Quantcast

Dog owners

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
MtnBikerChk said:
well the trait I keep reading about greyhounds is "COUCH POTATO." I think that suits us just fine! :)
Yeah, that sounds like a good matchand everyone I know who has rescued a grey has been really pleased with the choice.
I would be a little concerned though about the lack of a fence in your yard.
If your little missile spys a kitty on the far corner of the lot there is no way you will be able to catch it before it winds up in the street.

Damn True said:
Yeah, that sounds like a good matchand everyone I know who has rescued a grey has been really pleased with the choice.
If your little missile spys a kitty on the far corner of the lot there is no way you will be able to catch it before it winds up in the street.
even though he will be living with 2 kitties?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
MtnBikerChk said:
even though he will be living with 2 kitties?

That in itself may be a problem.
Are you getting a rescued racer?

Remember that the racer has spent the last few years of its life being trained to chase little fuzzy things that run fast. It has never been allowed to catch said little fuzzy thing. So it's tough to tell what it might do if/when it does.

Just be sure that the animal you get has been socialized with cats. Although that may not ensure he/she wont chase squirrels, racoons etc.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I read that retired racers can be trained not to chase your housecats. Plus, they come with a muzzle so the dog can't harm the cat while they get used to each other.

The agency we are talking to comes to your house for a visit before allowing you to adopt. They check out the house, the neighborhood, and us, then if they think we'll make good dog owners, they will find a dog that fits both us and the furry felines.

Damn True said:
That in itself may be a problem.
Are you getting a rescued racer?

Remember that the racer has spent the last few years of its life being trained to chase little fuzzy things that run fast. It has never been allowed to catch said little fuzzy thing. So it's tough to tell what it might do if/when it does.

Just be sure that the animal you get has been socialized with cats. Although that may not ensure he/she wont chase squirrels, racoons etc.
I'm pretty sure we've said it before in this thread - but I'll say it again - you tell the agency if you have other pets and they make sure you get a dog who was in a foster home with cats. Most of the dogs are socialized with other animals.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
before i picked up my current border collie, i wanted to adopt a grey. only problem was the current resident of the house (see avatar)
the BC herds her, dont know what a hunting dog would have done

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Damn True said:
Many greyhounds (rescue or not) live with kitties just fine. The difference between the pet and the neighborhood cat are that the pet is indoors and is part of the family, the cat wandering thru your yard is not and is therefor fair game.

From what I understand retired racers are even more prone to being couch potatoes because they're just ready to enjoy the lap of luxury :D Fair warning though, if you don't like pets on the couch you might have an uphill battle because they will generally want to be close to you and on the most comfortable couch in the house :D

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
MtnBikerChk said:
I'm pretty sure we've said it before in this thread - but I'll say it again - you tell the agency if you have other pets and they make sure you get a dog who was in a foster home with cats. Most of the dogs are socialized with other animals.
Yeah, I got that part, but thanks for the condescending tone just the same. I was merely pointing out the same thing that VG did above.

Sounds like you are already an expert so rock on!

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
Jumping in a little late..but...

My golden is home alone form 7am`ish to 6pmish 5days a week. I get up 5.30 and let him out-side he comes back in around 6.00 eats his breakfast (dog food and a few baby carrots) and is back asleep by 6.50ish. And when I get home he is still sound asleep in the same place he was when I left that morning.

Grey hounds are cool, i may get one for my next pooch, or maybe my a newf`y.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I Are Baboon said:
We're waiting for a phone call on that. I'm getting anxious....probably because I am so impatient.

CALL US, DAMMIT.
So..have they called yet, have they called yet, have they called yet? :D

Getting a dog is soooo exciting!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Velocity Girl said:
So..have they called yet, have they called yet, have they called yet? :D

Getting a dog is soooo exciting!
They guy called at 9:30 last night. We have a 7:30 appointment tonight! :dancing:

johnbryanpeters said:
Let me note this:

The sad death of my old dog Zeke is what freed up enough time to ride. Proper care of a dog eats a lot of time.

J
Riding isn't everything. I believe in having a well balanced life. :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
JBP makes a good point though. going away for the weekend doesn't mean putting out a few extra bowls of food, like w/ cats. it means hauling yr ass to the kennel to dump the dog there.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
JBP makes a good point though. going away for the weekend doesn't mean putting out a few extra bowls of food, like w/ cats. it means hauling yr ass to the kennel to dump the dog there.
We have family that is more than happy to help with weekend care. (we have already verified this). :)

Edit: Our family is a very dog-loving family.

johnbryanpeters said:
Let me note this:

The sad death of my old dog Zeke is what freed up enough time to ride. Proper care of a dog eats a lot of time.

J
I'd rather my life be defined by the people and pets that love me and I love. Not by how much time I get to ride my bike. :rolleyes:

The only place we ever go for the weekend is VT to ski - and a dog could come with us to my cousin's house.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
johnbryanpeters said:
Let me note this:

J
You could say the same thing about children to.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm sure IAB and MBC have all the bases covered and I think they would make great Greyhound owners. They have a lot of family living around them for support and doggie care needs etc. etc.

And they also have a very dog loving friend and riding buddy in me and I offer my help if and when they need it. :thumb:

Good luck on the home visit you two!!!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
I'm sure IAB and MBC have all the bases covered and I think they would make great Greyhound owners. They have a lot of family living around them for support and doggie care needs etc. etc.

And they also have a very dog loving friend and riding buddy in me and I offer my help if and when they need it. :thumb:

Good luck on the home visit you two!!!
:dancing:

You've already got a key to the house, too. :D

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
MtnBikerChk said:
ooohh, you are evil! :)

"why don't you give me a nice papercut and pour lemon juice in it?"
hehehe...actually just super excited for you guys! But looks like you guys got an appointment tonight....good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
<--- My dog, 15 month old pug.

She is home for about 8 hours during the day. Has full run of the house but she chooses to sleep on a old couch in the garage...right next to my bikes.

Zia Monkey

Chimp
Nov 12, 2004
My 10 month old Vizsla goes to dog day care from 7am to 5pm (dogworldabq.com) . Check out the webcam, they get to play all day with other dogs. The only bad part is the $14 a day.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Velocity Girl said:
hehehe...actually just super excited for you guys! But looks like you guys got an appointment tonight....good luck and let us know how it goes!!
Thanks, VG! Question for you...are your alien dogs real high jumpers? We are thinking of enclosing part of our yard with a fence so our pup can run around, but we don't want him to be able to jump over the fence.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
I Are Baboon said:
Thanks, VG! Question for you...are your alien dogs real high jumpers? We are thinking of enclosing part of our yard with a fence so our pup can run around, but we don't want him to be able to jump over the fence.
We have a 6ft wooden fence that they can't see out of....Now we know that they could probably jump over that fence, but they can't see out, so they're less likely to do so. We used to leave our dogs all day while they have access to the backyard in our old place and they never jumped the fence.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I Are Baboon said:
Yea, they can jump high, but as Freak said we haven't had much of a problem. We actually had a 4' fence in one yard and didn't have any problems with Jasper, but we only let him out when we were home. If the new pup will have access to the yard while you're not home, I'd recommend a taller fence, and one that doesn't have "climbing help"....ie: chain link or wooden with the beams across the middle on the inside....some dogs can use that as leverage to get out! Just give him/her a big 'ol cushy dog bed laid out in the sun with a few chewies and I doubt they'll ever even think leaving the yard ;)

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
I live in the country and I will never fence my land .My dog`s Snickers wire haired fox terrier and Ellie all dog, have free roam they are 10 month snickers and Ellie is about 15 months ,both are females and Ellie is fixed snickers is not yet fixed btw my tramp Ellie like to spend time at the neighbors house :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: she`s cheating on me :think: :think: :think:

I have two Mastiffs. They have the run of the house for 9hours a day. I am also a professional dog trainer, and what I can tell you is that you can leave your dogs for as long as they can hold their bladder. Alot of people use crate training as a method of potty training, due to the fact that dogs don't go to the bathroom where they sleep. If you have any other questions, shoot me a PM.

Mountainbiker