Quantcast

Dogs and riding

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Maybe not DH. But, this is where I usually post.

Anyone got tick problems w/ their dog on trail rides ?

I've got Frontline on her. But the ticks still make it into the house.

I was thinking of getting something more potent. Advantage or a flea collar maybe. But, I've got kids... They say it might hurt them.

I'm going to ask the vet tommorow. But, I wanted to get some real world ideas here first.

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
Front Line Applied twice as often as recomended works best for me. Some places the ticks are so rampant that doesn't stop them all so I allways give the dog a once over before loading in the car at the end of the day. Frontline stops the ticks from biting but they seem to be able to still hang on for a ride on the dog's fur.

Zedro, I hear you man. Next time you should bump the dogs slightly:angry: I know that is how I taught my dog to get out of the way :D

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Last time I was at the vet, they were saying something about a new Frontline kind of stuff that doesn't just kill the ticks, but repels them as well. Surprisingly, my dogs get relatively few ticks (even though they're outside a running around in the woods alomst all day), so I didn't ask too many questions about it.

Ask your vet though, and I'm sure they'll have more info.

--JP
P.S. Riding with your dog(s) is the best!

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Thanks guys.

I'm going to call the Vet. I ride up on Cape Ann MA.

Lyme tick north.

Usually she pick up dog ticks. Only one deer tick to date i'm aware of.

Riding w/ dogs is cool. Sorry anyone else feels different. I love it.

John P, You and I are on near identical builds. What is that rear shock ? Waht are you weighing in at any idea ?

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Frontline did not work for my dogs.
I swithced over to K9 Advantix. It worked much better.
You also might want to get an extimenator to swing by a few times before your house and yard get infested. I didn't and we had a huge problem.
Now we have Dewy pest control come every other month too.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I recently apopted some black labs and I have started taking them on rides with me. I rode yesterday and noticed a tick crawling on her fur. We use Frontline and other than that one tick, I've never noticed them locked on, only crawling.

As for riding with dogs, I try to be as mindful as possible. When I'm near a lot of people I put her on a leash. With one of them still a puppy, she likes to do a lot of jumping and licking and she doesn't know when to stay out of the way, yet. I don't take them downhilling because lanky labs aren't the fastest dogs in the world. But they love to help build trails and jumps.

I have a buddy who takes his heeler with him and early on I ran over her on a down hill. I had to bail off the bike at a high rate of speed. I hit the ground pretty hard. Of course we were XC riding, so I had no armor on except my helmet. I felt pretty bad for the dog. My chain ring cut her a little bit. I guess because I DH and wreck a lot, I didn't mind wrecking to not kill her. I was really more worried about her, but I could see how most people wouldn't feel the same way.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by profro
I guess because I DH and wreck a lot, I didn't mind wrecking to not kill her. I was really more worried about her, but I could see how most people wouldn't feel the same way.
i've rethought my policy since i realized i'm unable to harm an innocent animal anyway, next time i'll just swerve into the stupid owner for putting me and his dog into danger .....

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Nah, I had respect for the owner, cuz I know he has respect for me. If I hadn't knwo the guy, I might not have thought this way.:monkey:

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
not to be a thread nazi but hey john p, hows the bullit w/ psylo workin out for ya? is it an ok combo or can u feel the travel dif between front/rear?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by zedro
i got a problem with people who bring their dogs on the trails. Next time i wont kill myself trying to stop from hitting them....

ok mini-rant over....
I have killed myself trying not to hit my own dog(s) but it's all worth it for the companionship. My buddies dog has been run over by a bike before at speed and he walked away. Use a cowbell on congested trails to let 'em know you're comin'!

As far as ticks go, Frontline and a flea collar works pretty good, or at least better than anything else, this time of year it is inevitable.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by punkassean
Use a cowbell on congested trails to let 'em know you're comin'!

wait, i gotta use a cowbell?

anyways, my rant is more directed towards the use of lift assisted DH purpose trails where dogs have no place (like on a race course, or highway...). Its nice and all that they have the companionship, but that doesnt make it ok to crap on my lawn, so to speak.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
wait, i gotta use a cowbell?

anyways, my rant is more directed towards the use of lift assisted DH purpose trails where dogs have no place (like on a race course, or highway...). Its nice and all that they have the companionship, but that doesnt make it ok to crap on my lawn, so to speak.
A dog anywhere near a DH course should be leashed for sure, same goes for the highway, I was just referring to general MTB'ing on shared use public trails...Dog poo on my tires pisses me off, I have had it fling up on my clothes. Owners should be more responsible about picking up poo:mad:

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by punkassean
Dog poo on my tires pisses me off, I have had it fling up on my clothes. Owners should be more responsible about picking up poo:mad:
LOL. That would suck so much. I geuss I better stop squating on the trails

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i find that alot of dog owners are like alot of parents; selfish selfish selfish....
Oh my god, my girlfriend and I just had that conversation. Seems burning man (yeah that one) wants to institute decency standards this year because too many "parents" are complaining about exposure of various things to their little precious something somethings. At an event not created by, nor intended for anyone less than an adult, the parents get a voice in policy based on what the evironment should be for their kids. If you want disney, go to orlando fer chrissakes.

People complained about dogs long enough, they got banned. I'm starting the kid version this year.

ALSO........When it snows, I go backcountry skiing with a friend of mine who brings his border collies along. They like running in front of you and I had no problem hitting them a few times. They learned......eventually. :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by kidwoo

People complained about dogs long enough, they got banned. I'm starting the kid version this year.

See, I wouldn't complain so much, I'd just ask the organizers to supply me with ammo.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by kidwoo

this is what i hate about Jay Peak; the apres-ski sucks because for some reason kiddies are allowed in bars...wtf? so i buy a beer and cant sit down because a bunch of toddlers are hogging the tables? state laws really baffle me sometimes...

...sorry for the non-sequitur...

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I dislocated my shoulder riding w/ a dog.

Lynn woods near Bow Ridge. The fallen tree w/ the ramps...

My buddy's dog got in the way while I was riding it lengthwise. I took a hand off to wave the dog out of the way. Front tire slips and I came up w/ my arm stuck over my head. Hasn't been the same since. Probhably 12+ dislocations. Last episode 3+ hours out. Never a good time to get it fixed.

prerogative

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
Danvers, MA
Originally posted by gmac
I dislocated my shoulder riding w/ a dog.

Lynn woods near Bow Ridge. The fallen tree w/ the ramps...

My buddy's dog got in the way while I was riding it lengthwise. I took a hand off to wave the dog out of the way. Front tire slips and I came up w/ my arm stuck over my head. Hasn't been the same since. Probhably 12+ dislocations. Last episode 3+ hours out. Never a good time to get it fixed.
The ramps are gone . . . so is much of Bow Ridge . . . bummer . . . can still ride the tree though . . .

I don't have a problem with the dogs. It's not as bad this time of year, since they don't always run the trails. When plants & stuff grow up, the dogs end up in your way more.

Dog Poo - Ugh. We made a guy go far away last year on a nightride to clean the poo off his tire. At first, we couldn't figure out why the smell wouldn't go away.