Quantcast

Dog people... where do you find information..

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
online about a different breeds?

A guy at the races this weekend had a SHIKA INUS dog and it was probably the coolest dog I've ever seen. I was looking for information on the breed but couldn't find anything but garbage sites out there.

J

JRB

I just go to ridemonkey. People are all about doing research so I don't have to. :think:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Mark...Shika Inu is another category of the Japanese "spitz" dogs containing Kishu, Kai Dog and Shikoku breeds. Shika(o) literally translates to "medium" inu "dog". Which one is it Stosh? Shika or Shiba Inu?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
moff_quigley said:
Mark...Shika Inu is another category of the Japanese "spitz" dogs containing Kishu, Kai Dog and Shikoku breeds. Shika(o) literally translates to "medium" inu "dog". Which one is it Stosh? Shika or Shiba Inu?
The Shiba Inu, how do you know so much about these dogs?

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
stosh said:
The Shiba Inu, how do you know so much about these dogs?
I used to "own" Akitas. I kinda got read up on the other breeds of Japanese dogs because of them.

We considered Shiba's for a bit, but when we were looking for dogs the Shiba was "the next big thing" at the time so the breeders were charging quite a bit more for them. I've known a few people that have owned them. Good dogs, maybe a little high strung, play like cats.

If space wasn't a concern I'd take an Akita over the Shiba. Just because I like bigger dogs and ours were quite mellow when they grew up.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
ewwww we had an akita puppy that I hated when i was younger. Nice to know that they mellow out when they get older because this one was fricking crazy. We didn't have it long.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
laura said:
ewwww we had an akita puppy that I hated when i was younger. Nice to know that they mellow out when they get older because this one was fricking crazy. We didn't have it long.
dang it, I'm getting the feeling this dog may be a little to hyper for our first dog.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
moff_quigley said:
I used to "own" Akitas. I kinda got read up on the other breeds of Japanese dogs because of them.

We considered Shiba's for a bit, but when we were looking for dogs the Shiba was "the next big thing" at the time so the breeders were charging quite a bit more for them. I've known a few people that have owned them. Good dogs, maybe a little high strung, play like cats.

If space wasn't a concern I'd take an Akita over the Shiba. Just because I like bigger dogs and ours were quite mellow when they grew up.
We are going to have about 5-acres for the dog to play on.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
You'll have to remember that "puppies will be puppies" and expect some damage...a leg on a piece of furniture, shoe, maybe pulled up carpet etc. Like I said, once ours passed puppyhood they were really great dogs. They did like to dig, but weren't hyper about it.

My advice for any breed that you pick...when you visit the puppies watch how they interact with each other. Don't pick the one that is putting the smack down on all the other ones and don't pick the one that is cowering in the corner.

An Akita is not a good running/trail dog. They're too big boned. Keep that in mind. Not sure about the Shiba.

5 acres? Rescued Greyhound perhaps?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
moff_quigley said:
You'll have to remember that "puppies will be puppies" and expect some damage...a leg on a piece of furniture, shoe, maybe pulled up carpet etc. Like I said, once ours passed puppyhood they were really great dogs. They did like to dig, but weren't hyper about it.

My advice for any breed that you pick...when you visit the puppies watch how they interact with each other. Don't pick the one that is putting the smack down on all the other ones and don't pick the one that is cowering in the corner.

An Akita is not a good running/trail dog. They're too big boned. Keep that in mind. Not sure about the Shiba.

5 acres? Rescued Greyhound perhaps?
Why does being big boned make them a poor trail dog?

J

JRB

stosh said:
People make fun of all dogs that are not dainty. I am telling you, get a heeler. Chicks love them.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
stosh said:
It's extra hard on the pads of their feet and joints...especially the hips. For a big dog (my male was 95lbs) that can be prone to dysplasia you gotta be careful with their hips. My dogs would run and generally have a blast playing, but they'd do it in small increments. Some dogs are built to run, others not so much.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
moff_quigley said:
It's extra hard on the pads of their feet and joints...especially the hips. For a big dog (my male was 95lbs) that can be prone to dysplasia you gotta be careful with their hips. My dogs would run and generally have a blast playing, but they'd do it in small increments. Some dogs are built to run, others not so much.
Ok well I figured since it was a hunting dog it could run a bit.

The dog seem pretty well mannered and I loved the size of him. I'm not really looking for a running dog but it would be nice for him to go for a ride with me sometimes.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've only known psycho Akitas, but I have only known a few. There was one in my Rotties first class that wanted to fight. Not a good idea when my Rottie was 110lbs.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Get a French Bulldog! They're huge in the East Village right now.

edit: They're really mellow too.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
stosh said:
Ok well I figured since it was a hunting dog it could run a bit.

The dog seem pretty well mannered and I loved the size of him. I'm not really looking for a running dog but it would be nice for him to go for a ride with me sometimes.
Please keep in mind that I was talking about the larger Akita. The Shiba might be a runner. I'm sure there are forums for Shiba owners that you could hit up for info about whether you could take them for runs or rides.

Jimmydean...We had two a male and female from different bloodlines. They were the most gentlehearted, chicken crap dogs ever. A chihuahua would have been able to take both of 'em with 3 paws tied behind it's back.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Stosh - if you are looking for a trail dog, I would look at breeds like Pointers, Labs, Goldens, etc. etc.

I would think hunting dogs of this type would make for good trail dogs, perhaps also herding breeds like Aussies or Border Collies (as long as they don't try and herd the bikes)

For a working breed - perhaps a Chinook would fit the bill. They are sled dogs, but are a bit different than a Siberian Husky or Malamute or Alaskan Husky in the fact that they slightly more of a homebody type of dog. http://www.chinooks.org, or http://www.chinook-dogs.org/ or http://www.chinook.org/

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Thanks for the info Mark!

I'm looking for a Med/Small dog.

I found this in one of the links about the Shina Imu's
"they can run for miles with an athletic companion or take their exercise chasing a tennis ball around the backyard."

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
stosh said:
Thanks for the info Mark!

I'm looking for a Med/Small dog.

I found this in one of the links about the Shina Imu's
"they can run for miles with an athletic companion or take their exercise chasing a tennis ball around the backyard."
Female Chinooks don't get that big.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
stosh said:
You are such a label whore!

:)

How was your weekend?
Pulled a last minute trip to Ninham in Carmel, NY on monday. That place is sooo tech, its over my head riding.

Dogs! You NEED a cute dog. Nobody wants to dog-sit an ugly pooch. You have to get the type of dog that mom sees and instantly makes a noise of complete cute-overload. It sounds like "oooooohmygodddyourprecioussss", you never have to look far for a sitter.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Screw that get a Czechoslovakian wolf dog
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/czechoslovakianwolfdog.htm

"In the year 1955 a biological experiment took place in the CSSR of that time, namely, the crossing of a German Shepherd Dog with a Carpathian Wolf. The experiment established that the progeny of the mating of a male dog to a female wolf as well as that of male wolf to female dog, could be reared. The overwhelming majority of the products of these mating possessed the genetic requirements for continuation of breeding. In the year 1965, after the ending of the experiment, a plan for the breeding of this new breed was worked out. This was to combine the usabelqualities of the wolf with the favorable qualities of the dog. In the year 1982, the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog, through the general committee of the breeder's associations of the CSSR of that time, was recognized as a national breed"

but seriously I found dogbreedinfo.com pretty useful, although I just browsed and haven't bought a dog based on it.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
The hits keep on coming! You see a ton of these little guys too! Min-Dachshunds. The wirehaired weiner dogs are cute as hell.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tame Ape said:
The hits keep on coming! You see a ton of these little guys too! Min-Dachshunds. The wirehaired weiner dogs are cute as hell.

They pee all over the carpet!

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
stosh said:
They pee all over the carpet!
House break them then Francis!:nopity:

edit: You could put one of them in your Camelbak when you go riding. It'd be like having R2D2 with you.