Quantcast

Does this mean "it's on"? Mr. Rove doesn't show

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
All they have to is wait until Bush is OOO to actually convict him of anything and he can't be pardoned...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I propose a new law - NO presidential pardons between election day and the end of the term for an outgoing president. Pardon anybody you want up till Election day, but I'm sure that your party would suffer if you did the usual "pardon a bunch of criminals who either did your dirty work or handed you suitcases full of cash".

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
How about no presidential pardons at all.

It's an outdated law, and in the present age only serves to let political cronies and donors with sacks of money off the hook. They just aren't needed.
It's an executive privilege that extends to governors as well, and given issues with capital punishment in the US, I'm not inclined to take it away from them... and the president needs to be able to pardon "over" a governor if necessary.

It's also unrealistic to think we can get rid of it entirely, but Dante's idea could actually make it to the floor...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
It's an executive privilege that extends to governors as well, and given issues with capital punishment in the US, I'm not inclined to take it away from them... and the president needs to be able to pardon "over" a governor if necessary.
When's the last time a presidental pardon was given in a death sentence case?

Easy solution...limit pardon power to the death sentence in capital cases. I'd be ok with that.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
it wouldn't pass without a TON of support, it's the whole "amending the constitution" deal...
I know. It's just a pipe dream. Politicians aren't going to push it, because it limits their power.

I was more thinking about after the revolution, when Rove is hanging off a meat hook in the Washington Mall, and Bush and Cheney are serving life sentences in the Hague...

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
I know. It's just a pipe dream. Politicians aren't going to push it, because it limits their power.

I was more thinking about after the revolution, when Rove is hanging off a meat hook in the Washington Mall, and Bush and Cheney are serving life sentences in the Hague...
Meat hooks for them too IMO

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle

As long as "the Hague" is a euphemism for Anne Coulter's fetid vagina...