Quantcast

Does this Bother anyone else?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

Someone finally won a Norba STXC race on a road bike... Go Decker! When is this going to stop? I'm glad i made the switch to DH before XC got this bad.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
I like short track because its a lot like road crits. It kicks my ass every time. The Sonoma ST"XC" course was plain out retarded. How did that get the OK from NORBA?

"...the short track course was run through the raceway's parking lot, with over 80-percent of the track paved. The course had only two 100-meter "off-road" sections, at opposite ends of the circuit on gravel roads, one offering up a minor climb and descent." - velonews.com

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Originally posted by rockracing
crikey, thats not even a CX bike, I read somewhere that Travis Brown was using CX wheels on his bike for the STXC events, maybe that should have rethought the rule change re. wheel size.
Banning 700c wheels still wouldn't make the most recent shortrack races any less lame. I just entered the Mt snow stxc race yesterday, and I'm fully planning on racing my cx bike.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Originally posted by rockracing
crikey, thats not even a CX bike, I read somewhere that Travis Brown was using CX wheels on his bike for the STXC events, maybe that should have rethought the rule change re. wheel size.
At Sea Otter, Travis was running carbon Bontrager cross toobulars on his Fuel....

Yeah, 700c FS. Must be under contract to ride the Fuel whenever possible....

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I raced the Cactus Cup at Whistler a couple times. It had a dirt crit which was effectively a short track XC before they had such a thing. But that particular course went up the ski run for about 5 minutes and then across the hill for a good 10 seconds before heading back down fast with just a short steep technical section with a couple hard turns in the woods. A road or cross bike would not have worked very well at all.

It was a good course and really hard and fast but short. I liked it. It would have been fun to watch too as riders were going all out due to the steepness of the climb and short duration of the event.

Personnaly I think riders ought to be able to raide anything they like. The course should dictate what works best though. If ashort track XC can be won on a cross or road bike, the course is lame. 80% paved is weak really weak. There should be rules about that. I'm surprised they could get away with that.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
ohhhhhhhhhhhh man!!! ok so like i can't figure out what's weaker....the fact that he won on a road bike............or...........the fact that he was BARELY able to out sprint those guys while he was on a road bike

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by oldfart

Personnaly I think riders ought to be able to raide anything they like.
We have had this debate many times. Sure racers should be able to ride what they want. But we are talking about a pro event here - an event that is supposed to have some sort of spectator appeal. Its just about the most boring event in the World - what good is it as a professional sport? What good is it to the sponsors?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I thought about racing a mt. bike a few times XC and DH. I really don't know what came over me..... I'm glad i came to my senses.:p

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
Its just about the most boring event in the World - what good is it as a professional sport? What good is it to the sponsors?
None?

I think they should be able to ride whatever bike they want, but if you call it XC, a road bike should not even be able to survive it IMO, it should fall apart in the rock garden assuming it made it up the rooty climb. Then again, this is NORBA after all. :rolleyes: