Quantcast

Dont Get Screwed By This Guy

korked7

Monkey
Aug 8, 2002
Park City, Utah, USA
Recently I did a trade with DHGH. I traded my 03 Santa Cruz Bullit and Arrow rear rim laced to an XT hub for his Cortina DHE-8 with rear Mavic 321 rim laced to a Ringle hub. We went through shops to make sure there was no scams. Making sure that the frames got boxed up all nice and that the frames were infact being shiped out. Everything went well untill today. I got the frame on Monday the 31st of January and today (wednsday the 2nd of Feb.) I took it into my LBS (Go-Ride.com's store) to get it built up. They were looking over it and found a large crack in the weld under the head tube, one on the weld of the gusset on the top tube, and one in the swing arm. I called him up and asked him if he would like to either A. Re-Trade bikes (he complained of my bike being in poor condition aswell so i figured he wouldnt have a problem) or B. Pay to have the bike sent back to Cortina at the price of about $650 USD to get the swing arm repaired and the front end completly replaced. He denied both options and said "thats too bad, its the way buying used equipment goes" I am 100% aware of the risks taken when buying/trading over the internet but he was so adament about getting everything perfect so no one is screwed over in the end. I figured he'd try to be helpful. Boy was I wrong. Anyway he told me that he had Cortina go over the frame and service it. He also said the frame had'nt been ridden since it got serviced. The frames pivots were dirty and they looked like they hadnt been touched by Cortina in a very long time. My LBS called Cortina Cycles and talked to them and they said they knew who the guy was. They said that they went over the frame..... over a year ago. Im really upset about this whole thing because I was really excited to get my new bike and start riding it. Ive wanted a Cortina for a long time and when i got one it was broken. Please if you buy used equipment dont buy it from him. He is selling a fork in the buy and sell. Dont get screwed like i did. I'd hate to see it happen to an other Monkey.
Here are some links to him.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=107488
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/member.php?u=8755

Be careful!
Taylor

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
He's been trying to swap that frame FOREVER it seems like. Now I know why he was so insessent(sp?) on getting rid of it. That really sucks that you got swindled there. What do you think you're going to do about the frame? Get it replaced or what?

korked7

Monkey
Aug 8, 2002
Park City, Utah, USA
i dunno. i can send it back to Cortina and get the front end replaced and the swing arm "fixed" altho that makes me nervous cuz a repair cant b as strong. I could also just get a new bike and get hit hard with debt. but hey, atleast i'd have something to ride this year.... its gonna seriously **** up my race season tho.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
korked7 said:
i dunno. i can send it back to Cortina and get the front end replaced and the swing arm "fixed" altho that makes me nervous cuz a repair cant b as strong. I could also just get a new bike and get hit hard with debt. but hey, atleast i'd have something to ride this year.... its gonna seriously **** up my race season tho.
That's a bummer dude. :( Does Cortina have a crash replacement thing so that you could just get new front and rear ends?

korked7

Monkey
Aug 8, 2002
Park City, Utah, USA
i could send it back and get the whole thing replaced by cortina for like 800 bones. thats alot of money but it'd b a brand new bike. i dont know. im just pissed i got had. he knew the cracks were there the whole time. cortina told him the cracks were there over a year ago.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
That blows. Didn't the shop that packaged the bike inform you about it before you shipped? Sorry to hear that you got taken for a ride...

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
korked7 said:
i could send it back and get the whole thing replaced by cortina for like 800 bones. thats alot of money but it'd b a brand new bike. i dont know. im just pissed i got had. he knew the cracks were there the whole time. cortina told him the cracks were there over a year ago.
If he isn't willing to reverse your trade, do you have a statement from Cortina in writing or from someone reputable who might speak on your behalf? I'm certainly not a lawyer, but if they did actually tell him about it a year ago, and he made this so-called deal knowing that, you might have a case of fraud on your hands.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
This is total bologna. If he knew it was cracked and didn't tell you about it then he is a total SOB.

I know in the past the Cortina's have repaired many cracked bikes with gussets and sent them out for re heat-treating. I know lot's of guys with repaired DH-8's that are holding up very well. I wonder why they didn't offer that to you? What is DHGH's real name, it is highly possible I know him since I lived in SB for four years and managed the local Cortina dealer.

He should trade you back and call it even, but since he's unwilling to do that it makes me want to bombard him with negative PM's/posts etc until he realizes that you can't do this to someone in such a small community like the bike industry. Maybe Ben can give us some insight. I would really like to hear DHGH's side of the story as well.

Either way this stinks :dead:

J

JRB

Look at the dude's name on yahoo - california_blond_devil

Anyone with a name like that can't be trusted.

Bummer korked. He'll get his one day. Rest assured.

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
I saw that thread. He said it was in good condition and all that... what a douche. I think he was in some pictures with dexterqr20 today posted in the lounge? You might want to try and get in touch with him?

EDIT: He WAS in dexters post earlier today. It appears his picture is no longer in that thread.... isn't that interesting. It had a picture of this guy riding some of that single track with no helmet on, and dexter replied with a rolls eye smiley.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
ito said:
Oh, we got contacts.......something is going to happen......

The Ito
Time to make your chain whip a little longer. I had a fight with some kid in my room last year at boarding school, and had it lying on a couch, so i picked it up and let him get a closer look at the buisness end of a mnt bike tool! :thumb:

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
I hate stuff like this. Makes me afraid to do any buying over the internet. You'd think people would be decent. Obviously Dexterq20 knows this guy well since he went riding with him today. Dexter has always seemed like a nice guy, but editing DHGH out of the picture is kinda shady. I saw DHGH's buy and sell thread, too, and thought it was an awesome bike. I wish you the best of luck korked.

Laaaame.

J

JRB

I have a good idea. Have mack send some PMs to him until he stops being a tool and returns it. I would have that bike back yesterday.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
loco said:
I have a good idea. Have mack send some PMs to him until he stops being a tool and returns it. I would have that bike back yesterday.
No i think your the only tool who really cares about spelling. But ill keep it in mind if you ever rip me off. ;)

J

JRB

mack said:
No i think your the only tool who really cares about spelling. But ill keep it in mind if you ever rip me off. ;)
Based on earlier response today, I would say you are wrong.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Geoff G. said:
ridemonkey mafia bitch, they're coming for you now!!!!!!!!! :devil: :evil:
This be the pinkbike mafia taking over.....and no jokes about 14 year old canadians on Norcos..... :D

We make house calls now :eek:

The Ito

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Curb Hucker said:
If DHGH shows up at sea otter I'd have no problem stealing his...err your bike back and mailing it to you for a small fee :evil:
Finders fee of 50 dollars. ;)