Quantcast

Does the fox 40 still have what it takes

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I am on a fox 40 this year again and I love it. But I a wondering with the new Boxxer being lighter and a new design; the new Ti 888 being lighter and a new design; is the 40 still in the same ball park. I think because the 40 design has been improved over the years it is still every bit as good as the other 2, But I do wonder if the 40 fork is getting long in tooth and due for a redesign.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I am on a fox 40 this year again and I love it. But I a wondering with the new Boxxer being lighter and a new design; the new Ti 888 being lighter and a new design; is the 40 still in the same ball park. I think because the 40 design has been improved over the years it is still every bit as good as the other 2, But I do wonder if the 40 fork is getting long in tooth and due for a redesign.
My philosophy is: fix what isn't broken, solve problems that don't exist.

But seriously, it works pretty well, it has the range to satisfy the current desires for suspension settings, run with it.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
98% of riders on the Fox 40 can't ride to the level of performance that fork can provide. Those that think it needs an upgrade would be better off learning how to ride faster, and not blaming it on thier equipment.

Its the truth. :)

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
Not another one of these... Someone please delete it. hahaha I'm pretty sure there is another thread with everyone's opinion on this topic.

Last edited:

FullMonty

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
An 09/10 40 is a great fork.
yeah, with the adjustable bottom-out circuit in the damper of the newer forks, you're pretty much good to go. if you're really feeling like poo 'cause you have an '08, you can just grab a new damper and bolt it in.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I just put a 2010 40 on my bike, put the green spring in, and it allready feels better then my old 888sl ,and it hasn't even been on the trail yet

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
yeah, with the adjustable bottom-out circuit in the damper of the newer forks, you're pretty much good to go. if you're really feeling like poo 'cause you have an '08, you can just grab a new damper and bolt it in.

What new adjustable bottom out circuit...

Anyway, whoever said the 40 cant compete, i think its more, most forks jsut cant compete with the 40

It has less adjustments, but the adjustments it has bloody well count, i regret having to sell my 09 40 so much, im on a 2010 Boxxer race now, and wanna go back to 40's!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Still the same stupid condom bladder design, still the same problems...I'm pretty sure my extra small rubbers are thicker than that thing.
Fork feels great, but I prefer one that doesn't literally rip itself apart.

Almost 2 years of pounding my 888 rc3, about 8-12 oil/grease changes later it still feels like new with zero additional maintenance, YAY!

Last edited:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
the 40 is still my personal favorite out there, there is just something about how fox's ride that others still cant replicate. From a practical standpoint, yes the 40 is still just as good as a boxxer or 888, but on paper sure the boxxer and 888 have an edge, its just what comes with hype and new products. it seems every year marz updates the 888 and everyone gets so excieted about it, then by the years end, everyone is disapointed. the 40 is tried and trued and is still the benchmark for dh forks imo

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
the 40 is still my personal favorite out there, there is just something about how fox's ride that others still cant replicate. From a practical standpoint, yes the 40 is still just as good as a boxxer or 888, but on paper sure the boxxer and 888 have an edge, its just what comes with hype and new products. it seems every year marz updates the 888 and everyone gets so excieted about it, then by the years end, everyone is disapointed. the 40 is tried and trued and is still the benchmark for dh forks imo
:thumb:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
It has less adjustments, but the adjustments it has bloody well count, i regret having to sell my 09 40 so much, im on a 2010 Boxxer race now, and wanna go back to 40's!
What adjustments do the new 888 and Boxxer have over the 40???? The 40 has hi and lo comp, rebound, preload, bottom out and adjustable travel........must just be hi speed rebound????