Quantcast

Dogs - Beagos: anyone heard of them?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
I think I found the type of dog I want to get when I move into my new place in September. My girlfriend and I both have our favorite breeds - mine a beagle hers golden retrievers. So I was doing some research last night on breeds that would be good for the style of living I could provide, etc. and came across a hybrid (designer dog breed), Beagos.

I bummer is I can't find much information on them, or even where I might find a breeder. Anyone heard of them before? I'm worried I got my hopes up for a dog I won't be able to find.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I've never heard of them.

Designer breeds/mixes are generally just over priced mutts.

Look at the NKC website, it may be on there. More likely not, but try.

It looks like a gold colored beagle.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
yeah, my gr is basicly the best dog ever, not meaning to brag ;). there's a beagle that lives right by me and it runs at me everytime it sees me on my bike. apparently it hasn't earned that the leash ends 3 ft before the sidewalk

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
I'll tell ya, the response I've got about this from everyone today (not on RM - but in the dog sites) has been horrid. I thought PinkBike was bad, these dog sites are supposedly mature adults, they act like they are 13 year old dicks. Call me not very educated about dog breeding, I've seen plenty of muts who are just fine. Yet all these dog people are flipping out over my even asking about a hybrid breed that's mentioned on the site they are discussing this with me... just want to reach through the monitor and slap someone.

Guess I'll probably just end up with a mut from the pound. Beagles are fine, just have to raise them well, ours (minus the reaction Rhino got) is decent, and I know we didn't raise her all that well. But she loves you like no other animal I've ever been around. GRs unfortunately have so many genetic problems it's hard to find a well bred dog, just scares me to think about the medical bills.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I would strongly suggest that if you want a mixed breed dog you go to a shelter or rescue. A mixed/designer dog from a breeder or petstore is most likely coming from a backyard breeder or even worse, a puppy mill. The problem with backyard breeders and puppy mills is that the proper health tests aren't generally done so you actually increase the chance that the dog will have the genetic defects of the breed (and in the case of a mixed breed, you then have two sets of those). Reputable breeders do quite a few tests to try and avoid passing these problems on down the line.

I've been on pet forums so I can only guess some of the harsh things some have said when this subject comes up. Unfortunately alot of those people deal with rescues/fosters and see first hand the problems that come from bad breeding (puppy mills of course being the worst offenders) so I think they can get a bit "over zealous" at times (and realize that not everyone knows the bad side of dog breeding that they do). You did the right thing in asking for information first, but I would really hope that after knowing where these dogs come from that you please reconsider getting one from anyone who calls themselves a "breeder".

As for the breeds....I grew up with a golden and my mom has a beagle. Both great dogs, both with their pluses and minuses.

Good luck!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Get a puggle, they are so in right now. :rolleyes:

I would get a dog from either the pound or a rescue group. My wifes dog is one of the few I ever got from a breader, but it was something she wanted. My last big dog was a Boxer mix I got from the pound and she was the best dog I've ever had.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i wonder what a daschund and a shi tzu would look like. and would they call it a veiner shnitzu?(yeah its dumb, im just bored and dead tired while i finish editing a video for a tv production presentation tomorrow. its so much fun when the most important part of the tape skips like crazy! :rolleyes:)

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
My first choice has always been to rescue a pup, and hopefully I'll get the chance to. And I'll probably end up doing that.

Laura - thanks for the advice; I agree with you on a lot of that and will do a ton of research before I come home with any dog. I've grown up with them so I know what to look out for. We got our Beagle from a breeder and spent months researching the breed and the breeder.

Unfortunately I'll probably be in a moderately small place (apartment/condo, townhouse if I am lucky) so I need to choose a dog appropriately. I'm active so I don't doubt I can keep up with and give a dog the excercise one would need. But there are also things I need to consider; I'll be working full time so it will be alone until I am home (unless I do the doggy day care thing - which i have heard has its pluses and minuses) and my girlfriend loves cats and if I get my dog, shes going to want her cat - however she's not living with me right away so the dog would have to warm up to a cat and not kill it. She already made it clear, if my dog ends up hurting her cat... out with the dog.:(

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
spincrazy said:
It's pretty, whatever they want to call it.
I like it too, but it just looks like a Golden Lab puppy.

mplutodh1, I would say that the rescue shelter is the way to go, unless you have a specific task for the gog to do, i.e. catch foxes, then a mixed breed will be best. The high end designer breeds, when done propperly are usually so much money it seems silly, especially when you can get a cute, freindly lab mix at the pound for so cheap. If you don't get your designer dog from a reputable breeder then it will likley not turn out so great in the end.

But, gey it's your dog, so get whatever you want, just train it well and take care of it and everything will work out.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
BurlyShirley said:
Go to the local pound and ask for a lab mix. it'll be close enough.

I am soooo sick of 'designer dogs'.
Or more appropriately, the @sshats making tons of money off their new sensations.

I've got friends who paid $1k for a cockapoo. Cute dog and all, but it all came down to being trendy.

The puppy mills that are producing these dogs are absolutely horrendous, and know that people would rather be trendy than actually care for an animal.

Get a critter from the shelter.