Quantcast

Dog owners

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
back when my wife was working, they'd get left at home from about 8am to 4:30pm. We have 2 Jack Russel Terriers... they get locked in a dog crate so they don't destroy the house. One is 4, the other is almost 6.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My brothers Rhodesian Ridgeback spends all day in a crate/cage meant for a Great Dane. He actually prefers it in there when no one is there with him.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My dog (RIP) spent 7:45-4:45 every day home. He had one cat for company. This was when he was both a puppy and an adult.

FWIW, the only time we ever had even the slightest issue with this was when there would be a significant amount of meat (chicken scraps for instance) in the garbage and he'd get into it. Other than that, there were never any problem.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
I have a 1 y old lab that gets left in her crate from about from about 5:00 am to 2:00 pm we tried leaving her out but she got into everything.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Oreo

Is home from 7:15 until my folks come over around 2 to let him out, then he is often home alone again until I come back from riding or whatever around 8:00pm. I leave my doggy door closed in the am, but then my folks leave it open in the afternoon. I feel guilty about him being home alone so much, but I try to make it up to him on the weekends, by spending time at the dog park.

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
we've got several dogs but one of witch stays inside all the time (6am-4pm) but shes not bad about being indoors she doesnt destroy anything untill u get home then she turns into a crazed beast, and its all u can do to keep from being knocked over by her.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
My border collie isn't very much of a morning dog. He's quite lazy until around 11:00. I'll come home around 12:00 for a quick bite and let hime out for a potty break. If the day is nice, I'll hook him up to the zip line so he can chill outside, otherwise he'll nop on the couch until I get back around 4:45 cause he knows that generally he gets to go riding or trail building......something fun with his best human-friend. He's abnormally human-attached. He thinks he's one in fact.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
my puppy.. a 2 year old black lab named boom, used to come everywhere with me... work, the trails , shopping . when i would go to get into my jeep he would beat me to it. about 6 months ago he stopped and it seems as though he would prefer to stay home then come to work with me.. he actually knows the difference when i am going to work and when I am going to play. he is happy being home alone .. but i know he waits for me to come home too. He is good though.. I leave him loose to wander around the house and i never have problems. I work crazy schedules and he is fine.. I just have to make sure i let him out when i get home :)

did you get a new puppy??? or thinking of getting one????

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
hooples3 said:
my puppy.. a 2 year old black lab named boom
Oreo (Lab Mix) used to be cRaZy until he turned 2. Most literature seems to say that "Sporting" breeds take the longest to mature. And ~2 seems to be the end of adolescence.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I Are Baboon said:
We are considering this: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118105

Our biggest concerns are leaving a dog home alone all day, and how the dog and our two cats will coexist in the house. We don't want to make life miserable for the cats.
After an adjustment period the dogs and cats will be just fine together. More than likely they would just completely ignore each other. I normally have someone let my dogs out about every 8 hours when I am not home with no problems, but I keep them in my basement. There were some chewing issues when Cubby was a puppy though.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I Are Baboon said:
We are considering this: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118105

Our biggest concerns are leaving a dog home alone all day, and how the dog and our two cats will coexist in the house. We don't want to make life miserable for the cats.

Do it... Do it. I have a number of friends/aquaintences that have rescued GreyHounds. They are super cool, low key dogs 99% of the time.

Do you have a fenced in Yard? If so a Doggy door is the way to go!

Get them outside and off the leash and WOOOOOOOOOsssssssssshhhhhh. They are incredible. I wonder how good of a trail dog they would make though. They are fast, but I wonder how far they can run for.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
No doggy door. Our yard is not fenced in and greyhounds must be fenced in if they are to roam. Also, our two housecats would just LOVE to use the doggie door.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I Are Baboon said:

All the greyhounds I have come in contact with working at various vet clinics since 91 have enjoyed the life of a couch potato when in retirement. Have couch, will sleep.

Cool dogs.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
we leave our dog for maby 6 hours at the most, 90% of the time between the 4 of us working shift work theres someone home

and when theres nobody home she can play with my cat who wheve decided is a willing particapant to the lets chase the cat around the house game the dog invented :rolleyes:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
splat said:
Invisiable electric Fence ?

For the Cats too!

How does the invisible fence work for the cats? Our cats have been getting into trouble with the neighbor's flower gardens lately and trying to keep them in the house is a major trial of our patience!

As for the dog: She just turned 1 year old lab/sheperd mix. She's in that chew everything in sight phase so we have to crate her when we are not around. She would destroy the house if left unattended. She is fine up to 10 hours in her crate. I've never had to go longer than that. Its pretty big for her and she can stretch and move around. She usually only averages 4 hours per day and then 8 or so at night. She seems to like it. If she gets in trouble (ie raids the garbage can or one of the cats gets after her) she usually will run and lay down in it to feel safe.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I Are Baboon said:
No doggy door. Our yard is not fenced in and greyhounds must be fenced in if they are to roam. Also, our two housecats would just LOVE to use the doggie door.
Do ya really like the cats anyway? :blah: If they actually love you, they wouldnt go far :blah:

Seriously though, it would be some work, but you could fence your yard or part of it and limit/quarden off your dog from your cats during the day. Say a laundry room/garage with a doggy door.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I Are Baboon said:
Supervised I think an electronic fence would be ok, just wouldn't want to leave a pup out without me home because it's not them getting out, but what can get into the yard that would worry me. You might consider a doggie door and a decent sized run attached to it for during the day. You can also get dog doors with special collars as to who can activate them I believe (but if the run was enclosed, the cats wouldn't be able to get out).

I think it's great that you're thinking of adopting a greyhound :D You know Freak and I are biased to sighthounds ;) and they have very similar temperments to our whippets. They can be crazy fun when riled up, but are very content being couch potatoes. You'll have to work with the rescue to get a grey that's "cat safe" but they are definitley out there. Let us know how it turns out!

Oh, we crate all three of ours together (two xl crates together) and they do just fine.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
My dog has free reign of the house while we are at work. He is well behaved for the most part. He sits on the couch and watches tv. I work close enough to home that I can walk him at lunch time. His first 6 months he stayed in his crate, and we let him stay out while we were gone on a trial basis.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
my dog was crated from 8am to 4pm when she was a pup while we were at work. once she turned 1 or so, i let her have full range of the house when we were gone. she chewed the table up a bit, but thats about it.
if you are getting a greyhound, they love crates (as most dogs do). if you are worried about leaving them alone, crate them and they will be fine.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:

There is updated information on these greyhounds:

Greyhound Update (5/9/05)

Great news! The greyhounds at the Plainfield, CT track that is closing Are no longer under a May 15th deadline, and greyhound rescues and animal shelters across the region are working hard to find homes for all the retiring racers.

It is still unknown how many dogs are at the track, and of those how many will be continuing to race at other tracks, and how many will need to be placed in homes.

If you've received an email or seen a web posting that had our shelter's information listed as the contact group about helping the Plainfield greyhounds, please be aware that the Dakin Animal Shelter did not write or send these emails. Some well-meaning folks who thought they were helping, created and sent them.

Unfortunately, the emails contain information that is very outdated and no longer accurate. Also, it's vital that people who are not in our immediate area work with their local greyhound rescue. You can find your local rescue greyhound group on via the website www.adopt-a-greyhound.org, or shelters in your area working with greys at www.petfinder.org.

If you've tried to call us on the phone in the last week, you've also found out one of the other problems associated with the proliferation of emails bearing our information; with the volume of calls from places such as Saskatchewan and Texas - many hundreds of them per day - it's nearly impossible to get through on one of our three phone lines. We hope that this will lessen in the near future.

As of 5/6/05, the Plainfield greyhound track will no longer release greyhounds to the rescuer who was pulling greyhounds for us. We are told that this is because they are displeased with the emails circulating with our shelter's name and the information previously posted on our website.

It's unknown whether we will be able to help any more dogs from the Plainfield track at this time.

If you've contacted us in regard to fostering a greyhound, thank you for your kindness! If we are able to have new greys arrive at the shelter and are in need of more foster care, we will be in touch with you.

Karina King
Dakin Animal Shelter
www.dakinshelter.org

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I Are Baboon said:

When i got married my wife introduced a cat into my life and boom's . they learn to live with each other. Niether were happy at first but not the tolerate each other, sometimes sleeping on the same doggie bed. he eats her cat food now

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MtnBikerChk said:
They greyhound rescue people say that the racing greyhounds will just run right through the electric fence.
My brother's beagle does that...

run run run run run *YIP* run run run run run...

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
jacksonpt said:
My brother's beagle does that...

run run run run run *YIP* run run run run run...
My mom's beagle just tests the fence see if it's on. Every day she walks up to the boundary, hears the warning signal, backs up, repeats cycle the next day. The day the battery went dead in her collar she was outta there! My mom's 100lb choc lab though is a wuss baby and even if his collar isn't on won't even get close to the warning barrier!

BillT

Monkey
Sight hounds like a greyhound are not good trail dogs - by their nature as soon as they see some smaller than they are, they chase it down, so unless your trails are void of squirrels, birds, rabbits, etc, you are best looking at another breed if you want to take them out on the trails. That being said, I know several people with retired greyhound racers and they are incredible pets - very docile, loving, and all are crate trained. They are a big dog that doesn't take up a ton of room.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
BillT said:
Sight hounds like a greyhound are not good trail dogs - by their nature as soon as they see some smaller than they are, they chase it down, so unless your trails are void of squirrels, birds, rabbits, etc, you are best looking at another breed if you want to take them out on the trails. That being said, I know several people with retired greyhound racers and they are incredible pets - very docile, loving, and all are crate trained. They are a big dog that doesn't take up a ton of room.
If we get a greyhound it will not be joining us on rides.

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
As you know we have 2 lab mixes, one 9 and one 5. Since Tammy is taking a new job out of the house, they are going to be alone free to roam in the house for around 9-10 hours. The older one has done this before with no problem but it will be new for the younger one.

I know when we leave them during the day previously they have been fine and there are many times when overnight they will go 10-12 hours even while we are there- they are just too lazy to get up and ask to go out!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yeah, a greyhound would also suck on rides because they'd be out of gas after the first five minutes.

It would be a fast five minutes though :D

BillT

Monkey
I Are Baboon said:
If we get a greyhound it will not be joining us on rides.
Good plan - also don't ever take the dog outside of your house or a fenced in area without a leash - if they see anything small that's moving, they just take off after it and thats when they get lost and it takes hours to find them or worse, they get hit by a car.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Really really really pay close attention to what personality traits you would like your dog to have.
Certain breeds just cannot fulfill the wishes of their owners which is why you see so many purebreds in shelters.

For example: If you are looking for a dog that be home alone for many hours during the day you may wish to avoid many of the herding breeds (with the exception of German Shep.) and scent (not sight) hounds. They need to have a "job" to do or they get very restless and sometimes destructive.

If you are looking for a dog that is very affectionate and willingly follows you at your hip on walks you may wish to avoid any of the pointers and spaniels. As they are pretty much programed work independantly 50yds in front of people.

Many working group dogs (mastiff type, and mountain dog type) are very adept at spending time alone. As many of them are programed to guard their "territory" the time inside the house is their work. Many of them are bred to work with people (Bullmastiff, English Mastiff, and the draft dogs) and as such make very affectionate and gentle pets particularly for their size.

Both of my dogs have been stay at home pets.
Dutch was a rescue dog (English Pointer/German Shorthair). He was a great dog but pretty aloof in regard to people other than myself. He had no problem (even in his very old age) staying in the house for 8-15 hours.

Roxy my Bullmastiff is a really good girl too. She is currently 2 years old and just now getting the hang of being inside for that long. She usually stays in the yard though with access to the garage where there is a bed and food/water.

Attachments

Damn True said:
Really really really pay close attention to what personality traits you would like your dog to have.
Certain breeds just cannot fulfill the wishes of their owners which is why you see so many purebreds in shelters.

For example: If you are looking for a dog that be home alone for many hours during the day you may wish to avoid many of the herding breeds (with the exception of German Shep.) and scent (not sight) hounds. They need to have a "job" to do or they get very restless and sometimes destructive.

If you are looking for a dog that is very affectionate and willingly follows you at your hip on walks you may wish to avoid any of the pointers and spaniels. As they are pretty much programed work independantly 50yds in front of people.

Many working group dogs (mastiff type, and mountain dog type) are very adept at spending time alone. As many of them are programed to guard their "territory" the time inside the house is their work. Many of them are bred to work with people (Bullmastiff, English Mastiff, and the draft dogs) and as such make very affectionate and gentle pets particularly for their size.

Dutch was a rescue dog (English Pointer/German Shorthair). He was a great dog but pretty aloof in regard to people other than myself. He had no problem (even in his very old age) staying in the house for 8-15 hours.

Roxy my Bullmastiff is a really good girl too. She is currently 2 years old and just now getting the hang of being inside for that long. She usually stays in the yard though with access to the garage where there is a bed and food/water.
well the trait I keep reading about greyhounds is "COUCH POTATO." I think that suits us just fine! :)

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Damn True said:

That is some excellent well thought out advice.

And Mastiff's are SO cool. One of my dog's friends at the park is a Mastiff. He's a leaner, as in will walk up to you, and LEAN against you until you pet him to his content.

Since Oreo is part Pitbull (yes I know that is not just 1 breed) he has a veracious grip when he wants, and makes for a good match with the Mastiff that outweighs him by like 30lbs.

ah dogs are cool.

Get 1, or 2