Quantcast

Does time exist or is there only a NOW?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Don't worry; you're making up for the rest of us in spades.

MD

biker3

Turbo Monkey
well Im only 16 and I don't know all that much about most of these subjects but Im taking an Asian studies class at my high school and this kind of thing has come up a lot. If anyone here has read the book "Inner Revolution" by Robert Thurman he pretty much effectively explains as Biggins said that time was in fact invented by the Ancient Buddists monks to give them a more reliable rotation of prayer. Eastern belief doesn't so much as focus on time in the past or the future but what is going on NOW. They seem to believe that time is irrelevant since everything is eternal yet still impermanant. This kind of thing seems really hard to explain on paper and is so ego centered. The buddhist belief of freeing yourself from ego plays a major part in this. That is one major problem I have with einstein is that much of his time and effort went to ego centered research instead of putting his mind to a practice and furthering his own karmic evolution. He had a great mind but no practice.... I thoroughly believe that any buddhist teacher or monk can answer these questions just as well as any mathmatical genius.

this could piss some people off Im ready...

There is only the past. In the split second of processing all that we hear and see, the "present" has already eclipsed the experience of "now"....

BTW, I've had many experiences of "time slowing down" before major physical, traumatic events. I credit adrenaline for that...and maybe keeping my eyes open. :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
biker3 said:
That is one major problem I have with einstein is that much of his time and effort went to ego centered research instead of putting his mind to a practice and furthering his own karmic evolution
i predict that you will join a cult within 10 years, which will then proceed to suck your finances dry. society won't miss you, bye

for those of you wishing to read a rational discussion from a physicist's perspective (vs. a bunch of religious dogma or pseudoscientific bs) the book "geons, black holes, and quantum foam" by john wheeler that i mentioned earlier in this thread has extensive discussion of time. especially interesting is the part about reversible and irreversible processes, and the recent (last 40 years) revelation that some atomic level processes, namely the degradation of a particular kind of muon, is irreversible.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Toshi said:
i predict that you will join a cult within 10 years, which will then proceed to suck your finances dry. society won't miss you, bye

for those of you wishing to read a rational discussion from a physicist's perspective (vs. a bunch of religious dogma or pseudoscientific bs) the book "geons, black holes, and quantum foam" by john wheeler that i mentioned earlier in this thread has extensive discussion of time. especially interesting is the part about reversible and irreversible processes, and the recent (last 40 years) revelation that some atomic level processes, namely the degradation of a particular kind of muon, is irreversible.
Nah no cults for me unless it involves drinking kool-aid, black nike tennis shoes, cutting my balls off and the hale bop commet!

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
BurlyShirley said:
I have flow through the air and pile into many things, but Ive never had time slow down. I always just kind of black out when that happens, only i can hear myself saying "Oooooh ***!"
so... how does it feel to live through one of the many singilarities of time and space?

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
Toshi said:
the recent (last 40 years) revelation that some atomic level processes, namely the degradation of a particular kind of muon, is irreversible.
"Like my rain coat!!"
-President Skroob

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Time?.......Just dogears on the pages of your personal existence. We just use a concept of time to get us to arrive at work simultaneously. Good luck on the rest of your hypothesies. :stosh: