Quantcast

Dog Friendly Trails???

Neal

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
Are there trails which are dog friendly? I certainly don't take the dog to SST - too busy. Other places seem ok.

What do non-dog owners think of trail dogs? Do dogs on trail irk you, or is it just 'whatever'?

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I only take mine where I know I won't be running in to a lot of other trail users. Local in-town and really busy places are not necessarily "dog friendly" imho. (as with SST as stated.)

But, this is an often talked about topic and very subjective. I've ridden with great dogs and dog owners and p-poor ones too and it really depends on how well behaved the dog is. I do not believe that a rider should have to worry more about the dog in their way than their own safety though and will tell an owner that is letting thier dog crowd other riders that the dogs safety comes second to mine and I will run them over if necessary.

Typically, if it's just me and a few other riders, having a dog along is not a bad thing. Bigger groups are typically cause for more concern. If your pooch is well behaved, you shouldn't have problems anywhere though. (If they do their thing in the middle of the trail, be sure to flick it into the woods though.) the best thing is to ask the others you plan on riding with first. If you are just out solo, just be sure that you do have control over your pet. That will eliviate most of the problems.

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
I take mine out all the time...as long as the dog is behaved (which I admit will take several rides untill it is used to the situation) it is not a problem at all...I have had mine at St. Eds a lot and a couple places east as well....never a problem and people dig on dogs launcing gaps :)

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I take my dog too, less crowded areas and smaller groups are definatley good

300th st
galby are good dog areas,

high speeds are hard for dogs

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
You guys are obeying the leash laws while you ride, right? What about when your dog lags behind to take a crap? You won't see it so it doesn't get picked up. The next rider through picks it up with their tire or shoe. Do everyone a favor and leave'em at home. Just my two pennys.

LIPS

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Portland
You guys are obeying the leash laws while you ride, right? What about when your dog lags behind to take a crap? You won't see it so it doesn't get picked up. The next rider through picks it up with their tire or shoe. Do everyone a favor and leave'em at home. Just my two pennys.
Yeah always a good idea to pick up dog crap and put it in a plastic bag giving it the shelf life of a twinkie. Do you run around after dear and pick up after them. Didn't think so. And for the record my dog runs a few feet off the trail to take a crap. I didnt train her to do that she just does it. Maybe she respects the other trail users! Here's your two cent's back.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Yeah always a good idea to pick up dog crap and put it in a plastic bag giving it the shelf life of a twinkie. Do you run around after dear and pick up after them. Didn't think so. And for the record my dog runs a few feet off the trail to take a crap. I didnt train her to do that she just does it. Maybe she respects the other trail users! Here's your two cent's back.
I always ride with my dog, except for Whistler (duh) and if I know this will be an intense ride as far a pace goes. My dogs always goes off the trail to crap, so like lips it is never an issue. Obviously bullitrider has cats or gerbals and has never experienced riding with a dog, making him sour. Those are my two cents, now we have six cents all together! Wow, if we could just get 114994 more cents, or 57497 more peole to give their two cents, we would be well on our way to a Fox 40rc2:bonk: :happydance: ! Ohh isn't this fun:banana: !

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Neal asked for opinions. I gave mine and I get sh*t. Whatever. :clapping:
I wasn't giving you sh!t. I was just saying the my dogs crap in the woods, not the trail, and that anyone who has ever ridden with a dog has probalby noticed the same thing. Neal asked for opinions. I gave mine and I get sh*t from you about giving you sh*t! Whats up with that:ban:

Jul 8, 2006
Kirkland
Well i personally think it's cool when dogs tag along the riders. Once at SST this guy brought his dog and the dog did the exact line the rider it. haha. It was pretty cool. Then the rider gave the dog some gatorade? Isn't that bad? haha. Anyways. I say it's ok if everyones ok with it and the dog is well behaved. My two cents

Neal

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
sst is scary for me + dog because all the bunnies down there. I'm afraid he'd try to catch a bunny and kill it.

what would be worse is if he got in the way of someone jumping and the rider tried to avoid the dog and the rider wiped out. that would be the worst.

for the most part, the dog is cool off leash as long as there's lots of room and few other riders. i made the mistake of riding up tiger with him and pissed off a few folks. my bad. sessioning a jump is kinda sketchy too.

dog pooh is definitely not cool - it's far worse than horse pooh. the dog mostly craps in the woods though - outta sight, outta mind - and mostly on the way up. not a big chance of wiping out into a dookie on the way up...

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Small group on lesser used trails. As Joel mentioned, logging road downs can be rough. (They just can't keep up with us at speed.) I can see where people would have issues at well used parks like Tiger. But, typically, where you would ride where horses are also allowed, you'll see a lot of dogs with them as well so people are "just used to it".

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I take my dog to SST as long as it isn't super crowded. He stays right on my wheel and is in voice command the whole time so it's never been an issue.

Carnation or tapeworm are probalby the best local trails for dogs. Carnation more so cause the speeds are low and the dirt is moist and soft so it won't hurt your buddy's feet.
Also, the traffic is low enough that you don't have to worry about other users.