Quantcast

Domain vs Lyrik vs Talas

Mar 9, 2009
Building up my first freeride/allmountain bike. It's between a Nomad and a Slopestyle. I'm having trouble deciding on a fork as well. I will be climbing a bit on the bikes so I prefer the travel adjustment.

The fork I'm not sure about. I can get a 2008 Talas for the same price as an 09 Lyrik. Or, I could just save some cash and get a 318 Domain. What would be the best choice? I'm less than 150 lbs and I don't plan on doing any drop bigger than 10ft.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
I ran a domain 318 on my bottle rocket for a long time and loved the durability. But for the weight. The Talas 36 or the Lyrik would be the best choice. My preference would be the 36 Talas.

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
Nothing wrong with the Domain especially if you have the compression adjustment. Stiffening up the fork will make climbing easier with that fork. The weight may become an issue on longer uphill climbs, but it is definitely worth the money if you'll be descending more often than climbing. My bro has one on his bighit and I even ran it on my enduro for a bit. It's super smooth, if it's not smooth enough for ya just take out a spacer or two from the left leg.

The Fox is good all round. Just be sure that you choose the RC2 version and not the R, it makes a HUGE difference in sensitivity to bumps. I had the 07 R on my enduro and it sucked balls. If I met the right amount of sag, it felt too stiff on the trails, if i took 10 psi out I bottomed out very easily. Maybe there was something wrong with my fork, but my buddy has the RC2 version and its buttery smooth.

Haven't had any experience on the Lyrik.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
Skip the TALAS if you're going Fox and go Float. Better durability, less to break, and cheaper. My 08 TALAS is stellar when it works, but over the past 2yrs this has equaled maybe 5 days of riding. If you really need the travel adjust pony up for the 09 TALAS with the new TALAS cart. design.

FWIW, a buddy has been very stocked on his 318 Domain mounted to a Bullit.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I'm a bigger guy and I do not ride shy away from bigger stuff. I've been on a Lyrik Solo Air for a while now and I have no complaints at all. I use it for everywhere I ride (generally Shore and Whistler) and it has held up to everything. Some say the Fox is stiffer, but I can't say that I notice much flex (I do have a 1.5 steerer, though). If you go Fox, don't bother with the R. RC2 or Lyrik is the way to go.

SavageOne

Chimp
Oct 3, 2008
SLC, UT
I have a Lyrik U turn coil on my Slopestyle and have had no issues at all. With a 1.5 steerer tube I can not feel any flex issues at all. My only regret is that I had to sell my 07' 66 SL1 because I cut the steerer tube to fit my Canfield CanDiggle with a shorter headtube.

Lyrik or an 07' 66 SL1

Attachments

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I have not spent much time on either one, but I have spent lots of time on their respective smaller counterparts, the Pike and the Lyrik. The Totem is going to be much more adjustable. The Domain is a bit more "set and forget." This is not always a good thing. I really like my Pike, but it has a few characteristics that I wish I could get rid of (like the fact that I have to run the compression quite high to stop it from diving too much, but then the small bump compliance is not quite a plush as it could be). The adjustments on the Lyrik allow me to get the fork to feel exactly how I want it to feel.

Really, I would not hesitate to run either one, but I would choose the Totem over the Domain.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I have not spent much time on either one, but I have spent lots of time on their respective smaller counterparts, the Pike and the Lyrik. The Totem is going to be much more adjustable. The Domain is a bit more "set and forget." This is not always a good thing. I really like my Pike, but it has a few characteristics that I wish I could get rid of (like the fact that I have to run the compression quite high to stop it from diving too much, but then the small bump compliance is not quite a plush as it could be). The adjustments on the Lyrik allow me to get the fork to feel exactly how I want it to feel.

Really, I would not hesitate to run either one, but I would choose the Totem over the Domain.
The pike is a great fork but soft from the factory. Sounds like you need a stiffer spring. I had the same problem ordered the next heavier spring and it is perfect.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Yeah, I did that. Got an X-Firm in there and it still dives like Greg Lougainis.
wow weird I put in the x-firm spring also and I don't have a problem. Maybe low on oil? i am sure you tried messing with the MOCO and the flood gate.
I am actually going back to the firm spring because I am using the pike more for trail and slalom now. the x-firm is way too stiff for that kind of riding