Quantcast

Dog behavior question.....

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Personally, I would lose the dog. That is if there was any dog to lose after I removed it from my wifes leg and then threw it into a wood chipper.

Seriously though, I would lose the dog. If it bit once, it will bite again.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'll have to try that with our dog. The only problem is that she isn't really a "food hound". I could put her food down and she might not eat it for a few hours... some times it sits there till the next meal!!

Though I think I have heard her growl under her breath a little if the kid tries to get in there WHILE she is eating. Might be something I can work on to help things in general.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Something I've learned recently with our rescue Aussie shepherd. Since he's the biggest dog we have (damn Bichons, Jap Chins, and Cavalier King Chas Spaniel), he started to take the lead. I read that if you "tackle" him, forcing him on his back and telling him "no", he learns who's alpha. Did it twice, and he now knows his place with the others. Maybe if wife did the same? Worth a try at least.......

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I read that if you "tackle" him, forcing him on his back and telling him "no", he learns who's alpha. Did it twice, and he now knows his place with the others. Maybe if wife did the same? Worth a try at least.......
i guess making your dog afraid of you shows youre the alpha

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I'll have to try that with our dog. The only problem is that she isn't really a "food hound". I could put her food down and she might not eat it for a few hours... some times it sits there till the next meal!!

Though I think I have heard her growl under her breath a little if the kid tries to get in there WHILE she is eating. Might be something I can work on to help things in general.
There is problem number two....... Your overfeeding.

The instant your dog makes a growl while eating.... take the food away.... and correct the dog

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I guess...

Fear != Respect
YOu cannot think of it like that, although that is the primal basis of it.

You want the dog to know that you CAN kill him if needed, but that you are restraining yourself with ease.

Like a fathers love of a son, the son knows Dad can crush him at any time, but he doesnt. Show strength, while showing love.

Another tactic you can do if you dont like the tackle and turn over method, is to litterally grab the dogs lower jaw, with your hand in the mouth, wrap your fingers below the mouth, grab firmly but not forcefully. You have to be quick with it, the dog will try to pull away, hold on just firmly enough to keep the dog from pulling away, turn the dogs head sideways untill the dog lays down.... Hold for a few and release.

Wont hurt the dog, but shows you have the stremgth and dominance over the dog

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Another tactic you can do if you dont like the tackle and turn over method, is to litterally grab the dogs lower jaw, with your hand in the mouth, wrap your fingers below the mouth, grab firmly but not forcefully. You have to be quick with it, the dog will try to pull away, hold on just firmly enough to keep the dog from pulling away, turn the dogs head sideways untill the dog lays down.... Hold for a few and release.

im sorry but thats crazy

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Dogs and Cats

Dogs look at Man and think..." You give me food and shleter, "You" must be a god..."

Cats look at man and think..." You give me food and Shelter, "I" must be a GOD..."
The cats actually follow a few commands. One of the cats bolts from our bedroom when I say "OUT!" and point to the bedroom door. The other one comes when I call her name...I could be anywhere in the house.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
YOu cannot think of it like that, although that is the primal basis of it.

You want the dog to know that you CAN kill him if needed, but that you are restraining yourself with ease.

Like a fathers love of a son, the son knows Dad can crush him at any time, but he doesnt. Show strength, while showing love.

Sorry but I don't see either of these as being much better than the "trainers" who hang a dog from its collar until it passes out so that it learns who the master is.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Nothing a foot to the dome won't handle

:D

(ok dog lovers, step away from the reputation button)

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
There is problem number two....... Your overfeeding.

The instant your dog makes a growl while eating.... take the food away.... and correct the dog
Actually, no... I'm not. My dog just isn't into food. She is skin and bones... you can see her ribs easily and she doesn't have an ounce of fat on her... and I can easily take the food away from her.
If she sees a chip or cracker on the floor that my son drops, 75% of the time she will ignore it. I can also leave an open bag of cookies in her "room" (the den) overnight and she won't touch it. shoot, I could not feed her for two days, then leave a bag of cookies in the den overnight and she still won't touch them.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
im sorry but thats crazy
It sounds nutts, but its something you start with when they are young, going along with dont bite the hand that feds you ETC ETC.... They wont bite when something is in their mouth they dont want there, total submission tactic.

Sorry but I don't see either of these as being much better than the "trainers" who hang a dog from its collar until it passes out so that it learns who the master is.
Yeah... You dont strangle a dog to get it into submission, that creates a fearfull dog that will lash out at people other than the trainer.

I am not saying to twist the dogs head off, in fact the first couple dozen times to try this you wont get the dog to lay down, but you will be getting the dog trained to not bite even better. It will recognise human hands as something uncomfortable in its mouth, and if the dog pulls back too hard... release and command the dog to stay.

Some of the tactics needed for larger aggressive breeds look to alot of people as abuse, but its how the dogs are bred. Every dog trains differently, and different breeds require different base tactics as well.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Valid opinion...
My only comment here is that even in the wild, restriction of movement is a sign of dominance and likewise the "alpha" will make the lower pack members "submit" which is laying down on their backs, belly up.

Makign a dog "pass out" is a whole level beyond simply making your dog lay on its back. To me at least... I'm not sure PETA would really be against me on this one either.

These are DOMESTIC animals. We bred them to not be able to survive on their own. We are responsible for taking care of them and we are also responsible for making sure that they are "safe" to the general population. These dogs do still have innate instincts and "norms" that are things that humans have evolved beyond. We need to mirror these things to a degree bc that is how they are programed to learn and also to behave in groups.
:)

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I am not saying to twist the dogs head off, in fact the first couple dozen times to try this you wont get the dog to lay down, but you will be getting the dog trained to not bite even better. It will recognise human hands as something uncomfortable in its mouth, and if the dog pulls back too hard... release and command the dog to stay.

Some of the tactics needed for larger aggressive breeds look to alot of people as abuse, but its how the dogs are bred. Every dog trains differently, and different breeds require different base tactics as well.
So said Michale Vic (JOKE!!!) I actually agree with you almost 100%. And I certainly have used the "grab the jaw" technique. Even works for a "strange" dog that is being agressive towards you. Better than the "kick to the dome" that others have suggested.

The only thing I'm uncertain of is if there are innate behaviours (like tug of war) that you must let the dog EXPRESS, or is it better to suppress? Maybe, like taking them for a long run to get the energy out of their systems, you need to let the dog play these games since they are pre-programed for it anyway. Again, in this case, like others, you need to work within the guidelines of genetic proclivities bred into your dog/breed.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Oh, and back to the OP (Stosh's) question, I think it is pretty much unanimous that your wife needs to assert herself as Alpha more, show dominance, and also be more involved in the dogs day to day activities. Walks, trainings (by herself, not with you), feedings etc.

Oh, except Carian who says to get rid of the animal. That would certainly work, and he has a somewhat valid point, but I'm not sure you would entertain that idea, so if not then what was said above.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
One more vote to ditch the dog. Unless you run a junkyard, why would you keep a dangerously protective animal in your dwelling. There are thousands of great animals put down every year. Simpler, friendlier ones.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Try a ridgeback? Super protective of the family, once it has been established - which you can easily do from puppy. They don't bark, play well with kids, etc. They only bark or growl when they feel that there is a real danger (see neighbor).

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
So said Michale Vic (JOKE!!!) I actually agree with you almost 100%. And I certainly have used the "grab the jaw" technique. Even works for a "strange" dog that is being agressive towards you. Better than the "kick to the dome" that others have suggested.

The only thing I'm uncertain of is if there are innate behaviours (like tug of war) that you must let the dog EXPRESS, or is it better to suppress? Maybe, like taking them for a long run to get the energy out of their systems, you need to let the dog play these games since they are pre-programed for it anyway. Again, in this case, like others, you need to work within the guidelines of genetic proclivities bred into your dog/breed.
Let the express it, but stay in control fo it, IE when its time to stop teach them to instantly calm themselves.... really easy to do actually and a good thing.

Try a ridgeback? Super protective of the family, once it has been established - which you can easily do from puppy. They don't bark, play well with kids, etc. They only bark or growl when they feel that there is a real danger (see neighbor).

Ridgebacks are awesome dogs once they mature.... They do however take alot of time while theya re puppies to train them properly, and to keep them entertained so to speak to keep them from destroying everything...... Damn do they like to dig as pupps.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
i guess making your dog afraid of you shows youre the alpha

Fair enough. I don't feel it's making the dog afraid of me, though I understand where it looks that way. FWIW, it's not a rough tackle, more like "putting him on his side at the vet's office" move. Either way, done twice, he knows.

Or maybe it's the longer bike ride/runs I've been taking him on that's mellowed him out a bit????

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Terrible advice. I worked with a guy who would bring his ridgeback to work. The thing charged me whenever I wasn't looking. **** those dogs.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
i didnt know michael vick posted on RM :think:
aww, you're insults are cute.

I agree with a lot of what DirtyMike has posted, especially the part of putting your hand in your dogs mouth. I used the same technique with my now 80lb boxer/pit since he was a puppy. To this day I can rile him up with aggressive playing and put my hand directly in his mouth and he never clamps down. In fact he does the opposite and turns his head away. As far as my dog goes though, I could probably hit him over the head with a shovel and he'd think we were playing, but if i raise my voice it destroys his world at that moment.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have an 85 lb. Siberian Husky/Malamute mix. Best dog ever. But I took alot of advice from military working dog handlers I work with. Made sure he regarded me as Alpha dog. Always eat first, enter and exit buildings first, throw him down and choke him out as needed (I know it sounds mean...deal with it.) and always make sure I use my big boy voice with him. Never (Knock wood...) had a problem with him, and almost 11 years later I can drop him and have him roll over and show me his throat using only my voice.
As for your problem Stosh, I would make sure the Alpha status of your wife is re established by having her eat in front of dog before it eats (Starve the dog if needed...) and by having her work with the dog as exclusively as possible for awhile, up to a month in some cases.
Also ensure that any commands or instructions she gives it are followed. Even if it means she tracks dog down and corrects the behavior.
Hope she feels better...