Quantcast

dog in the snow

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
We ran into a dude on a ride once who had one of those monsterous dogs with him. The dog was super nice and we talked to the dude for a while. He said the sad thing about those huge dogs is that they generally live only about 7 years :(

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
I'll take a big beast any day over the small yippy ones.

When Atlas, my six year old Rott/Lab mix, was a puppy, I used to take him hiking every day to get him in shape for when he was all growed up and could accompany me on rides. One day, we crested a hill a a local pard as a woman, a great dane and a mastiff came loping from the opposite direction. The two huge monsters ran over to Atlas to give him the check-out while Atlas tried furiously to jump up into my arms (like he would have been safe up there).

Again, as a pup, he was in my front seat while we were driving to a friend's house. A tractor-trailer passed us on the right (with the window cracked) and it scared the snot out of him causing him to scrable into my lap.

He was such a puss as a pup, but he grew to be a fearless family defender. He doesn't like anyone without at least a half an hour to check them out. He's ok after that and remembers everyone he meets.

The only exception is for TheInedibleHulk, who he hates for some reason. I'm still sorry about that Phildo.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My dog loves snow. I throw snoballs to him, he catches them then shakes his head and growls like he is killing something sending the dead remains of the snowball flying everywhere. He keeps it up until I quit or he gets brainfreeze.

And no, snowball is not my cat.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
A guy I work with lives on a portion of his families farm and has 2 (english?) mastiffs and 2 boxers. I think he said the mastiffs (one male, one female) go 185 and 160 respectively. He also goes through something like 50 pounds of dog food every 2 weeks.

I recently tried to convince my wife that we needed a Neopolitan Mastiff that was for sale in the paper. I lost.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Next year I want to get either a Swiss Mountian Dog or a Black Russian Terrier, both are freakin expensive and hard to find, and both can get pretty close to 150 pounds. I'll probably end up getting something more reasonable, but it does have to be freaking big.

How is Atlas doing seanypoo? Has he gotten any grumpier?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The oldest large breed dog I have seen was a 12 year old great dane.

Other large dogs:

125lb wolf hybrid (nice and frightening at the same time)

150lb and 125lb malamutes (son&mother)

150lb 8 month old mastiff

190lb newfoundland (pain in the @ss to bag & put in freezer)

190lb mastiff

130lb rhodesian rideback (not fat just solid)

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
TheInedibleHulk said:
Next year I want to get either a Swiss Mountian Dog or a Black Russian Terrier, both are freakin expensive and hard to find, and both can get pretty close to 150 pounds. I'll probably end up getting something more reasonable, but it does have to be freaking big.

How is Atlas doing seanypoo? Has he gotten any grumpier?
Free dogs are the best; and in a lot of cases, you end up saving a life.

Atlas is doing OK. He's got a completely torn cruciate in his right knee and it's a $2500 operation for him. He was pretty bad for a while and has had ongoing bouts with lyme's disease that knock him pretty hard, but I'm doing the best I can to manage it. He's also got hypothyroid syndrome which I'm managing with some drugs that have literally given him new life. He's back to his old peppy self now, which is a blessing and a curse. It's great to see him so lively again, but he wants to run around like a puppy and his knee's not up for it.

Right now, Heather and I are debating whether or not we should take him to Portland with us, or give him to my parents. It's a tough choice when our future income level is uncertain.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
"He's got a completely torn cruciate in his right knee and it's a $2500 operation for him"
Buck Fever

I had the TPLO surgery done to my Lab in Sept. 6+ month recovery but she is far better now than before.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
MMcG said:
yes, large breeds generally have shorter lifespans. :(

The Dachshunds (Weiner dogs) I had as a kid lived to be 19 and 17 (the 17yr old died a month or two after his monther. Probably could have lived longer if his will to live wasn't gone.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
Greyhounds rock the house too in terms of sweetness. They're not very tough dogs though. When we have to walk our two in the snow and on salty sidewalks, their feet get too cold and they just lift a paw and stand there looking at you like, "seriously, help a brother out here." And they're too stubborn to wear booties. If it's below 35F, we have to put jackets on them or they start shivering in less than 5 minutes.

Pete doesn't like his jacket

Attachments

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
My neighbor used to have a newfie that was probably 180, with nice rich dark brown hair...appropriately named Bear. Needless to say they never had anyone wander around their lawn. Not that it mattered, he was probably one of the most gentle dogs I've ever met. That said I don't think I would want to test how far I could go before getting him annoyed lol.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Buck Fever said:
Greyhounds rock the house too in terms of sweetness. They're not very tough dogs though. When we have to walk our two in the snow and on salty sidewalks, their feet get too cold and they just lift a paw and stand there looking at you like, "seriously, help a brother out here." And they're too stubborn to wear booties. If it's below 35F, we have to put jackets on them or they start shivering in less than 5 minutes.

Pete doesn't like his jacket
I need a dog that can romp through the powder for 10 hours and love every minute of it. I love huskys and malamutes, and theyre common enough that I could probably find a rescued dog or one up for adoption. I know alot of owners get in over their heads with huskys, not realizing how much exercise they need. The only problems is they shed like crazy, and I dont really want every thing I own to have a permanent coating of husky fur. Theyre also a little hyperactive. The black russian terrier seems like the perfect colorado backcountry dog, but Ive found exactly one US breeder and I dont even want to know how much one would cost. I was thinking about Akita's too, but again they shed alot and are apparently not the easiest to train.

Anyone got any other suggestions? Looking for a large, cold weather dog that's fairly easy to train and has a good temperment. Preferably one that is cute and goofy looking so the young ladies will want to give themselves to me. :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
dh girlie said:
Is it me, or does anyone else find it odd that stevew might need to worry about bagging and putting in the freezer his 190lb. newfoundland...help me out here...
hahaha..that came out wrong. It wasn't mine. It was a an older couples dog at a vet clinic I worked at in Nashville. When it was put to sleep I had to get creative in bagging it and putting it in the freezer for the pet cemetary people to pick up.