Quantcast

Domestic Policy flip-flop by Colin Powell :rolleyes:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
in Feb 2002, Sec. Colin Powell tells an MTV audience:
"It's the lives of young people that are put at risk by unsafe sex. And, therefore, protect yourself."
and yesterday, he tells the beeb:
"Abstinence works. We know it works ... and it is a perfectly sensible strategy to take to young people."
is this yet another reason why gov't should stay out of the bedrooms?
or rather, why is the Sec of State speaking on personal health issues? I liken this to actors speaking about Foreign Policy.

as if...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Unless there is more to the story....

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. A messege like "Protect yourself if you are going to have sex, but abstinence is even safer still.........

It isn't like he says "please protect yourself" one day, and then turns around and says "there is nothing to worry about go be free and don't worry about protection."

That would be like flipping a coin.

Atleast to me. :monkey:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
yeah, uhh, I don't see how he flip-flopped and there's a big difference between understanding the basics of safe-sex and foreign policy so I have no problem with him doing that.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
from the above Independent site:
"You are not ready for this, so let's take your energy and any hopes and dreams you have and convert that into other healthy activities ... dance, group activities, other things."
(is he implying that sex is healthy?)

and from that mtv link:
"In my own judgment, condoms are a way to prevent infection," he said. "Therefore, I not only support their use, I encourage their use among people who are sexually active and need to protect themselves."
when these are juxtaposed, it does appear he's dancing a jig, eh?

and of course, there's the erstwhile Surgeon Gen'l, David Satcher, who BTW should be speaking to this:
"there is no evidence that abstinence-only teaching works."
even if abstinence does...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i dunno, it seems like you have an agenda with this thread... just come out and say it cuz I'm confused.

Saying "use a condom IF you're sexually active" is a far cry from telling kids to have sex. It *sounds* like he's saying, don't have sex, but if you do, please use a condom.

(is he implying that sex is healthy?)
of course he is... for adults.

there is no evidence that abstinence-only teaching works
And someone (me) can assume he's saying, "so please teach about condoms along side abstinence."

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Originally posted by LordOpie
i dunno, it seems like you have an agenda with this thread... just come out and say it cuz I'm confused.
perhaps i do. Being that he serves at the pleasure of the president (no one elected him), and the president has pushed an abstinence heavy policy, he seems like a prodigal son of sorts.

also, i was lurking at a personhood debate forum elsewhere & my head hurt.

who's prodigal now? :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by $tinkle
perhaps i do. Being that he serves at the pleasure of the president (no one elected him), and the president has pushed an abstinence heavy policy, he seems like a prodigal son of sorts.

also, i was lurking at a personhood debate forum elsewhere & my head hurt.

who's prodigal now? :D
Prodigal son? Well, at least he's not a lap dog and does speak his mind. Demanding abstinence sounds like a religious policy and should be kept out of the Administration, but emphasizing it and backing it up with condoms just sounds smart.

personhood debate forum :confused: :monkey: so you decided to come here and hurt our heads? ;) :D