Quantcast

Does this bike look to slack to you for an aggressive trail bike?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut

Whattya think? Imagine riding it in this mode but then cranking down the ECC for climbs. Now imagine the frame is black- the bike has two chainrings up front instead of one and a guide, and it has a red 2003 Z1 SL up front instead of a 2004 Z1 FR.

I welcome your feedback

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I don't think so. The front end might be a bit tall for serious climbing... but assuming ECC is Marz's version of travel adjustment, then it would probably be OK. I would doubt that it's significantly different than my 575 when the TALAS is in full travel mode... and I rode that just fine for a year. I still ride it just fine, but now I use the travel adjustment. For me, the geometry is dead on... stable at speed, nimble/responsive enough... good all-purpose geometry.

I think that bike would be fine - great with travel adjustment.

Just out of curiosity... how is the bike standing? Doesn't look like anything is holding it up.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Lennox said:
whats holding up that bike :confused: :stupid:

and whats in the top right corner :eek:
I didn't see the hand in the top right corner. I wonder if someone was holding the bike up, then took their hand off for a slip second when the pic was taken.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Lennox said:

ok im done

oh ya... the bike is .... ok
My guess is that is the owner's hand in the top right corner - I read on mtbr.com where the pic was taken super quickly. The owner released his hand from the bike, the photographer to the shot and the owner grabbed the bike before it fell over.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Looks like a fun all around bike. I'd probably put at least a 90mm stem to stretch that cockpit out a little, but other then that looks very sweet.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Looks like a fun all around bike. I'd probably put at least a 90mm stem to stretch that cockpit out a little, but other then that looks very sweet.
I have a 70mm Thomson and a 90mm Thomson for my Hollowpoint.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Lennox said:

ok im done

oh ya... the bike is .... ok
That's the magic monkey paw that you shake at bikes in order to make them stand on their on. You don't have one?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I have an HP set up very similarly: Pike/5th Air, DRS guide, 90mm stem, FR wheelset and it rips for trail riding. With anything shorter than a 140mm fork it would be too steep for my preferences.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
dan-o said:
I have an HP set up very similarly: Pike/5th Air, DRS guide, 90mm stem, FR wheelset and it rips for trail riding. With anything shorter than a 140mm fork it would be too steep for my preferences.

Do you have any photos of your bike with the Pike up front? If so, post them up or email them to me at mmcg25@gmail.com

Thanks!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
golgiaparatus said:
Looks good to me. If its too slack for you then get a fork that can be set at 100mm or something, that should fix that, then you can have the best of both worlds.
My thinking was that with the ECC in the "lockout" mode that the fork would climb well for those extended climb type situations.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MMcG said:
My thinking was that with the ECC in the "lockout" mode that the fork would climb well for those extended climb type situations.
If ECC is just a lockout, then it'll be OK. But I highly recommend you look for somethign with travel adjustment if possible (I sound like I'm beating a dead horse... TA is all I've been talking about lately).

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jacksonpt said:
If ECC is just a lockout, then it'll be OK. But I highly recommend you look for somethign with travel adjustment if possible (I sound like I'm beating a dead horse... TA is all I've been talking about lately).
The ECC in the full setting drops the travel of the fork down to about 2 to 2.5" of travel (with very little to no rebound) so in a sense it is travel adjustment and a "quasi lockout" if you will.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
MMcG said:
Have you registered yet Rip? You going solo? Got a helper?
Going to be doing the 8 hour solo, so I can have an idea of what an endurance race is like then focus on the 24 hour solo for 2006. But will be there for it. It was either get a lighter bike and focus on the 8 hour which I can afford, or go for the 24 hour race and not have enough for much at all.