Quantcast

Does the WEather put you in a certain Music Mood??

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well this morning is cloudy and grey and green outside so it put me in the mood for some celtic music.

Started out earlier with a little bit of Altan's Island Angel CD -
, and now I've decided to rock it out a bit with some Seven Nations Thanks for Waiting CD -
. Following that I think it'll be a little old school Horslips, The Book of Invasions, A Celtic Symphony -
( I wonder if Narlus knows who they are?).

How about you guys and gals - does weather ever put you in a certain mood for a certain type of music?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
johnbryanpeters said:
I have gotten to the point at which classical music bores me to tears, with a few exceptions (Bach, Kronos Quartet...). Limited repertoire, endless performances of the same pieces with a few tweaks.
if you're talking about the radio i have some sympathy. otherwise, here are some suggestions to aid you in sucking it up like a good princess:

anything with martha argerich or glenn gould
bartok concerto for orchestra
bernstein chichester psalms
dvorak 8
enescu 3
holst the planets
debussy nocturnes, and la mer as well
mahler 1, 2, 5, 7, 9, 10
mozart requiem
mussorgsky pictures at an exhibition
prokofiev alexander nevsky, lt. kije, piano concerto no 3 (see martha argerich, above)
rach 1, 2, 3
ravel quartet in F, other quartets, piano concerto in g
schoenberg pierrot lunaire and later serial music if not weirded out
shostakovich 5, 10
sibelius 5, 6
strauss vier letzte lieder, alpine symphone
tchaik 4, 5, 6
gabrielli and other old, antiphonal music
wagner, take your pick

:nopity:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
hell yeah, limited repertoire isnt something classical music suffers from..
although am more of a romantic period kinda guy.
anything liszt, the scriabin etudes, the chopin etudes, preludes and scherzos, the horowitz variations, particularly bizet´s carmen. richter is another guy i like.

for the rach 3, the best recording i´ve heard, is the horowitz-ormandy.

for some reason i dont regard martha argerich as high as the norm. there is something with her touch, her color, i dont know, that am not too fond of i guess. although she plays mean chopin scherzos, the best ones there are.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Not so much individual days but seasons definitely affect my music, which are ultimately tied to the weather. This summer I've listened to a lot of punk and rock. When fall brings on winter I'm sure things will switch to Tom Waits and more somber stuff as always is the case.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
ALEXIS_DH said:
for some reason i dont regard martha argerich as high as the norm. there is something with her touch, her color, i dont know, that am not too fond of i guess. although she plays mean chopin scherzos, the best ones there are.
argerich makes even mediocre pieces exciting... i for one will choose vitality over sterility any day (not too hard to pick when put in those terms, eh?).

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
lack of lithium puts me on certain music moods.
horowitzean listzt and scriabin. its a watermark. :rofl:
ha! i´ve been listening to horowitz playing scriabin and liszt all day.

7 years later, i still have a penchant for repeatedly listening to scriabin (played by horowitz, of course), when am off the lithium for a while....