Quantcast

Dog senility?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Do dogs go senile?

I have a 14 year old Jack Russel, and I am pretty sure he's losing his goddamn mind. I put him in his cage, he howls and yelps like I was feeding him to the garbage disposal. Now I am often finding him staring at the floor at corners, which as its a new house its possible that he's seeing ghosts, but I don't really think so.

Think he's suffering? He does whimper from time to time, but from what I can tell when he goes on his nightly bat**** rip around the living room, he acts just like he was a puppy again. I don't want him to suffer at all, he's my kid, couldn't handle it if I was keeping him around just to keep my dumb ass company.

He's also ultra fond of the heating pad now. But I think that's just because he's a lazy bastard like his dad.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
Your hates corners. Dog digs new pad. Dog is in search of old bones hidden in old corners. All corners are the same. The senile dog looses its tail.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Back in their day my dogs were amazing killers. Bunnies, rats, a few dozen possums, and seven cats over the years.

They killed in stereo, one on the head one on the tail, would pop the spines. It was beautifully disturbing how good they were.

Now they're like retired warhorses. Mostly they sleep and help me write motions here at the house.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yes, dogs can definitely go senile.

Our lab mix, when he got into his last few years, would occasionally check out. You could see it - he just clearly didn't really know where he was. Usually it was just a couple minutes and he'd snap back into life and be okay again. We also had a dog (funny enough, a Jack Russell) that would stare at walls when she got old.

I figure as long as they're not in physical pain, they're usually still happy.

Jack Russells are amazing killers. The one that stared at walls killed at least two Fishers and three raccoons that we know of.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Every dog I've ever had that got too old and senile lost a hip and control of bowels and sight within a short period of time. Then we'd either have to have them to sleep or they'd sneak off under the porch and retire themselves. We always had boxers and they went to 10, 11 and then 14. Each one as they grew older just would bark more to play rather than move. It always made them feel like they were accomplishing something without budging an inch.

Now, I've got a 14 yr old lab mystery mix who has severely reduced vision and a bad front hip. He's now decided that barking is the new playing. It drives me insane, but I love the big dumb idiot. When his hip finally goes is when it will be time. That day will suck.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Now I am often finding him staring at the floor at corners, which as its a new house its possible that he's seeing ghosts, but I don't really think so.
The only one of ours that made it to old age did this. She would wander into a corner and then stand there until something snapped her out of whatever world she was in. The vet said it was fairly normal in older dogs, and suggested the same thing as BV, that she was fine as long as she wasn't in physical pain. She had another two or three happy years after the point where it started.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Every dog I've ever had that got too old and senile lost a hip and control of bowels and sight within a short period of time.
Our older pup is starting to have the bowel issues. We've already been told she has hip arthritis and her eyes are clouding up. She'll be 11 in a few weeks. 12 seems to be the magic number for greyhounds.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
He's not crapping all over yet. His hips seem to be giving him some issues, he won't get on the couch anymore and can't jump up to the bed, but when he gets into his late night (0300) goof ball routine, you wouldn't know it was bothering him.

He's a grand old dog. Still loves to chase his much younger and retarded sister around the yard. But I am loathing that day where its time to make "the choice", I've had the idiot since I was 20.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Every dog I've ever had that got too old and senile lost a hip and control of bowels and sight within a short period of time. Then we'd either have to have them to sleep or they'd sneak off under the porch and retire themselves. We always had boxers and they went to 10, 11 and then 14. Each one as they grew older just would bark more to play rather than move. It always made them feel like they were accomplishing something without budging an inch.

Now, I've got a 14 yr old lab mystery mix who has severely reduced vision and a bad front hip. He's now decided that barking is the new playing. It drives me insane, but I love the big dumb idiot. When his hip finally goes is when it will be time. That day will suck.
The barking to play bit got me waxing nostalgic about our old family dog. He was an Australian Shepard--a big one--who lived to 14. His last hike was at 13 and I carried him down the trail because he just stopped and stared at me with a big smile on his face like, "Welp! I'm beat! How 'bout you?" So after that it was dog park only and he would go out into the middle of this field and bark and bark and wag his tail like he was having the time of his life. Awww pups. Keep your baby until he's in pain. He's good for now.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I've had dogs do the weird staring thing as well. like others, it was accompanied by things such as crapping in the house and getting lost in the yard in fairly short order. It is a good sign that your little dude is still playing and active but you might want to start mentally preparing yourself. You will know when his time is up.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Our older pup is starting to have the bowel issues. We've already been told she has hip arthritis and her eyes are clouding up. She'll be 11 in a few weeks. 12 seems to be the magic number for greyhounds.
Do you have your dog on a joint compound? I would have had to put my last dog down several years before her time without it. It was hard to believe how much of a difference it made. Look for something with Glucosamine and Chondroitin.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Do you have your dog on a joint compound? I would have had to put my last dog down several years before her time without it. It was hard to believe how much of a difference it made. Look for something with Glucosamine and Chondroitin.
We do, but she started to have bowel issues around the same time we started giving her the pills. We've stopped with the pills for now since that was the only change to her diet.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
Add string peas and or oatmeal. That will clog your dog. I worked in many pet stores. Low protein will also help. Lamb will usually help with sensitive stomachs as will bison. Fish must be avoided as also chicken. Both are bad and from the ocean. No way I cannot remember what the special cook yourself diet is. Solid gold, holistic is very nice. Solid gold lamb or bison with string peas and oatmeal is the way you can start. Don't overfeed the glucosumine and conjointent stuff. Boil those peas.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Add string peas and or oatmeal. That will clog your dog. I worked in many pet stores. Low protein will also help. Lamb will usually help with sensitive stomachs as will bison. Fish must be avoided as also chicken. Both are bad and from the ocean. No way I cannot remember what the special cook yourself diet is. Solid gold, holistic is very nice. Solid gold lamb or bison with string peas and oatmeal is the way you can start. Don't overfeed the glucosumine and conjointent stuff. Boil those peas.
:think: