Quantcast

Donation Question

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
Looking through the list of companies donating to the cause for aide in LA, I noticed some where matching customer donations. Would it make sense to seek these companies out and make a donation through them if you were to make a monatary donation instead of going straight to the red cross?

I know a lot of them have a cap:

"Lowe's Companies will match in-store customer contributions up to $1 million."

link

So if I were to donate X amount I could divide it up and seek out as many companies that were matching as possible to spread the money around.

Just a thought, have been reading about rescue efforts and the situation down there and can't even think straight anymore. Seems like everything that could have gone wrong has.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Giving is the most important thing and doing so where someone is going to match it makes a lot of sense.

I know what you mean. Its overwhelming. We have had a hard time with my father in law. He was born and raised in NO with most of his family still there. One of his brothers is still missing so that's got him upset. Plus everytime they mention somewhere he thinks about it. Its really got him down. Even my wife is depressed about it all as she spent a good deal of her childhood there as well. The church we got married in was most certainly flooded.

Sorry, I'm not helping.

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
On another note, sorry if this gets a little political but this really burns my ass.

"Tesoro Corporation, the second largest US oil refinery, will donate $100,000 to the Red Cross and Salvation Army and match employee contributions. Tesoro will also be helping the city of San Antonio food bank on Friday collect food to be sent to Louisiana, Mississippi, etc."

$100K? Yeah they will match employee contributions. I looked at their website and they have 4,000 employees. That means if every employee gives $100 Tesoro will shell out a heafty $400,000 on top of their very generous $100k. Come on.......that is just sad. I hope there is some trust fund baby working there that throws out $10 million just so they have to match it.

I would have paid CNN not to print that. I will be an ass and assume that the crude they refine comes through NO....they could have given more to a city that has given them so much.......

The funny thing is Tesoro means treasure in Spanish.....the irony.