Quantcast

does your dog bark?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
narlus said:
let me guess...his threshold for duration of listening to a baby cry is substantially lower...

Perhaps you could clarify because I don't know what the **** you are talking about.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
LordOpie said:
I usually let him bark twice a day for up to five minutes, but my neighbor just yelled for like 30 seconds through the fence.

I realize now I should've said something, specifically, "eh, smoke a bowl and chill." Cuz they do smoke a lot, so why the hate?
I said I wouldn't normally let my dog bark, but I have adjust that statement a bit. The other day the neighbors were having a BBQ and my wife went out to stop the dog from barking at them. She was suprised that he was barking at them at all since he's so used to people being in their yard now. When she got there he had a steak bone and was apparently barking for more. We don't give our dog any human food. If they threw it over the fence to him then it's their own fault for encouraging him to beg.

My wife almost blew a gasket. She can't stand these people because they are the opposite of us--no consideration for their neighbors. On a side note, these are the same people who used to block our driveway despite having a whole street full of empty parking spaces. Your basic run-of-the-mill inconsiderate jerks.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BeerDemon said:
Perhaps you could clarify because I don't know what the **** you are talking about.
boiled down to its base element (although i thought it was pretty self-explanatory to begin with):

your comment was that 20 minutes of a barking dog was the limit of acceptability.

is 20 minutes of a crying baby also the top end of your acceptable limit?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Lex said:
I said I wouldn't normally let my dog bark, but I have adjust that statement a bit. The other day the neighbors were having a BBQ and my wife went out to stop the dog from barking at them. She was suprised that he was barking at them at all since he's so used to people being in their yard now. When she got there he had a steak bone and was apparently barking for more. We don't give our dog any human food. If they threw it over the fence to him then it's their own fault for encouraging him to beg.

My wife almost blew a gasket. She can't stand these people because they are the opposite of us--no consideration for their neighbors. On a side note, these are the same people who used to block our driveway despite having a whole street full of empty parking spaces. Your basic run-of-the-mill inconsiderate jerks.
Do you live 2 doors down from me? Your neighbors sound exactly like mine. Right down to throwing bones over the fence and blocking the driveway. Uncanny.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
narlus said:
boiled down to its base element (although i thought it was pretty self-explanatory to begin with):

your comment was that 20 minutes of a barking dog was the limit of acceptability.

is 20 minutes of a crying baby also the top end of your acceptable limit?
I'm not sure how the two are related (especially in the context of this thread), but I'll humor you anyway. Dogs barking inside, obviously unaccpetable. Babies out in the yard crying, doesn't happen. Baby crying inside annoying? Yes... but that's what babies do. Why are we making this comparison.... I must be dull since it's "self explanatory".

20 minutes may be a long time, but I envision a scenario where I am inside cooking or watching TV, neighbors dog is out in the yard barking and I can barely hear it. Some people are just over sensitive about a bit of noise. Of course, this scenario has a lot of variables including time of day, how close neighbors homes are together, and the dog owner knowledge of whether his neighbors are dog friendly. A dog barking in my neighbors yard for 20 minutes wouldn't bother me but I understand that it would bother some. I don't let me dog bark for any significant length of time at all regardless of circumstances.

But you're a smart guy and you knew all that, so I'll just assume you posted that to be a dick.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I think if a dog lets out a couple of barks occassionally that's entirely normal, and probably won't bother anyone if they are reasonable people. By a couple of barks occassionally, I mean like, oh a squirrel, "Woof Woof," or hey throw my ball, "Woof Woof." Or if there is a darn good reason for them to be barking, like "hey there is a stranger snooping around my backyard, Grrrr!" then that's understandable. They verbalize for many the same reasons people do. Sustained barking for no reason for any length of time is not alright in my opinion, even for 5 minutes. If their doing it while your home, just imagine what their doing while your not home.

Our neighbor has a dog that is left alone way too much and bays quite a bit, and starts barking and charges the fence whenever we come outside, or our dogs come outside. He doesn't bark but for about 5 minutes, but jeesh, the dog has been there for almost 2 years now, you'd think he'd start to get used to us. It is incredibly annoying, even though it's only about 5 minutes at a time, because it's every single day, every time we walk out in our yard.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Barking at the neighbors when they are out and about is unacceptable to me, and I will tell them to be quiet or bring them inside.

Barking at treed squirrels, cats and people walking down the street or baying at the fire trucks, I'll let them go for a little bit if it doesn't seem like they are bothering any of the neighbors.

Strangers(neighbors) screaming and yelling at them(or hitting the fence with a cane), only pisses them off and causes them to bark even more, though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BeerDemon said:
I'm not sure how the two are related (especially in the context of this thread), but I'll humor you anyway. Dogs barking inside, obviously unaccpetable. Babies out in the yard crying, doesn't happen. Baby crying inside annoying? Yes... but that's what babies do. Why are we making this comparison.... I must be dull since it's "self explanatory".

20 minutes may be a long time, but I envision a scenario where I am inside cooking or watching TV, neighbors dog is out in the yard barking and I can barely hear it. Some people are just over sensitive about a bit of noise. Of course, this scenario has a lot of variables including time of day, how close neighbors homes are together, and the dog owner knowledge of whether his neighbors are dog friendly. A dog barking in my neighbors yard for 20 minutes wouldn't bother me but I understand that it would bother some. I don't let me dog bark for any significant length of time at all regardless of circumstances.

But you're a smart guy and you knew all that, so I'll just assume you posted that to be a dick.
now why would you assume i posted that to be a dick? i'm capable of far better efforts; sorry if yr skin was rubbed the wrong way.

the two are clearly related, imo - two aural annoyances. i made the assumption that the annoyance level of a bawling baby was equal to that of a yapping dog. not such a stretch in my mind; it could also relate to a blasting stereo or other such noise-related activities. if i read your post correctly, depending on the source of the noise, you claim that the amount of tolerance varies (cf. 'whether his neighbors are dog friendly'). in my mind, unwanted noise is unwanted noise, period.

i don't live in a library zone nor expect to, but 20 minutes is way over the acceptable limit, for me anyway. i'd be surprised if i'm in the minority, but it wouldn't be the last time.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
narlus said:
now why would you assume i posted that to be a dick? i'm capable of far better efforts; sorry if yr skin was rubbed the wrong way.

the two are clearly related, imo - two aural annoyances. i made the assumption that the annoyance level of a bawling baby was equal to that of a yapping dog. not such a stretch in my mind; it could also relate to a blasting stereo or other such noise-related activities. if i read your post correctly, depending on the source of the noise, you claim that the amount of tolerance varies (cf. 'whether his neighbors are dog friendly'). in my mind, unwanted noise is unwanted noise, period.

i don't live in a library zone nor expect to, but 20 minutes is way over the acceptable limit, for me anyway. i'd be surprised if i'm in the minority, but it wouldn't be the last time.
I assumed you were making a dig at me based on my previous posts in support of dogs, and maybe an occasional post about parents needing to keep their kids under control (although if I ever said anything about that it was just once). If that is not the case then I apologize.

However, like I said these are separate issues. A baby crying IN THE HOUSE is a whole new level of noise (and stress since you are fretting about the babies needs), compared to a dog barking OUTSIDE in the neighbors yard.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
LordOpie said:
I usually let him bark twice a day for up to five minutes, but my neighbor just yelled for like 30 seconds through the fence.

I realize now I should've said something, specifically, "eh, smoke a bowl and chill." Cuz they do smoke a lot, so why the hate?
guess they need higher quality herb.