Quantcast

Does your fave saddle from your mtb follow over to your road bike?

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Finding a favorite brand and model saddle that fits one's arse is a special thing. I ride trail and DH... not that the saddle on the DH is actually sat upon much...

If you have a road bike as well... and aren't too serious about your road riding.... using it to help with fitness, get saddle time on days when you don't have time to head to the trails or lifts....

Do you run the same saddle as on the mountain bike?
Or, due to the different positioning on the road rig, do you opt for a road saddle? (Less width in the mid to nose sections, etc?)

I run an old, original WTB SST Ti rail saddle on my Surly Cross Check that I use to commute to work on. But, I'm talking about a dedicated road bike.

Kind of a stupid question but curious to see what some of the answers are.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I ride similarly shaped saddles, wide and flat, but not the same. My MTB saddle is on the short side, need a much longer saddle for the multiple riding positions on the roadie.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Road, cross, XC race = same

XC, AM, DH = same

I have some of those long road/tri saddles, but never actually bothered to try them.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I don't see anything wrong with running the same saddle. Lots of them will do just fine in both.

At least you'd probably want a similar shape. I run a Fizik Arione on my road bike, It's too long for MTB, so ther I use a Fizik Tundra (and a Nisene on a bike that gets used less). Shape seems at least somewhat similar (flat, not too wide).

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Ah... the planned Chromag Moon (leather top not the DT version) just wasn't going to look right for me. Down to the LBS and snagged a Prologo Zero Pas Gel Ti 1.4 in Hard Black.... Stealth looking. Just the look that I like my builds to be. Flat saddle. Always a gamble. But, I have a WTB Silverado SLT white/Urban Camo saddle on one bike that's pretty flat. So, I guess I'll have to see how the azz is going (or not going) to like it.

Last edited:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I run a Fizik Arione on my road, cyclocross, and cross country bike. If you sit on the bike and pedal it, and you have a saddle that fits, it doesn't matter what kind of terrain is underneath the tires in my opinion. The saddle stays the same.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
An airione almost chopped my man bits off in a 'cross mishap.
The back of those things are sharp!

I'd love to use the same seat on all my bikes but I'm too poor for that. If it's narrow enough and long enough and doesn't suck it's good enough for me.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
..... Suspect.... all this seat talk goin' on..... I still want a Skeletor...
Soooooo close to pulling the trigger at the end of last summer..... But, guess that the house leaking isn't a good thing... (at least that's how my wife felt about it) and the nix got put on it for now.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
They're different for now because I didn't want to spend the extra money before, and now the one I have on my cross bike and would put on the XC bike isn't available (Specialized Phenom SL).