Quantcast

Does your road bike have an evil twin?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Yeah it's a Kingpin. I'm sure I'll want something better. I wanted to get it built on the cheap for the end of this season, next year I'll figure out a bling fork to throw on it.

Only did the driveway test so far, to check gear and brake adjustments. This weekend it will get a proper beating :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dang Purdy.

More details are demanded, no required.

My road bike does not have an evil twin, but it has about 6 evil stepsisters.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Ciaran said:
What model of Nicolai is that? Is that an M-pire? Did you buy that off of Freak?
Yes it's the M-pire, and it used to belong to Freak, but I bought it from Instigator who bought it from Freak :think:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
Yes it's the M-pire, and it used to belong to Freak, but I bought it from Instigator who bought it from Freak :think:
I bet you that everyone who owns a used bike has a bike that was once owned by someone who owned a bike that was once owned by someone who owned a bike once owned by Instogator. :think: :p

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:
Dang Purdy.

More details are demanded, no required.
Well the majority of the parts are from my AS-X. I had to buy a stem and a handlebar 'cuz the AS-X had a 1.5 headtube and a 31.8 bar. The brakes on the AS-X were shot, so I picked up some Avid mechs. The fork I got from Orven, custom tuned :D When T-blazer gets back from the show I'll see if Marz had any show specials on 05 Junior T's or something.

The shock situation is wierd. According to Nicolai, the 5th Element will work fine on there. Which is obvious since Freak ran it no problem. But according to some chick at Progressive, who could obviously only read from a piece of paper, running the 5th Element on the M-pire frame will ruin the shock :rolleyes:

For some reason it came with a 500lb 3" Romic spring, but the shock stroke is 2.8. I can't even come close to bottoming that monster spring. But of course everyone on the planet is out of 450lb 2.8" 5th Element springs. So James over at go-ride reckons a Fox spring will work. But the Fox spring he sent is the same size as a 2.25 Progressive spring. Either the Fox spring is labeled wrong, or they aren't the same.

So I'll just have to run the Romic spring on there with no preload at all until someone can tell me what I actually need. Ah the joys of building a DH bike :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Echo said:
Well the majority of the parts are from my AS-X. I had to buy a stem and a handlebar 'cuz the AS-X had a 1.5 headtube and a 31.8 bar. The brakes on the AS-X were shot, so I picked up some Avid mechs. The fork I got from Orven, custom tuned :D When T-blazer gets back from the show I'll see if Marz had any show specials on 05 Junior T's or something.

The shock situation is wierd. According to Nicolai, the 5th Element will work fine on there. Which is obvious since Freak ran it no problem. But according to some chick at Progressive, who could obviously only read from a piece of paper, running the 5th Element on the M-pire frame will ruin the shock :rolleyes:

For some reason it came with a 500lb 3" Romic spring, but the shock stroke is 2.8. I can't even come close to bottoming that monster spring. But of course everyone on the planet is out of 450lb 2.8" 5th Element springs. So James over at go-ride reckons a Fox spring will work. But the Fox spring he sent is the same size as a 2.25 Progressive spring. Either the Fox spring is labeled wrong, or they aren't the same.

So I'll just have to run the Romic spring on there with no preload at all until someone can tell me what I actually need. Ah the joys of building a DH bike :D

Holy crap that was complicated.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
fox springs will not work on the romic. only swappable with avy springs.

can i fix your old brakes?... and have them?

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Echo said:

Yeah, but did you have the Dremel out? That is when you KNOW you are putting together a DH bike.

Edit: sweet bike :thumb:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
DNA said:
Yeah, but did you have the Dremel out? That is when you KNOW you are putting together a DH bike.

Edit: sweet bike :thumb:
I had to modify the chainguide a bit. Actually I might need to modify it a little more but it's working as is... after riding it I'll see if it needs more tweaking :p

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:
nice one. i like that color.

who's in the lead for most bikes bought/sold/traded, MMcG or Instigator?
Instigator, then splat, then who knows who else in front of me.

I would say in this instance that Instigator would be the Jedi and I would be the young padawan apprentice. :D

I get a bad rap I tell ya! ;)

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
Echo, your alien bianchi green's step brother is still shiny after two years of action.. still looks mint.

Orven didn't do any mod on the E13..you shouldn't have to. Just rotate the inner plate on its right spot and bam!

We can't mod the Jubilee Vegas poster to fit properly as Oz's avatar, so he laminated it and put it on his toptube. Can you say Interbike hangover? :p