Quantcast

Dog behavior question.....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
My cattle dog is very protective of my children. Today my wife was yelling at my daughter for not cleaning up her toys yadda yadda yadda, my daughter wasn't moving quick enough so my wife started stomping and chasing her into her room. At which point my dog lunged out and sunk his teeth into my wife's leg. This is the first time ever our dog has bit someone.

Any suggestions on how to treat this situation with the dog?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sounds like the dog doesn't accept your wife as "the leader". It is amazing how dogs will respond to dominant behavior based only on tone of voice and body language. I see a lot of women interact with pets by essentially asking or pleading for them to do things. Make sure the wifey interacts with the dog with firm direct commands with a lower tone.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Sounds like the dog doesn't accept your wife as "the leader". It is amazing how dogs will respond to dominant behavior based only on tone of voice and body language. I see a lot of women interact with pets by essentially asking or pleading for them to do things. Make sure the wifey interacts with the dog with firm direct commands with a lower tone.
pretty much sums it up.
has your pooch ever done anything like this towards you when yelling at your daughter?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You need to have your wife take a training class with the dog so that she can learn how to assert and maintain alpha status with the dog.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
You need to have your wife take a training class with the dog so that she can learn how to assert and maintain alpha status with the dog.
We did take classes when we first got him. She was way better at controlling him. Thing is he's my buddy, I let him out, feed him, play with him. She now pretends he doesn't exist with all the crap that goes on with our kids.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
She now pretends he doesn't exist with all the crap that goes on with our kids.
This is the issue; she has excluded herself from his family. She needs to be a part of his life again while she asserts alpha. Maybe you should make dinner 1-2 nights/week so that she can take him for a walk or run. It would be a break for her, a nice thing for you to do, and a chance for her to work with the dog.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
your wife just really needs to assert her dominance in the "pack." if she continues to keep her distance, it will only get worse.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My pup is super gentle, not a leg hound, but has a bit of dominant personality. A buddy of mine is afraid of large dogs and I have too keep Cubby away from him. He senses the fear and feels the need to dominate my friend. Without my intervention the Cubbster will knock him over and relentlessly ass-rape him

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ive been trying to get my fiance to be more assertive and dominate with our 3 dogs. unfortunately she listens once then doesnt do what i told her to do again. two of the dogs picked up on this and continue to behave bad with her....they wouldnt think of doing that with me.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I agree with most of the previous posts. It sounds to me like your wife should take a more active role with the dog. Our cattle dog, just a year old now, listens to me without pause but will regularly ignore my wife. We did take him to obedience classes together but like you, I'm the one who walks him, feeds him, etc. I've been encouraging my wife to be more involved, she now walks him several times a week, she plays with him when we go to the park and feeds him every other meal. Things are getting better between the two of them but he is still definitely my shadow.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Double Ditto.... And funny enough I just saw that Southpark with "the dog wisperer" last night.

[/URL]

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My pup is super gentle, not a leg hound, but has a bit of dominant personality. A buddy of mine is afraid of large dogs and I have too keep Cubby away from him. He senses the fear and feels the need to dominate my friend. Without my intervention the Cubbster will knock him over and relentlessly ass-rape him
Dogs sense fear. The sissy one are always the ones that get picked on and even a submissive dog seems to instinctively tell when people are afraid of them.

The dog whisperer South Park is one of my all time favorites.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Hey, Since we are on the topic of dogs, obedience etc was wondering if you could provide any advice on Dogs and Kids (toddlers).

I've got a pretty strong mix breed (whippet, pit, boxer, who knows... what). She has a strong "prey" drive. She listens to me very well, but if a lizard, bunny, cat etc crosses her path she will lunge. She also is terrible around other dogs. Little ones are the worst. If they yap at her, she will lunge. Even bigger dogs.. I think that is more out of fear though bc she will first try to climb up me (flight?) and will be ok with them for a minute, but then at the slightest little queue, she will attack (more of a defensive or preemptive attack).

So that is the background... now the question. I have a 1yr old kid. So far things have been pretty good (and getting better). She isn't "protective" of him but they do get along pretty well. I have always taken them BOTH out for walks so she thinks he is part of the pack. I don't let her "lead" either. Always beside or slightly behind him (in the stroller of course). Around the house, when he gets "too close" she will first try to lick him away. Every once in a while though, if cornered, and he is trying to get on top of her or something she will give a little growl or nip. It is getting better (at first just grabbing her paw would elicit a resp... now it has to be much more invasive). She will also usually go "belly-up" when he comes towards her though (submission I assume).

ok, sorry... NOW the question. For unfortunate reasons, we (the dog and I) will only see him every other week now. I'm afraid that NOT seeing him for a week will hinder or regress some of the progress we have made. Also, my son has just started to walk, so he can get around a lot better/faster. Any advice on simple things I can do?

I know that when she was a pup one of the "dominance" things I had to do was to hold the dog down motionless until she would stop struggling and "submit". Should I do that to her WITH my son? So lay down on her and put my son on top as well? Sorta show her that #1 - He is above her in pack "order" and #2 that even when he is "on her", she isn't going to get hurt?

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
from the limited personality description of your mutt, i wouldnt lay your kid down on top of her to exert dominance. keep up with your assertiveness when you are with your kid and the dog is present to show that YOU are the dominate one.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I bet MMike has had his dog's teeth sunk into his leg for the same reason, because Mrs. MMike wears the pants in that relationship.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
from the limited personality description of your mutt, i wouldnt lay your kid down on top of her to exert dominance. keep up with your assertiveness when you are with your kid and the dog is present to show that YOU are the dominate one.
I'm not saying that I will lay him down on her "alone". I would be on there keeping her from doing anything and then let him kind of "play" on her etc. So NO chance of him getting hurt here. Just to show the dog that if he gets all up in her grill she isn't going to get hurt or anything. So with this clarification, are you still of the same opinion? I do value it, just wanted to make sure that I was conveying the strategy adequately.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Whoa, you have a rare magical beast that will bite a woman when she nags?
That dog is worth millions.
You could sell that dog on ebay and then take your family to Monte Carlo.
Then you would not have to go there with your gay benefactor.
Win win.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Hey all. After I had my son, my poocharoo took a back burner too until recently. She acted out by going to the bathroom in the house, barking excessively, and sulking. Poor baby. I read Merle's Door a couple months ago, and gave me an entirely new appreciation of my dear girl. I reccomend having the wife read it, it talks about the history of dogs and ways of working with them that really make it difference. Also read it for working with the little one, just for a more complete understanding of where the pooch is coming from. My shy girl turned back into the loving obedient pup I once had, only with a couple years more maturity under her belt! Our other mutt who never listened now listens! We simply work with them, work on displaying affection towards them and rewarding them with small treats for even the smallest accomplishment frequently.

Read the book, seriously! Good luck!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'm not saying that I will lay him down on her "alone". I would be on there keeping her from doing anything and then let him kind of "play" on her etc. So NO chance of him getting hurt here. Just to show the dog that if he gets all up in her grill she isn't going to get hurt or anything. So with this clarification, are you still of the same opinion? I do value it, just wanted to make sure that I was conveying the strategy adequately.
i cant honestly say how to help your pooch understand that your son is above him in the pack. having the dog submit to your son would be a way, but im sure some people would be against this. obviously you know the mutt and your kid better then anyone and if that technique worked for you in the past, and you are sure he wont get hurt, then try it.
my 3 dogs all have completely different personalities and each was different in conveying that im the leader of this pack.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
i cant honestly say how to help your pooch understand that your son is above him in the pack. having the dog submit to your son would be a way, but im sure some people would be against this. obviously you know the mutt and your kid better then anyone and if that technique worked for you in the past, and you are sure he wont get hurt, then try it.
my 3 dogs all have completely different personalities and each was different in conveying that im the leader of this pack.
Oh, the OTHER thing I'm doing is having the kid FEED the dog treats whenever possible. The whole "don't bite the hand that feeds you" thing. It is cute bc the dog is very gentle when taking the treats. Even when the kid doesn't let go right away. The dig will sort of nibble around my kids fat little fingers.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Ok.... one last question. I've read some books and each one said the EXACT opposite.

My dog hates to let go of toys and loves "tug-of war". I'm afraid she might try that with the kid some time, or go for a toy he has...

SO, one book said to NEVER play this game with your dog bc it teaches them that it is OK and also, if you do, NEVER let the dog win (they will feel dominant).

The other book said you should do this (if your dog likes it) EVERY day for at least 10-15 min to get it out of their system and that you should ALWAYS let the dog win. Let them start with the toy, let them win...let them walk away with the toy. Oh, and with only ONE toy, the same one every time.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Simple solution..... a .38 .....I know that is not the answer you want to hear, but at this point it IS something that must be considered.<ok not really kill the dog, but possibly find a new home>.

As the dominate male, not only do you need your wife to be the alpha female, but YOU as the alpha male need to also teach the dog the pecking order as well. Essentially you needed to make the dog submit instantly after this happened, showing the dog that the wife is higher in the pecking order

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I've never had a problem with dogs playing tug-of-war. Most dogs love it. And how the hell do you win every time? My dog is f'n strong. Sometimes I couldn't take it away if I wanted to, but my dogs have always known it's a game. They can tell the difference between when I'm playing with them and when I'm serious. I would think a bigger test is with food. Some dogs can be overly territorial with food and you have to drill it into them that you can take their food/toy/whatever without resistance if you are serious about it. One of the things I teach my dogs is to 'drop' whatever they have in their mouth. So they will play tug but if you tell them to drop it, they will. My current GSD is a lover, not a fighter though. He has no interest in playing and just wants to follow me around.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I've never had a problem with dogs playing tug-of-war. Most dogs love it. And how the hell do you win every time? My dog is f'n strong. Sometimes I couldn't take it away if I wanted to, but my dogs have always known it's a game. They can tell the difference between when I'm playing with them and when I'm serious. I would think a bigger test is with food. Some dogs can be overly territorial with food and you have to drill it into them that you can take their food/toy/whatever without resistance if you are serious about it. One of the things I teach my dogs is to 'drop' whatever they have in their mouth. So they will play tug but if you tell them to drop it, they will. My current GSD is a lover, not a fighter though. He has no interest in playing and just wants to follow me around.

That right there is the first and foremost thing to ever teach a dog, teachs them who the real boss is at the very most basic of principals. That is the one thing that is the strongest basis for all training, train the dog that any people ask this of them... do it.