ bottoming system. Just got the shock back today, so tomorrow I'll find out if I made the right decision after a proper thrashing.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
If you get the Covert make sure the RP23 has the L/III comp tune and 200lb boost valve settings, as the stock tune they were sending (M comp tune 175 boost valve) for the Covert sucked imo (proper sag and the suspension felt like mush/bottomed harshly). Fox however charges $150 for the retune so I sent mine to Push for the Factory Tune w/ bottoming system. Just got the shock back today, so tomorrow I'll find out if I made the right decision after a proper thrashing.
Current frames are shipping with a revised RP23 tune including higher boost valve pressure and adjusted compression shimming. Just FYI...

And to echo the previous comments... no it does not ride like a "mini TR450" that is the roll of the TR250. The Covert is a super fun and very confident handling trail bike, but hardly a "mini DH bike". Depends on what you are looking for.