Quantcast

Does this part exist??

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
I recently aquired a used Noleen Chubby LT Dual Crown fork with the notion that it had disc brake mounts on it. And it did. However, I have no idea if anything will fit into them. They are located on the left leg (obviously), are threaded, and are 45 mm apart. Is there an adapter out there that will allow me to use any kind of disc brake on this? Or am I going to have to live with V-Brakes until I can get a new fork? Thanks.

I can get pics up if anybody wants them.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
:picsstfu:

I'm not familiar with that mounting standard, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard for a machine shop to make you an adapter if you're interested in going that route. I just looked through the BTI and QBP catologues, and got nothing.

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
I don't think it's any kind of standard. Probably an early attempt at making mounts for Discs that just never caught on. The fork itself I think is a 2001 model year. It came off of a Proflex. That's all I know. I checked it out on MTBR and the reviews kept saying it didn't even have disc brake mounts. So, I have no idea how this one came to be. If you want different angles on it let me know.

Attachments

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Never seen those before. I'm now even more confidant that you could make an adapter though.

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
What would I need to know to have an adapter made? I sort of have an idea, but I don't want the shop to make something for me and then have to turn around have them remake it. What kind of measurements do I need to get?

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
I'm looking at the manual for it now. It actually has pictures of the fork with those mounts on there. It doesn't make ANY reference at all on how they are to be used with anything. All it has is the picture of their presence. It doesn't even say anything about what kind of brakes should be used with it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What would I need to know to have an adapter made? I sort of have an idea, but I don't want the shop to make something for me and then have to turn around have them remake it. What kind of measurements do I need to get?
If you give them your fork, the specifications for the international standard brake mount, and either the specs or the actual adapter for a front IS-> PM adapter, they ought to be able to figure it out. The specs, at least for the PM standard should be avaliable online if you do a little searching.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Unless you can talk someone into doing for free it would cost you more than its worth.A couple year old fork with current mounts will be cheaper.

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
The machine shop at my school will probably do it for free if I gave them whatever dimensions and specs they needed. But I would like to know what kind of metal would be best suited for this kind of thing? Aluminum, steel?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Brake adapters are pretty much always aluminum. I can't imagine that the specific alloy is very important.

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
I can't help thinking of one problem with this though. If I send them these plans and say make an adapter, I'm still unsure that I'll have given them enough info to have them make it. How do I know which side of those mounts (nearer to the wheel or not) to put the adapter? What I'm thinking is that I need something more to determine if that when I mount a brake on there, will it come into contact with the rotor correctly? I don't know. I'm just a little confused still.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The only other thing I can think of is that you probably should show them a picture of a caliper mounted to a PM fork, so they see how that goes together, and leave the space between the two tabs open. If you give them your fork, the PM specs, and a picture, they should be all set.

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
Alright. I was planning on doing that anyway. Simply because the shop guys there probably never even heard of a disc brake on a MTB.....They don't know what they're missing:disgust1: